Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Iaell - 8" 3-way

Comments

• Ready for measurements.

hifisideSteve_Leejohnny5jzSilver1omosilverD6thplanetGowarjj45MartyH
    I have a signature.
  • Maybe tonight depending on weather. Supposed to be very windy, so we may skip our planned evening walk. Still cool here so wind makes it miserable.

Tom_S
    I have a signature.
  • Theoretical insomniac model, may start twisting leads tomorrow night:

Steve_Leehifisidejohnny5jzrjj45ScottS
    I have a signature.
  • I actually kind of like this one:

Anyways, time to try and get a little more sleep - 2:15 here and my alarm is set for 5:00. Might hit the gym, not sure - been going almost every day and my legs need a break. So maybe I will set the alarm for 6:00 instead and I need to quit this rambling nonsense. Damn lack of sleep.

Steve_LeehifisideSilver1omorjj45
    I have a signature.
  • edited March 8

Listening right now. Legit bass.

Four years ago today I suffered my knee injury. Thought I'd celebrate by getting up and down off the floor. Also a dram of 27 year old Scotch.

hifisideSilver1omojohnny5jzrjj45ugly_wooferColonel7
    I have a signature.
  • I would that Brads 6 gang binding post is worth every penny. Do it.

I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    I would that Brads 6 gang binding post is worth every penny. Do it.

And is on sale.

jr@mac
  • Got this far last night.

ugly_wooferhifisideScottSPWRRYDrjj456thplanet
    I have a signature.
  • What's your impression of that GRS ribbon? I know it's no Viawave so it can't do 2kHz but how is its timber?

• @PWRRYD said:
    What's your impression of that GRS ribbon? I know it's no Viawave so it can't do 2kHz but how is its timber?

I really like them. They are used in my daily drivers, so am pretty familiar with them.

I have a signature.
  • This is the current XO:

We spent about an hour last night listening to a wide variety of music and I received some very positive comments from Mrs. JR.

Impedance dips below 4 ohms down a little lower, but even my cheap-ass Dayton APA150 had no issue driving them.

For shits and giggles, modeled response:

ugly_wooferSteve_Leejhollanderhifisidetajanesjohnny5jz
    I have a signature.
  • I have no idea what the blip at ~220 is, but probably a port resonance. I have to tinker with stuffing yet, so that may smooth out a bit, we shall see. As is, I was not picking up on it and it is pretty narrow bandwidth - also right in an area that is room dominated anyways.

I have a signature.
  • So the caps are a few weeks out, so I will be contemplating my next project in the meantime. Something using available drivers, high quality, and easy to duplicate. I think something using the 5" MAC driver and the Dayton waveguide tweeter is in order.

I have a signature.
  • Or maybe a another 8" 3-way using budget drivers this time - GRS 8" poly woofer, sealed back mid, and the Dayton Designer tweeter. That one will be easy peasy - I can just reuse the insomniac cabinet. Swap out woofers and see whats up.

I have a signature.
  • Or maybe a 2.5 way using three MAC06's WTWW. High sensitivity

jr@mac
  • edited March 12

JR - Do you have a spreadsheet of available/in [your] stock drivers listed by type available for us to mix and match into combinations as suggestions for your obvious XO development talents?

This way you can get the feedback you desire and some of us may benefit from having the same drivers in our own stock.

Just a thought.

• I'll throw one together.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • edited March 13

I have a signature.
  • Calling dibs on the Viawaves...

• Yooo! Where did you get the northcreek D25's?

• I don’t think it’s a sale. Just inventory.

• @Nicholas_23 said:
    Yooo! Where did you get the northcreek D25's?

Ugly Woofer

I have a signature.
  • Forgot I have some MCM 5".

I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:

@Nicholas_23 said:
    Yooo! Where did you get the northcreek D25's?

Ugly Woofer

Ahhh , yes the other Nick , Shoot , mustve missed that sale. Shoot

• @Steve_Lee said:
    JR - Do you have a spreadsheet of available/in [your] stock drivers listed by type available for us to mix and match into combinations as suggestions for your obvious XO development talents?

This way you can get the feedback you desire and some of us may benefit from having the same drivers in our own stock.

Just a thought.

Two way: Beston bigass ribbon, Peerless 8" HDS Aluminum. No paper, no plastic - we aren't here to buy groceries.

jr@mackenrhodesSteve_LeeEggguyjhollander
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • MTM, SB poly 5" + SB waveguide

jr@mac
  • WMTMW using the Dynavox 6.5" ported and Dynavox 5" for mids, with North D25 tweeter. That is my vote.

jr@mac
  • @ScottS said:

@Steve_Lee said:

Just a thought.

Two way: Beston bigass ribbon, Peerless 8" HDS Aluminum. No paper, no plastic - we aren't here to buy groceries.

That could be whipped up easy enough.

ScottS
    I have a signature.
  • @a4eaudio said:
    MTM, SB poly 5" + SB waveguide

Interesting you mention that combo - one of the ideas that has been floating around in the old noggin.

@Mitchell_Cote said:
    WMTMW using the Dynavox 6.5" ported and Dynavox 5" for mids, with North D25 tweeter. That is my vote.

I bought the Dynavox specifically to someday do a MTMWW with them and an as yet to be determined tweeter. The D25 is as good a choice as any.

I have a signature.