Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

InDIYana 2025 theme announcement, "Tweeterectomy"... but build look-alikes if you want....

124»

Comments

• I don't know If I can make it next year, but as soon as I got the rules, I already knew what I was going to do.
    I have drivers in hand.
    TB W4 1337SDF

The woofer is a secret....lol!

• edited July 29

Hmmm, I've used those W4-1337 full range already, but the Neo version, in a triple chamber reflex. The ringing needs killed!! or they ring like a bell. I believe you've made a good choice! It's not that different from my widerange choice, the W4-1052SD!
    I'm not naming my woofers either yet.

Analogkid455
  • @Wolf said:
    Hmmm, I've used those W4-1337 full range already, but the Neo version, in a triple chamber reflex. The ringing needs killed!! or they ring like a bell. I believe you've made a good choice! It's not that different from my widerange choice, the W4-1052SD!

I have some tricks with this driver. I have worked with it. Big cross over....

• edited July 31

I also have a pair of NE123. Not sure if the size meets the rules but was looking at the response on that as well. Maybe really not a full range driver but, I can't hear above about 14khz. After all the drag racing I did, going to NASCAR races, concerts, playing drums for 40 years, I am surprised I can hear that high, lol! Plus I am getting old.

Just a thought. May play with them and see how they do if the frame measures big enough.
    May not like playing bass though.

• edited July 31

Frame diameter is 123mm so bigger than the 90mm minimum.

Looking at the factory graphs.. seems to me as much of a "fullrange" as any of that cone size.

Analogkid455
  • Yeah, I looked at it a few days ago and the old mind couldn't remember how high it went. I just remember it looked promising. Will have to model it and see if it can take some low end. I have some time to play with them but I may still end up with the TBs. I was just looking at what else I had to try out.

• edited August 1

@Analogkid455 said:
    ... Will have to model it and see if it can take some low end...

Maximum Linear Excursion, Xmax: 14.2mm !?!? surely thats a typo on the spec sheet? PE says 3.1mm. Even still that's better than the pc105 I'm using (2mm).

Analogkid455
  • Yeah, I would say 3 mm is probably correct. The TB I am probably going to use only has 2.5. But, I have modeled it and it seems like it will do really good in a small closed box. I forget the SPL it will do but it was pretty high.
    I have some PC105s as well. I was going to use 8 per side for a PA. Plus a 15" PRV for the low end.

• edited August 22

I know we have the ~35L volume constraint. Too late to lift that? I know that the restriction is probably there for the literal lifting of enclosures, but it rules out so many alignment options. I'm probably just whining.

• You can still make slender towers if needed.
    Whining? Maybe I suppose, but at least there is cheese present in your area....

Dirk
  • edited August 26

Would it be acceptable to have two enclosures per side, one stand mount for the wide ranger and one floor standing for the bass driver?

• I guess this is fine, but you'll have to do the gross volume calculations as if when "sitting together". This way the 2 conjoined walls of the pair have to be included within and come out of the gross volume.

Billet
  • edited August 26

Are the torture test tracks picked yet? Just wondering what we might be subjected to.
    Also, what dB level are these being played at?

• Does this filter look like it meets the rules/spirit of the theme? The padding resistor on the full range is yet TBD if needed or not.

The full range is a 3.5" driver and the woofer is a 5.25" driver.

• Eric- I don't make or announce the cuts, haven't entertained that at all yet.

Craig- Yes, that works.

6thplanet
  • edited August 27

When i read around I see folks stating "baffle step is first order slope so only a coil is needed". This seems to ignore the fact that the .5 driver is also being affected by baffle step. In my mind a 2nd order electrical would often be needed to turn the upward slope to a downward slope to balance out the other driver.

Though I suppose there are always exceptions like when a woofer response already has a downward slope.

tajanes
  • What about additional all-pass filter elements on the .5?

• Any impedance lower limit? My Crown will drive a light bulb.

Steve_LeePWRRYDDirk
  • My project sims show a minimum impedance of 3.9 ohms. Luckily the phase angle is almost zero there. No worries for any of my amps.

• XLS2000 is 2 ohm stable, remember that is likely minimum and not nominal. It would not likely tolerate a 1.5 ohm DCR. That said, it did not even care about the 2 ohm flat impedance from EQ's xover a few years ago.

6thplanet
  • I bet it would handle 1.5.

6thplanet
    I have a signature.
  • Okay, I could be wrong...