Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

MAC-06 and GRS open back tweeter bookshelf

I have a few projects in line for Christmas break, since my company shuts down for the week between Christmas and New Years. I have really wanted to try out the GRS PT2522C-4 in an open baffle arrangement since it came out. I really wanted to try it in an omni/open baffle configuration. I tried that first. I measured it, and it was a mess. It really wasn't worth the crossover components to make it work. My second choice was something similar to the GR Research NX Studios. I was asked last year to do the veneer and paint work on a pair. The voicing was not to my taste, and neither was the sealed 6.5" driver. They just seemed thin. I thought I would try something similar, but with the GRS tweeter and a MAC 6" woofer vented.

This is my try at an omni speaker. It was thrown in the trash after measurements.

This is where I am at with the bookshelves.

hifisideSilver1omoSteve_Leejr@macugly_wooferColonel76thplanetjhollanderrjj454thtry

Comments

• edited December 2023

The fronts are recycled 1.5" thick butcher block counter tops. The back will either be painted black or veneered. Not sure yet. The boxes are ~.6 cubic foot enclosures tuned to 43hz.

I started on the crossover. The tweeter was difficult to work with. It had a weird roll off and was tough to get the phase in line with the woofer. I ended up with a first order and a notch on the woofer and a second order and a notch on the tweeter. I just order a few components I was short on from Jule Fidelity and will see what this sounds like.

I played around with the woofer full range to get a feel for what it sounded like. It seems promising so far.

kenrhodeshifisideSteve_Leejr@mac6thplanet
  • Those look great. Sims look very promising.

• Dan NeuBecker, who did several omnis, typically used a convex "diffuser" above the woofer and mid. But this looks like a fun project in any case.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Awesome!

I have a signature.
  • Threw some stain and poly on the fronts. I need to figure out what to do with the rest. I have some urethane paint left over from a motorcycle I painted this fall. I may use some of that.

jr@macSteve_LeesilverDhifisidekenrhodesNicholas_23tajanes4thtry6thplanet
  • Having built something very similar (2 projects actually) I would strongly suggest a piece of 1" damping on the top of your woofer enclosure.

tajanes
  • Wall thickness or internal fluff?

• He is saying damping laid external atop the enclosure should be used for reflection reduction off the rear wave of the planar.

Steve_Lee
  • I was thinking that would be worth experimenting with. I was going to use something with an adhesive back after I paint them.

• @Wolf said:
    He is saying damping laid external atop the enclosure should be used for reflection reduction off the rear wave of the planar.

Yes this.

• edited December 2023

I got bondo on the boxes, and am priming today. I am using some high build sandable 2k primer. I wish I could afford this stuff on all builds.

jr@macSteve_Leehifiside
  • Just got the basecoat on. Will do the clear next.

tajanesRon_Ehifisidejr@macSilver1omo6thplanet
  • Clear coat is done. Just need to start voicing the crossover once everything is dry.

6thplanet
  • Better you than me. gawd I hate painting!

• @DrewsBrews said:
    Better you than me. gawd I hate painting!

So do I. My shop is a huge disaster right now, and I have to wear a paint mask to go in it due to the smell. I usually only paint with automotive paint in a diy paint booth I made using an easy up outside in the summer.

• I'm not a huge fan of building the cabinets, but doing the bodywork and squirting I don't mind at all.

I have a signature.
  • Got the speakers assembled. Now to cobble together a crossover to test.

hifiside6thplanetjr@macSteve_LeesilverDTom_SNicholas_23
  • Cool speakers and garage🤘🏼

johnny5jz
  • I like the look of your baffle...

johnny5jz
  • I just finished up the crossover. II have to say, the MAC driver is really good for the price. The bass is better than I expected. It was also really easy to work with. The GRS on the other hand was a huge pain to work with. It also took a fair bit of tweaking to get rid of sibilance. It all sounds pretty good now. Below is my measured response where I landed and the final crossover.

Steve_LeehifisidePWRRYD
  • Using the Neo3, I had the same issues. It was hard to get it between sibilant and dull.

• Here is a pic of how I wired the GRS into the box. I used some tube connectors that were given to me. I really didn't have any other use for them, but look good in this application.

Steve_LeehifisideSilver1omo
  • Have you tried listening with and without a little damping pad on top of the enclosure? My last project with an OB planar like you have had weird imaging without it. Almost like the singer was sometimes 3 feet higher than the actual speaker. The damping pad cured that.

• I did. I used some mattress topper on it. I plan to order some sonic barrier from PE to put on top long term, unless anyone has any ideas on something that would look better.

• edited December 2023

Could try 1/2" firm felt. Can typically find in white, cream, and various grays. I think I got mine off Grainger.

Not a bad use of tube connectors IMO. Though I'd probably just drill a hole to pass the wires and seal with silicone.. covering any ugliness with the felt on top. Ive done one build with a tweeter up on a "flying" section of baffle. Not dipole, but I did need to cut a relief for the back cup to stick out. I ended up hiding the wires by drilling down behind where the tweeter flange would cover and through the baffle at an angle into the enclosure.

johnny5jz
  • I was going to suggest felt also but the price has went through the roof. This is the felt I use in my more hi-end builds.
    https://www.thefeltcompany.com/eco-felt-1-4-thick-x-60-wide-3-yard-minimum/

johnny5jz
  • Wow, that is pricey. Look good though.

• I bought mine before the sheep went on strike.

Steve_Leejr@mac
  • One piece cut in half should be more than you need:

https://www.mcmaster.com/product/87415K17