Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Ideas for next years Indiyana theme

I realize that Indy is not a democracy, but I heard some great ideas, and I thought that I would share them with Chuck and Ben as well as open this up for others to throw out ideas for future events. First of all if anyone has feelings, put them on a shelf and leave them stored away. This thread is not a contest to have your idea pick or any of these ideas picked, just a spitballing secession.
These ideas weren't mine so if the person who's idea it was wants to elaborate on, please do. The first idea was John H's, it was cardboard enclosures. This would be low cost and could be extremely creative, we're talking crazy shapes, horns, huge boxes, you name it. The next one is from Dan P, exciters on panels, also low cost with plenty of room for creativity like above. The final idea came from Javad, foam board enclosures, and once again the sky is the limit on creativity.
Just to clarify, I'm not trying to start a war or take over the event. I'm simply throwing out ideas that I heard, that once again aren't even mine, because I believe that all of them have merit, and I'm sure my fellow geeks can come up with a hundred more. Merely food for thought.

jr@macjhollanderkenrhodesNicholas_23

Comments

• I have been pinged with others too.
    Several that were said there have already been done. However, others have merit...
    Ken said; tweeterless, incorporate an odd angle, or 2 tweeters.
    I've thought about 1.5 ways, nothing smaller than 4".
    Maybe make a driver orientation mandatory. For example, face one in the system straight up.
    Rory said to set a weight limit, which is intriguing.

And, there are a couple I think I have saved somewhere that I need to look at again.
    Thanks for starting this for inspiration!

ugly_wooferkenrhodes
  • edited April 28

hmm,
    interesting ideas

• 442 4 sides 4 drivers 2 sizes. 4 drivers of the same size on 4 different sides, only 2 size drivers per speaker. It could be 4 tweeters on 4 sides or 4 woofers on 4 sides or 4 woofers a matching size mid and tweeter.

• The cardboard idea is interesting. It would certainly limit the number of entries.

• Nothing to see here. No visible cones when viewed from the front and no grills (sorry, Nick). Slot loaded woofers, horn loading, reflectors, focal lenses, you name it as long as the cone is not visible from the front. Tweeters can be seen.

tajanesa4eaudio
  • That would allude to MEH designs, a possibility.

• Can I vote twice for cardboard?

• Again- not a democracy. It's not up for a vote.

• NLA drivers only

• I thought about that a little prior, and it could be applied.

• @Eggguy said:
    Can I vote twice for cardboard?

It IS much more forgiving of those few Tight French-curves . . . ;)

Eggguy
  • edited April 29

Another idea...
    High sensitivity (whatever that means, 90db? 93db?), with a cost limit and maybe some additional constraint, like 8 ohm nominal.

• Similar to cardboard, foam, small, and cheap implement a 5 pound weight limit per speaker :)

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • We've already done high sensitivity.....

• I suggest moving the event closer to me. My$.02

Steve_Lee6thplanetEd_PerkinsTom_STurn2jholtzugly_woofer
  • Create an "art project" speaker could work. IE, grills with artwork, speakers that look like sculpture, etc.

Turn2
  • @Wolf said:
    Create an "art project" speaker could work. IE, grills with artwork, speakers that look like sculpture, etc.

PG Rated? B)

6thplanetSteve_Lee
  • edited May 1

@hifiside said:
    I suggest moving the event closer to me. My$.02

Move closer to the event ;)

My art would probably be OSB +sticker bomb/bathroom wall marker graffiti... Might be an excuse for me to do a super budget build.. See how not horrible I can make it sound.

• "Formidable", for the glorious midrange.

tajanesBillet
  • Maybe "Woofer Yoga". In either direction, or both. Maybe limit the size to make it harder. Just throwing ideas out there.

• edited May 2

@Wolf said:
    "Formidable", for the glorious midrange.

what is "formiable"? one design i wanted to make was make the midrange strech beyond what we typically do, so maybe cover from say 100 to 3000+ or some other very broad range, so the woofer or super tweeter is just filling in the extreme ends, just so it doesn end up being a single driver or FAST config

• How about midrange yoga? Mandate a 3 way speaker with a required xover from mid to woofer of 200Hz or lower and a maximum midrange size of 3 inches.

• @ani_101 said:

@Wolf said:
    "Formidable", for the glorious midrange.

what is "formiable"? one design i wanted to make was make the midrange strech beyond what we typically do, so maybe cover from say 100 to 3000+ or some other very broad range, so the woofer or super tweeter is just filling in the extreme ends, just so it doesn end up being a single driver or FAST config

Sounds like he was spitballing a name for the challenge. ForMIDable..

ani_101Wolf
  • edited May 2

or mid yoga - like Bill suggested a mid covering an very wide range - and it can be named ForMIDable - would like to hear what a no XO in the critical range sounds like - haven't hear many.

In this years theme, i really liked Nick's entry - the open tweeter with the low XO might have given it the slight edge to win

• For tweeterless, 1.5way, or the like, I'm spitballing "tweeterectomy" =-)

DrewsBrews6thplanet
  • edited May 2

Have we done a single driver? Could be multiples of a single driver?

kenrhodes
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • We have not at InDIYana event, but it could happen....

• edited May 2

@jhollander said:
    Could be multiples of a single driver?

++ but include allowance for 1.5 ways with differing size drivers - and ok if limit in size for the ½ way lower-end driver (as measured ctr to ctr surround)

• I do like the theme part of this event. It forces or encourages us to go beyond what we are comfortable with. I think that is how shit gets invented.

Analogkid4556thplanetSteve_Lee