Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Waveguide inverted dome?

I CADed up and printed this Visaton waveguide adapter for a Focal TC120K. I'll get some basic measurements soon, but any guesses how this will shake out considering it is an inverted dome?

6thplanetNicholas_23Turn2ugly_woofertajanesdynamo

Comments

• Narrower dispersion than a convex dome?

• That's neato!

• I'm very curious to see how this comes together.

I have a signature.
  • Well, I took some very quick measurements at the same distance of ~1m, at the same output level, with a 20uF cap, and at eyeballed angles of 0, 15, and 45. It looks like the waveguide causes response issues @ 5khz on axis.
    Here are the non-waveguide measurements:

Here are the waveguide measurements:

dynamo
  • Is this about 2 3/4” ?

The distance corresponds with a wavelength of 5KHz. This could be the cause of the destructive interference causing the dip…

If so, try a large round-over bit. Overdose you might need to remove existing faceplate

4thtry
  • edited January 4

Wg148 is 148mm dia so about 2.91" radius. Not too far off. Then notice the non wg response is already a bit dipped in that range compared to the trending slope So I bet that is playing into it as well. Maybe try measuring again with a baffle of some sort (cardboard?) and see if it gets any better?

I wonder if this would respond better to a shallow horn with a throat dia closer to the diaphragm size like a bolt on 1"horn.

• edited January 4

This was more of an experiment than anything else. I have had these tweeters and 8V416J woofers for about 25 years and was finally looking to build them. I've lost my Madisound designed LEAP crossover since then, but after taking these basic measurements I think they will be better suited to a 3 way. I'm looking to pair the Focal woofers and tweeters with MDM55 mids. Look for a new thread on this.

The adapter you see above is 5mm thick to accommodate the waveguide mounting screws to be recessed. It has a matching 38mm throat to the waveguide that is filleted to 44 mm to fit around the foam surround on the tweeter. The tweeter\waveguide was mounded using a screw or two to a reused baffle with too large of a cutout. Do you think this fillet or the 5mm thickness is causing the odd response or the fact that it is an inverted dome?
    Thanks,
    Nate

• Here is the adapter:

• This is VERY close to a WG-148 I can change it as needed if anyone wants it custom set up let me know. I might be able to print it if someone needed me to.

rjj45hifisidejhollandertajanesSilver1omodynamosilverD
  • Interesting, I have been wanting to try an EPI inverted dome in a seos8. I have an old set of EPI 10” woofers and thought that would be a cool combo.

I wonder what the result of a “phase plug” suspended right above the center of the dome would be for the on-axis?

• Off axis looks ok, I’d consider mounting it on a baffle with a slope angled up then have it so sitting at tweeter level would be 30 or so off axis automatically.