Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

painting Duratex?

I just put two coats of Duratex on part of my budding SDC project. I bought the white Duratex and wow it is WHITE. So I decided to try and tint it using some deep black tint I had lying around. Even after I mixed a bunch in, the color is still a bit lighter than medium grey but unfortunately has dried to a blue-ish gray color. It's not really a good look.

I am wondering what I could put down on top to change or adjust the color a bit. Could I rattle can it? Maybe a very light coat might make it a bit more eye pleasing... The final color will be right next to a black part of the build so most any color could work I guess.

Any advice on those who have tried this same thing or know of what I should and should not try here?

TIA

Tagged:

Comments

• I recently refinished my "Manganese" outdoor speakers. This attempt used two coats of Kilz 3 primer followed by two coats of white Duratex and two coats of exterior latex paint on the sides (the blue color). I just used a foam roller for the exterior latex coats and it went on pretty easily.

Steve_Lee6thplanet4thtrycharlielaub
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • I went interior latex over black Exo-Hyde.

4thtryScottSTurn2charlielaub
  • Yep, painting Duratex is doable. I'm pretty sure JR has done this too, but I used it as a primer for paint once. It was a little tough to sand, but took spray paint like a champ.

• Duratex makes a great filler primer.

I have a signature.
  • I too have rolled on a color coat or two of indoor and outdoor latex/acyrlic house paint over Duratex with great results. YMMV