Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Mid to go with SB29NRX75-8 10" Woofer

I ended up buying a pair of the SB29NRX75-8 10" Woofer from Mad's black friday sale and now I need to find a mid to go with them.

I have a pair of the Morel Cam 558 dome mids on the shelf that I could use. I think these woofers might play high enough to match up with those.

I could buy a pair of the 4 or 5" SBNRX's and be all matchy matchy...

What about the Scan Discovery 4-5" drivers? Anybody have experience with those?

Would like to keep it under $200 for the pair, preferably well under.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• I appreciate matchy-matchy, but IMO, the 4-5" SBs are too... "wooferish". The SB29 will totally make it up high enough for the Morel. It'd be my choice.

• edited November 2023

A lot of people favor the MDM55 from 900+, or even 1k+. I'm not sure it will do that high very well.
    I do know Chuck used it to the 5" SS Disco in his Victors build, so it is indeed capable.
    I think the 4" CAC would be another valid choice if you keep it in the family.
    If you are okay with diversification of brand, I'd look for a higher sensitivity 4" like the PRV 4MR60-4 or the Dayton PC105-4.
    What tweeter you using?

• @Dirk said:
    I appreciate matchy-matchy, but IMO, the 4-5" SBs are too... "wooferish". The SB29 will totally make it up high enough for the Morel. It'd be my choice.

Definitely considering the Morels, especially since I already have them, as long as the woofer is comfortable playing that high.

• @Wolf said:
    A lot of people favor the MDM55 from 900+, or even 1k+. I'm not sure it will do that high very well.
    I do know Chuck used it to the 5" SS Disco in his Victors build, so it is indeed capable.
    I think the 4" CAC would be another valid choice if you keep it in the family.
    If you are okay with diversification of brand, I'd look for a higher sensitivity 4" like the PRV 4MR60-4 or the Dayton PC105-4.
    What tweeter you using?

Not very concerned about matching.

Not decided on tweeter, I have a pair of SB21SDC and Fountek NeoCD 1.0 on the shelf.

• Fountek NeoCD 1.0
    MDM55
    SB29NRX75-8

Get to work.

rjj45Dirk6thplanetWolf
  • How about some Vifa PL11WG09? I know a guy

Gowae6zion
  • @Jakes_dad said:

@Dirk said:
    I appreciate matchy-matchy, but IMO, the 4-5" SBs are too... "wooferish". The SB29 will totally make it up high enough for the Morel. It'd be my choice.

Definitely considering the Morels, especially since I already have them, as long as the woofer is comfortable playing that high.

I built a 3 way with an RS270 woofer, MDM55 dome mid and an Airborne 5002 amt tweeter.
    Crossover measurements show about 900Hz for the Morel, so if a lowly RS270 can play that high, the SB should be good.
    FWIW, one of the best designs I have done.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • @Turn2 said:
    Fountek NeoCD 1.0
    MDM55
    SB29NRX75-8

Get to work.

Strongly agree!

Wolfe6zionTurn2
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • You probably saw it when shopping for the woofers, but the SB12CAC-4 are on sale for $45 each at Madisound.

• I agree with the CAM-558 and NeoCD 1.0. My Indium 7's were the budget version of that concept. Beston RT-003C tweeter, HiVi DMN-A 2" dome mid, and Dayton SD270A-88 10" woofer. Crossover points for the Indium 7 were around 700 Hz between woofer and mid - and around 5 kHz between mid and tweeter. Something similar should work here.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • edited November 2023

Scanspeak Discovery 10F/8424G 4" Midrange 8 ohm
    https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-4-midrange/scanspeak-discovery-10f/8424g-4-midrange-8-ohm/
    I also agree with the MDM55 above 800.

• The CAM-558 on a baffle wide enough to support the SB29 woofer will absolutely work great. Like already said, 900 Hz or so crossover point is a good choice for that dome mid. It can also cross pretty high so your choice of tweeters is really wide. I used that mid dome with the HiVi RT1C-A planars in my Agendas project and the NeoCD1.0 ribbons in my Gormachos.

• Paul/Rick's Cantilenas used the MDM55/NeoCD1.0 combo with a 9" SS Rev, 22W/8857T. Xovers were 900 and 5k. I agree that the concept is valid, as long as the SB29 woofer reaches there. 8" woofer, 2" dome, and ribbon or planar works very well.

Turn2
  • @Gowa said:
    Scanspeak Discovery 10F/8424G 4" Midrange 8 ohm
    https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-4-midrange/scanspeak-discovery-10f/8424g-4-midrange-8-ohm/
    I also agree with the MDM55 above 800.

I completely agree with this. Some of my favorite speakers have been 3 ways of this mix.

• edited November 2023

From a directivity and distortion point of view, that woofer is good to about 700Hz.

Things get funky at 800Hz:

Reference:
    https://sbacoustics.com/product/10-sb29nrx75-8-norex/

• In that graph, I would think to 800 will be fine with average rolloffs. However, being that is an IB or IEC measurement, I would wager the baffle peak may fill that dip in...

Steve_Lee
  • edited November 2023

Yes a typical 12” baffle will fill result in a peak in the on axis around 800-1KHz.

But won’t change the distortion; the impedance blip is the tell tale sign and the rising impedance to the right of the graph is also signal that it’s not a low inductance design.

I’d measure that driver before making decisions about midranges.

YMMV.

Steve_Lee
  • And thusly why I am still skeptical. An good 8" typically will be fine that high, but a 10?

• The measurements I took of my RS270P-4 bass bins showed they could easily and cleanly play to 1100-1200 Hz. Directivity is more of a concern than FR or distortion. I know I know.... two different drivers but my experience with SB drivers has been so positive I would be surprised if they didn't perform as well as a Dayton driver. JMHO of course.

Nicholas_23rjj456thplanet
  • Mitchell above offered up the ZA14, which is a pretty damn impressive midrange that can go lower than most domes. I might be biased though, given I have four sitting here awaiting use in a future project. On the downside, it does have a pretty steep: don't use this above 3k kind of thing going on.

Nicholas_23Steve_Lee
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Thanks for the responses everyone.

It looks like the dome mid is a definite maybe. I will measure the woofers when I get them and go from there. My original plan for these woofers was to pair them with a 4-5" cone mid, but I thought that this might be a possibility. If I can make this work, I will likely go this route.

For possible use with this project, or any future projects, I would like to continue exploring other options.

Recommendations so far:

SB12CAC-4 on sale for $44, considering these at that price, as I may want them for another project.

Scanspeak Discovery 10F/8424G these are a bit above my budget at $122 ea.

Apparantly Nick has a couple Vifa PL11WG09s he would like to part with. I found a data sheet for these, but don't know much else about them.

ZA14 - Couple of people recommended this one $60 ea.

PRV 4MR60-4 or the Dayton PC105-4 - for this project anyway, I would rather stay away from pincushion frames. I could rear mount them, so I guess they are still an option.

What about these?

SEAS Prestige MCA12RC, a little spendy at $92
    madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-4-midrange/seas-prestige-mca12rc-h1304-4.5-coated-paper-midrange/

SB Acoustics SB12MNRX2-25-04, midrange version of the SB12NRX for $60
    madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-4-midrange/sb-acoustics-sb12mnrx2-25-04-4-midrange.-4-ohm-new-version/

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

• I have a pair of those SB12MNRX2-25-04 midranges. Build quality is superb. They will be the tenor of my next up 3 way project.

• edited November 2023

The sensitivity of the SB12MNRX2-25-04 beats the MCA12RC as well and very flat in FR from 200 ~ 3Khz XO points for less money . . . and a much nicer visual match to the chosen SB29NRX75-8 woofer

• The 4" CAC hit down to 40-45 Hz F3 and are genuine woofers in their own right... can make fantastic 2 way TM or as in my case MTM (8 ohm) with pretty good bass response.

• @tktran said:
    From a directivity and distortion point of view, that woofer is good to about 700Hz.

Things get funky at 800Hz:

Reference:
    https://sbacoustics.com/product/10-sb29nrx75-8-norex/

Interesting to note that almost all of the SB and Scanspeak paper cone 8-10" woofers (at least the ones on Mad's website) exhibit that same "funkiness" in the 700-1000 range

• ^^^
    Agreed.

• Surround related.

rjj45
    I have a signature.
  • Most likely. The RS270P-4A has the same anomaly in its FR and impedance.

• You see it higher in frequency on a lot of 6-7" woofers as well.

I have a signature.