Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Up next: higher end 6.5" standmount

Comments

• edited September 2023

"Always take pride in your work....in the end you it will be proud." I'm no woodworking expert and each build I seem to mess up something that I learn from so I don't on the next build. The problem is the things to mess up seem to be infinite. Driver rebates are a crap shoot.

Steve_Leejr@macjholtz
  • this is where some felt on the baffle around the tw comes in handy - added sonic benefit as well

• Old photo of how I've re-routed driver holes, pretty self-explanatory I think.

tajanesSteve_Leerjj45
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Ya'll assume better woodworking skills than I possess. I'll stick to not fucking up crossovers, and do bodywork to cover my poor woodworking skills.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.

• On the other hand, probably best symmetry I've accomplished on facets to date.

ugly_wooferkenrhodesSteve_LeeDrummerSilver1omotajaneshifisiderjj45S7910Nicholas_23
    I have a signature.
  • edited September 2023

I think they look pretty damn good for raw pb cabs! I wouldn't even attempt to do those on my own. I'd be calling a friend asking for help to hand walk me through it, so that I wouldn't booger up material, or poke out my eye. 🤪Glenn

jr@macSteve_Lee
  • @jr@mac said:
    To be honest, I'll probably leave it proud.

Get a big hammer. ;-)

Steve_Lee
  • @dcibel said:
    Old photo of how I've re-routed driver holes, pretty self-explanatory I think.

All except for how they are attached to the inside of the baffle.
    Care to explain or is the back removable, dcibel?

• edited September 2023

Screw them in from behind, stubby robbie screwdriver. I don't recall on this speaker exactly, the top may have been open still at this point. Holes are pre-drilled from the front, two on the tweeter need some fill. This cabinet was finished with Tolex which is fairly forgiving for small surface bumps if there are any.

tajanesSteve_Leerjj45
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I don’t have the guts to rout for the drivers after I’ve built the box. That being said, I’ve gotten pretty good with double sided tape and screwing the previous discarded circles to a board along with the baffle to re-rout. Works similar to dcibel’s approach.

Steve_Lee
  • I think it looks good that way, I assumed it was intentional...

• @Billet said:
    I think it looks good that way, I assumed it was intentional...

It's how its going to be at this point. No idea how it happened - I followed my normal routine, only thing I can think of is I didn't check to be sure I was fully plunged on my router.

Anyways, I will build up the woofer rebate with extra seal to make it stand a little proud of the baffle as well. Not ideal, but will still yield very good results.

I have a signature.

• Since these have no chance of being ready by Iowa, thought I would start process of getting them paint ready.

a4eaudiougly_woofer6thplanetSteve_LeekenrhodessquamishdrocNicholas_23rjj45
    I have a signature.
  • Boo! I had hoped you'd bring them in raw PB.

Steve_Lee
  • Forget how much work it is to make cabinets ready for paint, man I've gotten lazy. I used to routinely do piano finishes. Not sure I will take it that far - probably just do Duratex or possibly interior latex on these. I like a muted look these days, anyways.

I have a signature.
  • @PWRRYD said:
    Boo! I had hoped you'd bring them in raw PB.

The two pair I'm bringing are in bare PB, so have no fear.

hifiside
    I have a signature.
  • hifisideNicholas_23Steve_LeeSilver1omo
    I have a signature.

• Working first coat. Exohyde is no Duratex, but should get the job done.

kenrhodesS7910Steve_Leerjj45
    I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:

Working first coat. Exohyde is no Duratex, but should get the job done.

What do you see as the difference? (I use Duratex - works well and water based)

• Stickier is the best way I can describe it.

I have a signature.
  • I just bought a can of Duratex the last time I needed to add something to get free shipping at PE. I read the reviews for both and the Duratex seemed to get slightly better reviews.

Steve_Lee
  • I saw some posts that sometimes Duratex would still be a bit sticky after months of drying, but Exohide was supposed to dry hard.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!

• As far as I'm taking it. I reiterate - no Duratex but if it dries hard I'll take it.

tajanesSteve_LeeNicholas_23silverDugly_woofer6thplanetS7910rjj45
    I have a signature.
  • Could go with a nice solid wood top and base, with a finish of that walnut stain that’s getting great reviews here…

• So wife is insisting we finish bar remodel before I go any further with these lol. I don't blame her, the basement is a mess so measuring is out of the question anyways.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • @tajanes said:
    Could go with a nice solid wood top and base, with a finish of that walnut stain that’s getting great reviews here…

My woodworking skills preclude that type of construction. I really wish I had the talent some of you guys possess for casework.

I have a signature.

• Sure looks fancy.

tajanesNicholas_23silverDhifisideS7910Steve_Leeugly_wooferjhollanderrjj456thplanetand 2 others.
    I have a signature.
  • We made some progress on our bar. The ceiling is painted eggshell black now. The walls will be painted green, one entire wall I will cover with faux brick panels. The rest will get some wainscot. Once the panels are laid up, I can move the bar and liquor shelves back in. Then, and only then, will the wife allow me to resume this project. That is my motivation. So sometime after Iowa I will be doing this project and hopefully another high-end project or two before thanksgiving.

hifisideSteve_LeeScottS
    I have a signature.
  • Ready for measurements. Sometime after Iowa.

Steve_LeekenrhodestajaneshifisideS7910e6zion6thplanet
    I have a signature.
  • So I grabbed measurements last night and worked up a starting point XO:

I'll get to twisting leads some time this week.

6thplanetugly_wooferhifisidekenrhodesS7910
    I have a signature.