Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Vortex15 as mix monitors

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18aJsQS_u98jqSAEZy4Kgx-GzDGCZrcPJ/view?usp=drivesdk

I spent Father's day in the basement having a jam. We pulled this out of our ass and played it down. All tracked and mixed onboard with my Tascam model 16. All 57s on guitars, snare, and toms..Beta52a on kick..Oktava sec overheads, set up in Recorderman configuration. Mixed on the diysoundgroup Voryex15 coax monsters. Got the walls quaking with 500 watts/ channel! My buddy Lee is left channel PRS, Wade right channel Strat, Roger on Jazz Geddy, me on Oak Customs, with combo Sabian/ Zildjian. Hope that you dig it. Jeff was my favorite rock guitarist, and we layed down a take of Stratus, and like a dumb dumb head, I accidentally erased it. Argh! Next up will be laying some more drums for 6thplanet!! Glenn.

kenrhodes6thplanet

Comments

• Good meter, Glen!

Solid.

:+1:

• Thanks Steve! If I were doing a track session, vs. a jam, I would have layed a click, and that wouldn't have been a keeper, but it was a blast just jamming with the guys, and seeing what we came up with. We ended up recording four different instrumentals, and when Roger had to split, Wade and Lee laid 2 more guitar tracks over a couple of originals that my girlfriend wrote. And, I got out on one of my motorcycles for a ride afterwards. Great day....I wish I could get paid big bucks to just do that! Are you still doing a good but of recording and mixing? 😁Glenn.

• Naw, I heard you play and I just gave up!

:o

Learning Superior Drummer-3 and readjusting all pad sensitivities in my spare time, actually . . .

;)

Jamming is the best.

• No no no man! Don't stop the rock! I've read great things about that program setup. I haven't ever liked the feel of edrums, but being able to get the sounds choices they offer, at the push of a button, makes me envious everytime I'm tweaking the tuning nuance and mic placement, and dreaming of a pro built room. I'm pretty much a virgin with a freshly popped cherry at the mixing game. I really need to get a good daw setup, and then figure out the program usage. I've been a caveman luddite for too long, as far as knowledge of programs and computers. I've learned quickly that there is so much more than just hit it with a stick. Post up what you have as you're working with it. I'd love to hear more of your recording. Glenn.

Steve_Lee
  • Pics of the Vortexes, or they don't exist.😛

kenrhodesSteve_Lee
  • ...and yeah, I'm trying to get grandpa going with Cakewalk. Just need to get him to letgo of the knobs and use keyboard buttons and mouse! 😆

Drummerjr@macSteve_Lee
  • Look, mister...I may have gray hair on my sac, but they don't hang all the way down......yet!

jr@macSteve_Lee6thplanet
  • Someone asked a male redhead at work "if the curtains match the drapes?" He replied with "nope hardwood floors". That had me dying.

jr@macPWRRYDSteve_Lee6thplanetjhollander
  • I had a crazy redhead girlfriend once, and she stayed red upside down! That woman had great taste in music, and was a great time, except when she drank, which became an unfortunate everyday occurrence. Meddle was her all time favorite album. Makes me remember naked Sundays listening to music half the day in bed with her. Glenn.

6thplanet
  • You don't have to get THAT personal.

Drummer6thplanet
  • I spent last night remixing to get everything sitting better in the mix, and worked a lot on individual track eq and level. I think that the bass and kick are working together so much better, and the snare has more meat, and guitars sit better. Most of the eq work was subtractive on the 80hz swe
    ep, with a bit of mid boost on the snare, and a bit of 10k boost on the overheads. I also mixed one of my girlfriends songs. She layed bass, and guitar rhythm bed, and Lee is left channel gtr, Wade right channel gtr. Ang is the lead vocals, and as usual I get to shred the high harmonies. Hope that you enjoy. I'm open to feedback and critiques, as I know most of you are critical listeners. Enjoy. Glenn.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/13Jy-OK1x7B5WjCIu9UTTc9tr4-Q7YuaF/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13AxZypgPbiBXMcY3HkvD9f8OhO-WSsNw/view?usp=drivesdk

• Great to hear y'all making music🤘🏼

Drummer
  • I can't wait until you can do it with us again! Smacka DABASS!!!!!!!

6thplanet
  • Glenn on my system, I would bring the vocal up just a bit, but other than that I think it boils down to personal preference.

Steve_Lee
  • I agree after listening back more. It doesn't get lost, but I think being a bit more forward that it will pop better with the energy of the track. I'm learning how to mix as I go, and suffer greatly from analysis paralysis, too. Thanks for the input! Glenn.

• No problem, thanks for sharing the tunes.

Ed_Perkins
  • https://drive.google.com/file/d/13Tv4hAvk6JqwO0dj0a8J9TKYKrNmru94/view?usp=drivesdk
    Here's a complete remix of the tracks, and a mix of a jam that we improvised. Wade was playing the melodic riff that you hear in the right channel, while we were all gabbing on about what we felt like grooving on, and it caught my ear, so we decided on what the chord changes would be, hit record and took off. This is my favorite mix that I've gotten on the Tascam, to this point.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/13KrGdQsN8W1NvrEdy4EO7A-s-cbkNLtp/view?usp=drivesdk

• edited July 2023

Really nice live recording sound, Glen. Clean as can be - this is good.

The 1st track sounds good but on the 2nd track I wonder if you have some sort of effect/compression/gates on the ride cymbal?

(I get a strange pulsing effect here when you strike the cymbal, the mix spl drops and rises to my ears in time with the hits).

Anyone else notice this?

Edited to add --> @ 6 sec there is a change in the sound of the recording and a button got pushed or something - I can hear it happen.
    It isn't as pronounced on my shop speakers (large room w/ commercial speakers) as it was in my office (shitty listening room as its quite reflective).

Your drums sound great (to me). Definitely the best instrument in the mix . . .

Drummer
  • Glen - stick with what you are doing - it sounds great on my better audio equipment and your drumming skills shine because you don't spend all your time in the digital realm but rather stay in touch with your instrument and have regular jam sessions with real people.

(I miss those days).

Drummer
  • Thanks, Steve. I used the one knob compression on the individual channels, and added some reverb to the drums. I'm learning as I go, and flying by the seat of my pants. I think that the click you heard may have been Lee's cable jack, but I could have bumped a button. I'm so green at recording and mixing, and using only the Tascam limits me to the channel strip eq, compression, and fx level. I'll try another mix and pull back the reverb on the overheads. I've been reading about subtractive eq and boost points for individual instruments to give them space in the mix, and that has helped immensely from where I started. Could the overhead placement be part of the ride issue? I have the mics in Recorderman position, equidistant from snare, but it puts the rear mic further from the ride than the over the snare mic. There's no way on my board to check mic phase. Glenn.

• OK, I think the reverb in your mix is the issue in my office speaker set-up.

Make the mix just a little more dry but not too much.
    The room size (delay) is not translating in my (reflective) office but suits my 24' x 36' shop perfectly.

I'll check the headphone mix in my drum room next . . .

• @Steve_Lee said:
    Glen - stick with what you are doing - it sounds great on my better audio equipment and your drumming skills shine because you don't spend all your time in the digital realm but rather stay in touch with your instrument and have regular jam sessions with real people.

(I miss those days).

I will! Thanks a bunch, Steve! If you're ever going to be in the Indy area, let me know and I can round up some players to have a jam/ hang/ tomfoolery session. You can play one of my kits, and I'll play with the twisty knobs! Glenn.

Steve_Lee
  • The dedicated room that I mixed it in has a good amount of absorption, some bass traps, and some diffusion. It sounds much better in that room than my long, all wood floor room. I have the 590s set up in the reflective room with heavy toe in, crossed a couple of feet in front of my LP. The mix sounds pretty crappy on my gear van tape converter to headphone jack, but that old thing is crappy to begin with.

• @Steve_Lee said:
    OK, I think the reverb in your mix is the issue in my office speaker set-up.

Make the mix just a little more dry but not too much.
    The room size (delay) is not translating in my (reflective) office but suits my 24' x 36' shop perfectly.

I'll check the headphone mix in my drum room next . . .

Would you lessen the reverb on all drum channels, or just the overhead condensers?

• Overheads, for sure - then give it test listen in different rooms/systems . . .

• edited July 2023

Headphone (Sony MDR-7506) mix sounds great - Like Arc Angels stuff.
    DSP controlled Monitors (Eminence CX10's w Selenium D202Ti's crossed to a sealed sub) sound right on the money!

The problem is my office room, not your mix.

LEAVE it ALONE.

(Hope I can get my EDrums sounding like this soon . . .)

Drummer
  • Awesome! Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and critique them! I just got this setup this February, and I'm waaaaay beyond where it started. Just being a drummer and singing is easy for me, but figuring the recording/mixing stuff out has been a ton of hours of reading, watching videos, talking to friends that actually know what they're doing, and trying to record everyone, and everything that I can. I'm glad that it came off like the ArcAngels...that is the vibe that I was trying to achieve. I really need to get a daw/ laptop and learn how it works. Glenn

Steve_Lee
  • Your cymbals sound fantastic and you use them exquisitely.

OK, so I finally have my edrums up and running again after replacing two cymbal pads and installing new software so a friend in New Hampshire sent me an idea he had and in no time we came up with this snippet that will hopefully culminate in a real tune at some point - bass player friend in Tennessee is just now getting this so he will chime-in later and the band grows out of thin air . . . =)

[https://dropbox.com/s/qtg38fptdl5mtqo/Dan Russel 4-16-2023 Song - SJL Drums-2023 Song - SJL Drums-SD-.flac?raw=1")

kenrhodesDrummer
  • I like where that's heading👍🏼

kenrhodesSteve_LeeDrummer
  • Thanks, Steve! I like it too. and could see that going in a Queensryche direction. Soaring vocals with layered harmonies. When you lay edrum tracks, are you using a stereo out mix into 2 channels on your recording machine, or 1 channel for every individual sound? Ie. Kick, snare, toms, cymbals. If individuals, do you still eq, compress, etc. each channel when you're mixing, or do you have that already taken care of out of your edrum brain? I would think that you still have to treat each channel as you would acoustic drum tracks, based on frequency shaping needs, for sitting where they need to. One great thing about edrum sound source is that you take the room out of the equation, and zero mic bleed to deal with. What is your recording setup? Are you going through an interface into a daw? Glenn.