Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Christmas break speaker project

2»

Comments

• Horizontal flats for the win!

tajanesSteve_Lee
  • edited December 2023

@a4eaudio said:

@Nicholas_23 said:
    Member , some people listen with their eyes

Does anyone look with their ears?

While I don't 'listen with my eyes', I am intrigued with speaker dimensions / aesthetics. (Yea I know, there is a term for that state of mind...). But, my strong preference (non-floor standers) for a 2-way (or 3-way w coax) is to target 1:1.6 (WxHt) , and for a 3-way to keep it at, or preferably under, 2x (Ht to W). B) ...of course, not always doable

Steve_Lee
  • I was waiting for Ben to mention something about the cardinal position. I had to google it the first time he used that term. And no, it's not an exalted version of the missionary position. :)

Steve_Leejr@macPWRRYDugly_wooferScottSTurn2Nicholas_23
  • Whatever we want to call the mounting... they are put together with the flats horizontal. My complete on and off axis battery of measurements are now done. On to my favorite process, the xo design!

tajanesa4eaudiougly_wooferhifisideSteve_Lee
  • @PWRRYD said:
    Whatever we want to call the mounting... they are put together with the flats horizontal. My complete on and off axis battery of measurements are now done. On to my favorite process, the xo design!

I love playing with the Squiggly Lines!

• It's really cool when a project crossover design just falls into place. I believe I have all of the components needed on hand (have to unwind a couple of inductors) so I might just be voicing these after Christmas. Measured driver distortions at 90 dB and 1 meter were quite good for all of their pass bands.

jr@macjohnny5jzSteve_Lee
  • Yep, besides unwinding a couple of inductors I have all the parts laid out. Will start soldering up the prototypes tomorrow morning.

kenrhodesugly_wooferMartyH
  • edited December 2023

Had the chance to spend some time listening to these yesterday. I bit too forward in the mids and just a little too hot up top. Made some corrections to add another 1.5 dB of BSC for the woofers, padded the mid another 1 dB and the tweeter 1.5 dB. Just about perfect now. I'll listen to them on and off the next few weeks to make a final determination. Gotta say I really like the dome mids and buyout tweeters. I'm gonna take a few FR measurements and a distortion sweep later today or tomorrow. Cheap (and free) drivers can be lots of fun. Full disclosure, there is an laminate core coil and a large value NPE cap in the woofer filter. Everything else is air core coils and 160V poly caps purchased from Brad at JF.

Steve_LeeRon_Ehifiside4thtry
  • I notice a slight spectral tilt - I do the same thing on most of my designs. Nice work, Craig. Fun playing in budget land from time to time.

I have a signature.