Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Christmas break speaker project

I have some vacation days left to use up so it'll be a nice 2 week break away from work. I decided I wanted to build a cheap 3 way to keep me busy. Looking through my driver shelves I decided to use the following drivers:

• Peerless 830491 8" XLS woofers that I bought from Charlie for $20 each
  • No name circa 1980's 2" soft dome mids that Ron E gave me in Iowa
  • JDT-6803 1" soft dome buyout tweeters that were $4.98 each from PE

Repurposing some 1 cubic foot boxes means I only need to cut off the existing baffles and machine some new ones. I finished machining the new 1-1/8" thick baffles last night. Tonight they will get glued onto the old boxes. The weather is supposed to be fairly nice here tomorrow and Thursday so I should be able to flush trim them and give them a nice 1" round over on all 4 edges.

jhollanderTom_Sjr@machifisidekenrhodesDanPSteve_LeeWolfDrewsBrews6thplanetand 3 others.

Comments

• Those actually look really good together. Should be interesting.

• I've always enjoyed the sound of soft dome mids - since falling for ADS L810s back in the 70s.

• I took some quick measurements of the two dome mids when I got back from Iowa and they measured really well. Very flat frequency response up to 5kHz and very low distortion (< -55 dB) above Fs which was ~700 Hz.

Nicholas_23
  • I'm glad to see the mid looks like it will work out for you. I look forward to seeing this all together.

Ron

• That looks really cool!

Geoff

• Considering how little you spent on drivers, these will blow away anything in the former Super Budget category!

PWRRYD
  • That looks like a great combo. It feels like they should have an ADS L780 asthetic

PWRRYDkenrhodesNicholas_23
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • edited December 2023

Late 80s/early 90s vibes for me. "Golden oak" on all faces? ;)

• Love me some 80s look speakers.

I have a signature.
  • Nothing too exciting to show but I was able to get the baffles flush trimmed and the 1 inch round overs done. Tomorrow I can reinstall all the 1 inch thick foam wall lining then wire and mount the drivers.

jr@machifisidekenrhodesSteve_LeeSilver1omo6thplanetdynamo4thtryColonel7
  • Looking good sir

• Serious question my DIY friends. Which woofer orientation looks better? Originally I though I had to have the truncated sides vertical otherwise the woofer's frame would encroach on the 1" baffle round overs. After machining I see that I can mount them either way. So which looks better?

• I like the truncated sides top and bottom.

Steve_LeeWolfa4eaudioNicholas_23Gowa6thplanet
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Now that I see both options, I agree with Scott.

Steve_LeeWolfa4eaudio
  • Top and bottom.

Steve_LeeWolfa4eaudio
  • Yes, sir - match the flats for the win.

Wolfa4eaudio
  • I almost want to vote for vertical because I feel like the vertical flats may be getting their feelings hurt. But, yeah, horizontal.

Steve_Lee
  • I think having the flats in the sides helps the speaker look taller. I also like that it lines the screws up with the mids. In the horizontal picture it looks like they are a little out of alignment with the mid.

• Dude, pear shaped is where its at for us old guys - get used to it.

• Yup top and bottom for sure!

Cool build!

Steve_Lee
  • edited December 2023

Guess I'm in the minority. I say keep things vert. More tight and tall looking. Works well with the lanky dimensions of the cab.

Horizontal looks a lil too gordo for the cab to me.

If the cabinet were more squat and the flats were buttin, then horizontal all the way.

Steve_Lee
  • flat sides up and bottom, keeps nice symmetry

Steve_Lee
  • Member , some people listen with their eyes

Steve_Lee
  • @Nicholas_23 said:
    Member , some people listen with their eyes

Does anyone look with their ears?

Steve_Lee
  • AAh my earballs!

Nicholas_23Steve_Lee
  • @a4eaudio said:

@Nicholas_23 said:

Does anyone look with their ears?

The deaf.

a4eaudio6thplanetSteve_Lee
  • @Nicholas_23 said:

More of us than care to admit allow appearances to influence our perception of sound. There is a reason the high end commercial guys spend so much R&D budget on how they look. Except for Magico - those look like a decent DIY effort IMNSHO.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • Craig, I vote for top/bottom alignment. Generally I prefer the L/R style but in this case it does maintain a certain geometry.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • This is why I hate the truncated Peerless drivers...rear mount them.

6thplaneta4eaudioPWRRYDkenrhodesScottSSteve_Lee
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails