Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

The most coveted vintage gear

2»

Comments

• edited April 22

Maybe it's just me, but I've always lusted over the simplicity of naim's. If I didn't run 2+2 with an A/V preamp I'd probably get one. If I could just figure out how to add surround channels... I've even thought about just going with a Hafler circuit but don't want to run it off of my mains amp. I don't believe it is possible to just run a second amp with just the Hafler connection (+ with +) for the surround speakers, suggestions / ideas ???

• There's somebody in my area selling a Sansui 5000x for $400 a Sansui 5050 for $300, and a Knight 333 tube receiver for $200. They all look like they are in pretty nice condition. Are any of these worth it? What would be a fair price for the best of that lot?

• Sansui made some pretty nice sounding gear which always looked cool. I've seen the 5000x for USD $500-$800 which sees rather steep. The 5050 seems cheaper, at least in Oz - about A$400 for a "fair condition" example.

My sister has a 5050 which sounds really nice, bought it new and never had a problem despite many years of cranking up The Who at maximum volume!

Geoff

6thplanet
  • The 5050 should be a great piece for that price. Looks fairly easy to service. But the 5000x is no slouch. I rebuilt it's little brother, a 2000x that I picked up earlier this year. That thing is the poster child of early 70s affordable HiFi. The 5000x looks a bit more stout, with split power supplies and a larger transformer.

• Should I make an offer on one of these?

• I sure would. But not everyone is a crazy vintage collector like me.

It's a tough choice between the two. The 5000x was the TOTL back then and some of the AKers say it compares to the early McIntosh sound. I stand corrected on the split power supplies - it has cap coupled, quasi-complimentary outputs. It might need some caps replaced. My 2000x sure did.

The 5050 is ~1/2 the power, but some say has tighter bass. That makes sense, seeing that it has no cap on the outputs. You really can't go wrong either way - choose the one you think looks the best.

• I'm partial to Sony and my TA-F6B integrated and PS-50X turntable. I know it's not the coveted TA-F7B with VFETs but then again I don't have to worry about replacing transistors you can't find anymore and it still sounds great. Same with the 50X, not top of line 70X but less to go wrong. Sony just has a way with design.

6thplanetSteve_LeeGeoffMillarTurn2
  • I'll probably pass on these receivers as I'm

1) not a collector of old gear

2) don't really need a receiver because Rockford radio stations suck

Ed_Perkins
  • @getdadams said:
    I'm partial to Sony and my TA-F6B integrated and PS-50X turntable. I know it's not the coveted TA-F7B with VFETs but then again I don't have to worry about replacing transistors you can't find anymore and it still sounds great. Same with the 50X, not top of line 70X but less to go wrong. Sony just has a way with design.

That's an awesome looking amp! I've never even seen one of that series in person.

• The only thing I have that is "vintage" is an old Onkyo integrated in the garage. I like it because it is 4 ohm stable and has no problem driving the old garage speakers.

Tom_S
    I have a signature.
  • @Tom_S said:

@getdadams said:
    I'm partial to Sony and my TA-F6B integrated and PS-50X turntable. I know it's not the coveted TA-F7B with VFETs but then again I don't have to worry about replacing transistors you can't find anymore and it still sounds great. Same with the 50X, not top of line 70X but less to go wrong. Sony just has a way with design.

That's an awesome looking amp! I've never even seen one of that series in person.

Thanks, they were made extremely well. I don't think Sony gets the credit for the incredible stuff they made in the 70s. I had a slightly older Marantz 2245 and there simply is no comparison in quality or design in my opinion,

www.thevintageknob.org/sony-TA-F6B.html

Steve_Lee
  • edited April 29

I picked the SX-1250 up on Saturday. I haven't even carried it into the house because it smells pretty funky. It's in worse shape than any piece of gear I've ever purchased. I picked up an old Pilot receiver with blown outputs for $30 last year that was pretty filthy, but this 1250 has it beat hands down. I got the Pilot running, so there's hope for this one too!

ugly_woofer4thtrySteve_Lee6thplanetGeoffMillarhifisideTurn2
  • There's a metric ton of stuff going on that faceplate! Holy buttons Batman!!! :p

• Hey Tom, you think that looks bad, take a look at this. I found this classic amp at my local re-store marked "SOLD AS IS - NO RETURNS." Circa 1969. 60wpc. Kind of beat up looking. I figured, hey, only a few bucks, might as well take a chance and see if I can get it working again.

I checked the fuse and it tests good. Popped the cover. Very thick layer of dust and grim. I tried to lightly brush some of it off, but discovered that the "dust" is almost "burned" into the surface. Found a few leaky/bulgy power supply caps that need replacing. Tested the xformer primary and secondary. No opens or shorts. Pulled and did a simple diode check on all output and driver transistors. All good with no shorts, but the socket pins are loose and they need new mica pads & heat sink grease.

My guess is that re-store employees could not test it because the power cord was missing and they could not find a replacement to fit the unique AC power inlet on the back. (see pic). Plan is to finish checking all parts, re-cap the power supply, and then slowly bring it up with variac and dim bulb.

6thplanetNicholas_23ugly_wooferjhollander
  • Wow, I bet that could tell some stories!

• That's a cool old piece! Was that thing stored in a barn? Glad you rescued it. Those knobs remind me of something...like the HK Citation Eleven? They are very similar.

• I bet the lack of power cord saved it from becoming trash before you found it

4thtry
  • I'll show you more of the carnage once I have it in the house, but here's a preview. This is what's left of the speaker protection relay.

• Where is the coil and case?

• Good question! It looks like somebody thought they could fix it and may have started a repair or refurb. The power transformer bolts are missing and the main caps are disconnected underneath. Likely left it in a dirty garage and some kid decided to take the wire cutters to it. They pried the bottom cover up while it was still attached on one end. I really hope they didn't cut things up too much. It's a bit of a mystery. An adult wouldn't do this kind of damage.

• @Tom_S said:
    ...An adult wouldn't do this kind of damage.

Your adult friends/acquaintances must be more responsible than mine. ;)

Steve_Lee6thplanetKornbread
  • edited April 30

@a4eaudio said:

@Tom_S said:
    ...An adult wouldn't do this kind of damage.

Your adult friends/acquaintances must be more responsible than mine. ;)

You ain't seen nothing yet, hold my beer!

• @Tom_S said:
    That's a cool old piece! Was that thing stored in a barn? Glad you rescued it. Those knobs remind me of something...like the HK Citation Eleven? They are very similar.

Probably not. Does not smell like a barn. No cigarette smell either. It almost seems like it was used for many years in a very dusty environment and then sat idle for about 10 to 15 years in an outside storage shed. The slow temperature and humidity shifts over the years probably "baked" the dust onto the components and PCB boards.

• The most vintage thing I have is a Nakamichi TA-2A.

• That Stasis gear is sweet! I know Nelson Pass had a hand in designing some of the power amps.

Analogkid455
  • @Tom_S said:
    That Stasis gear is sweet! I know Nelson Pass had a hand in designing some of the power amps.

Yes, and it sounds really good. Comparing it to my Yamaha AVR, no comparison.

• I too have a Nakamichi Stasis TA that's on loan to my brother. I'm mostly interested in streaming audio players and class D stuff, but was gifted these well used items:
    Denon DCD-520 CD player
    Philips 673 tuner
    Pioneer A-91D

Analogkid455Tom_S