Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Iaell - 8" 3-way

Comments

• I dropped a mention for JFComponents triple input terminal plate over at PETT. Mentioned I could not share a link - but the awesome part is my signature is composed of links directly to the MAC drivers lol.

Turn2hifiside
    I have a signature.
  • I just realized this is the 4th standmount 3-way I've done in the last year and a half. I may have a problem as I want to do at least one more this summer lol. Oh well.

ugly_woofer
    I have a signature.
  • So how is PT / shoulder doing?

• Shoulder is pretty good, started lifting weights this week!

tajanesSteve_LeeEggguyjhollanderkenrhodes
    I have a signature.
  • start slow
    6-pack, 12-pack, case, before the keggers 😎

jr@macSteve_Lee
  • Beautiful!

jr@mac
  • I am waiting for the caps to arrive - trying a different brand I can only find on AliExpress.

See how they go.

tajanesScottS
    I have a signature.
  • I'm interested in your thoughts on those caps. Hovland was a pretty good name in film and foils, and known for being pretty revealing.

• I'll report as well as I can.

I have a signature.
  • The old Hovland Musicap manufacturer went under in 2009. Too bad, as I always thought they sounded great in tube gear. But they were a little expensive to use in my own experimental creations.

• Getting anxious for the caps to show up, want to get this one buttoned up.

Got the utility room/workbench cleaned up and ready to go.

I want to get to brainstorming my next project which will likely be a small 2-way.

I have a signature.
  • Yep, IMB was the manufacturer. First Hovland MusiCap in yellow, then the black SuperCap version was made, and then a return to the Hovland brand in blue as shown. I couldn't find them elsewhere either, but coulda sworn I say them at PCX at one point. Tony Gee has not tried these, so they must be fairly recent.

I have some IMB and classic MusiCaps pending for use in my build with the CAT378 and NE180-4.

• I have a signature.
  • Could be counterfeit, but that doesn't automatically make them bad. Very well may be great caps.

• edited March 17

The price is certainly good. And insulated leads. They look like stranded wire. Haven't seen that other than some Solens I bought from Madisound about 30 years ago.

• edited March 17

The ones I already have are well within tolerance.
    Just your basic MKP capacitor with fancy leads is all
    Possibly counterfeit. I don't care so much about that possibility, just hope the next ones are within spec as well.

I have a signature.
  • The older Hovlands were stranded too. Always found that a bit odd myself.

• Well my first interaction with AliExpress was a pain in the ass, but stuff finally showed up. With as much as you've ordered, I hope it's not always like that.

• @6thplanet said:
    Well my first interaction with AliExpress was a pain in the ass, but stuff finally showed up. With as much as you've ordered, I hope it's not always like that.

The only complaint I have so far, and I do order quite a bit from AliExpress, is shipping can be quite slow - especially for larger items like drivers.

6thplanet
    I have a signature.
  • Sofar I've had positive results. Just gotta wait for the stuff to circle the globe. One item I think is going via sea instead of air. So not only is it taking quite a while, but it seems the tracking info is extra sparse as well.

• So I bought a pair of Seas Prestige 6" drivers in 4 ohm. The pair was $150 from Madi. I'm going to use them in my next build, love a good breakup challenge.
    I'll start a separate thread when they get here and I measure T/s.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • Yeah, +15dB from nominal that breakup is...

• I'm always impressed by a breakup that also shows up in the impedance plot. "We're not damping anything, good luck." - Seas.

I used to look at those as possible woofers in the "Matrix Revolution" project - but was happy enough with the ND-140's to stick with them. The revolutions are in a good place right now hanging out with the Classe amp.

The little alcove provides a variable amount of bass reinforcement depending on how far I place the speakers from the wall. It can deliver the "how are 5" woofers doing that" impression.

kenrhodesjr@mac
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Right now I'm pretty damn sick, so even if the caps show up tomorrow I won't be doing anything with them.

I have a signature.
  • Tired of waiting for slow boat for the blue caps, so started knocking the crossovers together this morning.
    On left are the woofer/tweeter portions which are complete and on right is the midrange section which has wires yet to attach. I used all Rival Polar Caps on the T/M with the exception of the notch filter on the mid, and a big honking Audiophiler cap on the woofer.

johnny5jzSteve_Leetajanesugly_wooferTom_S4thtry
    I have a signature.
  • kenrhodeshifisidejohnny5jzsilverDugly_wooferSteve_Leetajanes6thplanetTom_SColonel7and 1 other.
    I have a signature.
  • Infinity would be proud. Cool build.

jr@mac
  • edited March 29

@6thplanet said:
    Infinity would be proud. Cool build.

With full awareness our aural memories are for shit, I do believe I exceeded the Interlude model I used as my inspiration. That being said, I still have a lot of respect for 2000s Infinity line-up. I know one of their designers from that time frame and he is passionate about doing things right and has the usual issue in most commercial speakers - accountants.

6thplanet
    I have a signature.
  • edited March 29

..also, the bass is tremendous out of this woofer. No subwoofer needed, plenty of slam and good extension. I should have used a larger diameter port - the only wart we have found on this design so far.

ugly_wooferSteve_Lee
    I have a signature.