Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Next project?

Maybe this?

I have a signature.

Comments

• I used that tweeter and guide combo before, and was able to get by with a single cap and resistor. I bet I can do it again.

Little nervous about the woofer since Ben implied they did not measure as advertised but maybe he got some outliers so a glimmer of hope. Given Daytons ability to maintain unit to unit consistency regardless of advertised, though...

If they do measure as advertised, or reasonably close, I will be going with this model:

If not, I will cross that bridge when I get to it. Probably not a bass monster in any event, but should be adequate for intended application. I have a request to build a monitor for a local musicians home studio, so this is being built on spec.

I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    I used that tweeter and guide combo before, and was able to get by with a single cap and resistor. I bet I can do it again.

Do you have the component values (cap and R), frequency you targeted and/or frequency graph ?

• I do not have a FR graph for just the tweeter, but IIRC I ended up using a 2.7uF capacitor. These are long gone in another small studio. Here is a chart overlaying left and right, though, so you can see how the treble is flat enough:

silverD4thtry
    I have a signature.
  • And a reverse null showing the relatively low XO point I was able to get with a two-component crossover.

tajanes4thtry
    I have a signature.
  • And horizontals:

Listening window:

Distortion showing the tweeter is not at all stressed out in its operating range. Woofer was the Dynavox 6.5" poly;

Not my most accurate build, but more than good enough for small studio work in this case the guy who bought them does a lot of production of local advertising - recording jingles and whatnot.

I have a signature.
  • I've decided against that particular combo, I think I will use it in a small 3-way instead, using the 2" neo HiVi dome and some kind of tweeter.

The 5" seems a better choice for a small monitor.

I have a signature.
  • It's going to be the 5" and the knock off of the Fountek Neo3.0 or whatever the hell the model number was.

I have a signature.