Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

GRS 8SW-4HE Little Beasts!

2»

Comments

• Could just be the photo but that slot port looks tiny! More like an air leak than a port lol.

• edited August 2023

Yep only 3/4" tall. I agree it looks so slim kinda makes you think "that can't realy work can it?" lol we'll see

• edited August 2023

So, I'm being wishy washy about the grill. Have a different grill coming in probably Monday. The driver itself is either used or was stored out of the box and has some scuffs and a visible ring where I'm assuming liquid/water gathered and dried. The cone seems totally fine, but it is stuff that just won't clean off. Hence wanting a grill to make it less noticeable.

So I decided to do a full recess on the driver that can work with various grill options. Screws demand more meat!

One thing I noticed that makes me wonder about it's longevity is the leads. They are rather short and are dang close to taut around xmax on outward cone movement. Limiting it to a 100watt amp might be reasonable anyway to keep it from and early death.

Steve_Lee
  • edited August 2023

It seems to be a requirement for me to make at least one dumb mistake per project. I drilled driver screw holes and flipped it over to do the amp screw holes... Only to find the opening was too long for the amp. Somehow I added an extra inch to the measurement for the cutout. Fortunately I found a piece of pine in the scrap pile that was exactly 1" wide. I'd rather this than having to make a bunch more sawdust for a whole spacer plate to glue over the existing hole.

6thplanet
  • just tell folks its expected to reduce resonance

a4eaudioSteve_Lee4thtry
  • Artistic touch

• The 15" has stitched tinsel leads and machined top and bottom plates.

kenrhodesDrewsBrews
    I have a signature.
  • Double spider, too. I get why there is such a price jump from 12" to 15". This thing is a tank and an absolute steal at the $70 I paid for it.

a4eaudioSteve_Lee6thplanetDrewsBrews
    I have a signature.
  • edited August 2023

I hosed the inside down with spray adhesive and stuck some chunks of acoustic foam in and got it all together.

IDK, it's a sub... sub goes wub wub. I didn't try to "knock the house down" with it yet since I think someone was home in the neighbor's place 6ft away from our living room. So it didn't have much of a chance to "wow" me. Found my Denon dra-800h has a nice adjustable lowpass out for sub, but doesn't seem to have a "small speaker" (high passed) option for L/R. boo

tajanesSteve_Lee6thplanet4thtry