Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

My ugly InDIYana 2024 theme project

Comments

• The top gets 1/2" felt, which also adds the roundovers. It will be covered with grill cloth eventually,, but for now it's naked. I added a cut out in the rear felt in order to allow fine tuning of the amount of reflection, by replacing it with a wood block or some combination of materials depending on the room or mood.

jr@mactajanes6thplanet4thtry
  • Tight, and dead-on fit up to the veneer front.

• Metal turning lathe? Nice job.

• Yep, metal lathe. Thanks

• I think the top bolts should be spikes.... course that's just me😬

ugly_wooferSteve_Lee
  • edited March 18

I don't think Nick needs help sustaining injuries or impaling himself, though that is part of the reason for his moniker.

• Does the steel rods change any of the TS parms?

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited March 18

No, the ends are just hollow plastic.

jhollander
  • I am curious to see your AMT measurements as they can be mighty wonky. If you need a set of measurements to compare them to I have a measurement set of the Large version to share.

I have the mid-sized version that will be part of my Iowa build/trip this year - and seven weeks to complete them.

• I don't think that transporting these with a >10 lb tweeter hanging off of the top is a good idea. If I had thought ahead I could have glued a piece of 1/4" steel to the inside top and threaded the bolts into that, but since I only have tee nuts in mdf, I just don't trust it to make the journey. This means the tweeter has to be removable, which is a huge pain in the ass, but this is my solution, for better or worse.

Steve_LeeSilver1omo4thtry
  • I wasn't thrilled how the felt looked when I covered it with grill cloth, so this is take two. These will get the same felt and grill cloth, but the outer edges should look much better.

Nicholas_23jr@mactajaneskenrhodeshifisideSteve_Lee6thplanet
  • I’m sorry I won’t be able to hear these.
    +++ Xover below / outside the critical hearing range, and a very interesting bass extension design, in a two-way.

ugly_woofer
  • I'll most likely have these in Iowa too.

• Fitting the felt around the tweeter.

• The felt is removable for terminal access, but also to facilitate experimenting with different shaped combinations of felt and mdf.

Nicholas_23hifisidetajanesPWRRYD6thplanet4thtryRon_E
  • I really need to postpone looking at this thread, until I have at least finished my current build…

I really like how you are integrating the ESS into (onto) this build. I’m fighting the urge to order a pair of these drivers.

Steve_Leeugly_woofer
  • They're on sale for $250 a pair right now. =)

• . . . And they come with the mounting kit too . . .

• Looking good, bro!

ugly_woofer
  • @ugly_woofer said:
    They're on sale for $250 a pair right now. =)

I saw your earlier comments re sound quality. +++ Being an old maggie fan, the dipole presentation would be familiar. Can you comment on sound level potential, maybe in comparison to your mini tower you had at Iowa? I’m not looking for head banging blasting - but thinking is there a bit of room left in these when playing at a solid listening level (ie event level)?

Thx

• edited April 7

The large AMTs sound fantastic. Like most AMTs, the measurements don't do them justice.
    Adam added the foam pieces to his to help control the vertical radiation.

For the price, if you can physically fit them, they're really nice tweeters.

Nicholas_23WolfPWRRYDugly_woofer
  • Adam really made something special with those. Handcut dovetails, virtually unlimited dynamic range with the quad of 12" Infinity woofers pumping IB. Just stellar performance and exquisite execution.

PWRRYD6thplanetstephenk9
  • @tajanes said:

I saw your earlier comments re sound quality. +++ Being an old maggie fan, the dipole presentation would be familiar. Can you comment on sound level potential, maybe in comparison to your mini tower you had at Iowa? I’m not looking for head banging blasting - but thinking is there a bit of room left in these when playing at a solid listening level (ie event level)?

Thx

I believe they should have good output capability. I pushed them pretty hard when I did my initial mockup, but I will report back after I reassemble them in a couple of weeks. My main listening area isn't huge, 13.5' x 25' with a roughly 10' opening on one of the long walls toward the back of the room. I can tell that they play louder than I would ever need. With the dual chamber woofer loading there are two frequencies of minimum cone movement, but I can't tell you how much this will contribute as the woofer will still unload below tuning.

• @Wolf said:
    Adam really made something special with those. Handcut dovetails, virtually unlimited dynamic range with the quad of 12" Infinity woofers pumping IB. Just stellar performance and exquisite execution.

10" woofers, ripole enclosure.
    They are top notch, especially with the McIntosh/Carver amplifiers.

• edited April 24

This is where they are for Indy. I should mention that the vertical is 3db/div.

6thplanet

• It's a pretty tough tweeter!

Steve_Leetajanesjr@mac6thplanet
  • Hot damn ! Sub 1k xover on that sucker B)

• Impressive Xover frequency, and as an old guy, really impressive to see the slight rise going into 20Khz