Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

New project - The Chiquitos

124»

Comments

• Not positive but I think PE lowered the price on the ND28F-6 to $19.98. So the cost for all 4 drivers used in this project is $80. I also increased the tweeter padding resistor from 6 ohms to 6.5 ohms.

Wolfjr@mac
  • I agree on the midrange quality of the MAC-04. I've used it in two projects as a dedicated mid and early on in the process of importing them I did a small 2-way but the chosen tweeter wasn't worth dicking with so I never released that design.

I have a signature.
  • Just bought a quad of MAC-06 woofers for a tower project redue (my Tre Stems project) . More to follow.

hifisidea4eaudiojhollanderani_101
  • edited January 4

Most of you know me. I'm not the guy to say somebody else "should" build one of my projects. This one is a bit different. If I knew someone who was unhappy with the thin and crappy sound coming from their new large flat screen TV and they weren't looking for a full fledged 102+ dB home theater system I would highly suggest these. Add an afordable 50Wx2 Fosi desktop amp and now you have very good sound for your sports, local news, game shows, NCIS, AGT, etc.

• Funny/weird that I posted that post 2 days ago. My Sony 50wpc HTR that I've been using for 25+ years died last night :(

I replaced the Sony today with a Fosi 50wpc mini amp I got from Charlie. No BS it sounds so much cleaner and has more headroom! Only downsides are no remote for volume control and no source selection.

• Need to adapt Toms motorized volume control to it from his tube pre build.

• edited January 7

I'm using a Denon DRA-800h. 100+watts, 4ohm stable. The hdmi sq beats the pants off the Pioneer one I bought 10+years ago.

• @6thplanet said:
    Need to adapt Toms motorized volume control to it from his tube pre build.

Excellent idea!

• Some of those little Class D amps are very solid. I had a SMSL for several years that was completely bad ass - then it died on me. Now I rotate between a FX-Audio and a Dayton audio for my desktop system. Both have similar SQ but the FX Audio gets the edge in output but the Dayton can switch between line-in and bluetooth, so wins based on features. It also has a built in power supply so no bigass brick sitting on the floor.

Anyways, great project and I'm sorry about the demise of your Sony.

I have a signature.
  • We use an Amazon Fire stick for our TV streaming. The list of the brands of soundbars that it can control includes SMSL. We have an SMSL Q5 Pro hooked up to a pair of speakers that we control with our Fire stick remote just like any soundbar. It works great and might be worth exploring to see if your setup can control an SMSL amp.

kenrhodes
  • @PWRRYD said:

@6thplanet said:
    Need to adapt Toms motorized volume control to it from his tube pre build.

Excellent idea!

If you are serious, that kit from PE is probably easier to implement. But if your old Sony has a motorized pot, you can pull that and build one for about $15. Arduinos are really easy to work with. I can attest to that - I'm still in kindergarten when it comes to coding. I can send you my code and show you what to change for your remote.

• I'll have to rescue it from the curb before I go to work tomorrow morning.

6thplanet
  • Grab the remote too. I'm using one from my cheap Sony Blu-ray player.

6thplanet
  • Scrapper grabbed it over night :(

• @PWRRYD said:
    Not positive but I think PE lowered the price on the ND28F-6 to $19.98. So the cost for all 4 drivers used in this project is $80. I also increased the tweeter padding resistor from 6 ohms to 6.5 ohms.

And now the tweeter is down to $13 as of today.

• Wow! That's really cheap.

• Not to throw in social comment, but have noticed shipping prices coming down a smidge too, or at least the alternative slow as can go shipping services drop quite low, and other minor price drops (not fast food heh). Should ask Mr Economist as to what going on heh... Casually observed that people over last 12 months, self included, just tired of spending awaiting pull back ---- feel free to delete this post if broaching on taboo

Analogkid455