Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Guitar tube preamp + class D power amp project

2»

Comments

• Moved the HV part of the power supply over a bit to make more room (separation) from the signal level stuff. Added a small plate for the guitar input jack and added a plate for the control pots. Just a "Gain" and "Master Volume" pot for now. Provisions for the tone stack pots when I get that far.

Silver1omo6thplanet
  • Looking good! Wish I lived closer. I have some cool old medical test equipment enclosures that would be perfect for a small tube guitar amp.

• Look what I got! It's in much better shape than the picture makes it look like (poor lighting):

Just borrowing it from my Church. I have a bass player friend willing to give me lessons.

jr@maca4eaudioTom_SSteve_LeetajanesSilver1omougly_woofer6thplanet
  • Nice , thats pretty much a Fender.

• The few G&L I have held felt very different than their Fender brothers. All great workes inspired by Leo Fender. This bass showing his Music Man influence, very cool.

• Hell yeah bro! That's a heck of a learner bass right there. Hopefully the set-up is decent.

• edited January 29

My bassist friend says it plays very well (he said the neck is straight and the action is good). He also said this was a pretty big step up from Fenders back when it was purchased in the 80's. Not sure what to make of that. I do know Leo Fender at some point started Music Man. I know a guy who plays a Music Man bass and I have a Music Man HD One Thirty tube head...

I can say this thing weighs a ton, twice as heavy as my Fender Stratocaater! I'm excited to learn something new. FWIW I haven't played guitar since about 1986 and even back then I was just a garage band hack who knew nothing about music theory, just power bar chords
    :#

• As with anything, have fun with it. Best case, ya dig it and I'll be sending you one of my bass amp PCB's 😎🤘🏼

Steve_Lee
  • edited February 4

Last night I proved out my 12AX7 tube preamp circuit using the little 50 watt class-D power amp board and my Fender Stratocaster. Sounded pretty good with the 8" Celestion guitar driver I had just sitting on the bench. Got stupid loud actually.

Next up is too build the tone stack and hear how that can change the sound. Unfortunately I don't have the linear potentiometers and capacitors I need to build that.

Initially my goal for this project was to build this with only parts I already had in my parts bins. Guess that is out the window now LOL...

So if I have to place an order for some components and pay for shipping why not build a tube output section too??? Initially I was thinking a simple single ended 6V6 output. Unfortunately I don't have any SET output transformers and output iron has gotten stupidly expensive lately. I do have an output transformer, the tubes, and most of the parts to build a push-pull EL84 output. Bingo!

My transformer doesn't have UL taps so I need to decide if I will make a screen supply or wire the EL84's as strapped triodes. More to follow.

Tom_SDrewsBrews6thplanet4thtrySilver1omo
  • I'm very interested to diy a stereo tube amp some day so this is awesome!