Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

PWR RYD's InDIYana 2024 theme project thread

Comments

• Baffles flush trimmed and rounded over. Ready to wire and mount drivers for testing:

ugly_wooferjohnny5jzDrummerSilver1omo6thplanettajanesjr@macRon_ESteve_LeeWolfand 1 other.
  • edited September 2023

Well they have 3 impedance peaks and look pretty close to each other...

• edited September 2023

Oh crap! One of my RS28A-4 has an issue :'(
    It shows almost no impedance peak and is noticably quieter during the sweep.

Steve_Lee
  • My rebate cuts for the RS28A's are the perfect depth for the Peerless DA25's, but a smidge too large in diameter. Maybe .5 mm too large. Gonna go with them.

• I have used o-rings to fill gaps before. Looks almost intentional.

• @PWRRYD said:
    Oh crap! One of my RS28A-4 has an issue :'(
    It shows almost no impedance peak and is noticably quieter during the sweep.

Take it apart and reassemble it , they have a tendency to get off center.

Steve_Lee
  • @ugly_woofer said:

Take it apart and reassemble it , they have a tendency to get off center.

Roger that. I'll give it a try. Not that I don't like the Peerless DA25's. I've used them twice before and thought they sounded very good. I think Ben used them too in his first version of his Zingers. Very capable tweeter but the RS28's just fit so nice lol

Steve_Lee
  • @Nicholas_23 said:
    32ish hz?

F3? Yes models very close to that.

• edited September 2023

I woudn't be too concerned about a 0.5mm gap, especially not enough to change my driver decisions. Paint the inside of the hole black and the gap will disappear, you won't notice from the couch :)

Steve_Lee
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Nice , yeah like Db said , you make that baffle black , no one will be the wiser

• edited September 2023

So I want to give a big shout out to my speaker brother Nick (Ugly Woofer)! I shouldn't have given up so easily on my pair of RS28A's tweeters. Shame on me :/

I took both tweeters apart and wiggled around and centered the voice coils as best I could and retightened the assembly. A quick DATs measurement was very promising. Both tweeters now had a distinct Fs impedance peak but they still didn't look identical. Just for S&G's I decided to switch voice coil/dome A and B with the other motor. Wow! They were a much better match, not perfect, but really close. For another S&G I decided to hook each one up to my amp and run OmniMic track 3 (fast sine sweep) at a pretty punishing loud dB level for 5 minutes.
    I let them cool off for 30 minutes and then remeasured them with DATs. They now measure almost identically. Tweeter A has a Fs of 502 Hz, tweeter B is 537 Hz. Their peak impedance is almost the same. More importantly their impedance curve above 1k is exactly the same.

BillettajanessilverDSteve_LeeColonel76thplanet
  • edited September 2023

I'm glad it fixed them, they're great tweeters.

• Thanks again Nick. Yeah, I have always liked how they sound in a competent project. I bought this pair as soon as it was apparent they were going to be NLA and PE had them on sale for $30!

• edited September 2023

Here are the woofer and tweeter measurements from 1 meter on listening axis:

hifisidetajanes
  • That looks great Craig.

I have a signature.
  • Craig , will you be able to near field port measurements for the top and bottom rear ports ? More curious than anything.

• Yes I can.

• My wife and kids will be at youth group tonight so I should be able to take NF port measurements and post them.

Nicholas_23
  • Maybe tomorrow.

• No worries Craig , I get it .

• edited September 2023

All NF port(s) and driver measurements taken. Much easier for me to post them tomorrow morning from a different computer.

• Well the near field for the woofer looks really good. And the lower port looks so-so, but I don't know what to make of the upper port. That's some serious port resonance!

• So here are the three combined (measured at 1 Meter).

• edited September 2023

Yeah both of them have the 600Hz ugly. You'd think it should be octaves of 30, maybe the internal port has something to do with it?

That upper port could definitely use a resonance trap to it's benefit.