Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

The Quarters

13Β»

Comments

• edited August 2

shoehorned that garden hose into the speakON > nice fit

Steve_Lee
  • One inside shellacked.

6thplanet
  • Are these also pillars to support an upstairs apartment?

Steve_LeePWRRYDAnalogkid455
  • Needs wheels and a set of handles on the rear/top corner like hand-trucks . . .

Analogkid455
  • Tell me you are worried about rigidity without telling me you are worried about rigidity.

Analogkid455
  • edited August 3

Yeah, I went a bit overboard. After hearing another forum member, Dan I think, having issues with the 5/8 inch butcher block splitting I wanted to provide good support. I got the other one shellacked and hopefully soon will be applying the Bee'Nooba wax to the outside.

Steve_LeeTom_SAnalogkid455
  • @silverD said:
    Yeah, I went a bit overboard. After hearing another forum member, Dan I think, having issues with the 5/8 inch butcher block splitting I wanted to provide good support. I got the other one shellacked and hopefully soon will be applying the Bee'Nooba wax to the outside.

No such thing as too braced.

Steve_Lee
  • I was thinking of using four of the GD-40-FBL casters per speaker to aid in moving them to and from listening position. Do you think mounting them to the bottom will provide enough stability or will a base or outriggers be needed?

• First coat of hard wax oil applied.

jr@macSteve_Lee6thplanetBillet
  • Outriggers for sure - you could snag a wheel and tip over while moving those narrow boxes if mounted underneath.

• I will look into some aluminum CNC'd outrigger plates to mount the casters to. I applied a second coat of hard wax oil to the cabinets.

johnny5jztajanesSteve_LeePWRRYDEggguyWolf6thplanettraw4thtryhifiside
  • Nice😎🀘🏼

• What do you know, Aldi will have these chopping blocks which includes a 15.75" x 15.75" x 1.57" acacia square option tomorrow! https://www.aldi.us/weekly-specials/upcoming-aldi-finds/upcoming-aldi-finds-detail/ps/p/croftonwooden-chopping-block/

• That reminds me. Locally we have a builders outlet type place. Last time i was there they had stacks of acacia countertop for not outrageous prices. But that was a few years ago.

• Yep, I haven't been there, but a local one has 25" x 96" acacia butcher block tops for $225: https://bmomn.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/ButcherBlockPricing2123.pdf

• I picked up 2 chopping blocks. I had to sort through to find the best ones and to be honest the quality isn't that great, but hopefully they work out. Here's a before and after of sanding and applying the hard wax oil.

• Here is a what they would like like with the chopping blocks

Steve_Lee4thtryTurn26thplanetNicholas_23
  • You could route some recesses in the bottom to install your casters so that they don't sit so high.

• That base looks really nice. Blends very well with the upper cabinet. :+1:

• Adds more beef to the beef.πŸ‘πŸ»
    I'd like to see it with the grain front to back.

WolfSteve_Leeugly_woofer
  • @6thplanet said:
    Adds more beef to the beef.πŸ‘πŸ»
    I'd like to see it with the grain front to back.

+1

• The chopping blocks have an interesting construction with the tops and bottoms that are wider, but much thinner then the middle boards. When I went to another Aldi, I found some boards that were simply two boards thick without the thin tops and bottoms. Because of the end grain and the recessed handles, I think I'll stick with the flat fronts. I'm a bit afraid to cut the boards to remove the recesses in case I uncover voids. Here are the two blocks stacked but one rotated by 90 degrees.

Steve_Lee
  • You could always place the name badges in the handle area.

• edited August 25

I was thinking the same thing Wolf, but I think I like the smooth front over the end grain. Haven't made a final decision though. What I did accomplish was filling one speaker with acoustic damping.

tajanesSteve_Lee6thplanet