Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

3D-printed "DIY?" speaker kits

I can't judge, since I haven't heard them, but quite a bit can be inferred from the wealth of transparency. Lot of PE/Dayton parts. I have to wonder if the collective genius of the board has or could do better? The price point is pretty crazy.

https://www.depositionsound.com/product/fdm5-print-it-yourself-kit

CHEAPAUDIOMAN has reviewed one model.

Tagged:

Comments

• edited July 23

Hmmm? It clearly says "I'M LESS THAN $200" but the sell price in the link is $219.99? And that is just for the non-printable parts. After the cost of the printing filament for the enclosures what would be the actual total cost? Seems a bit deceiving. No idea how they might actually sound. I couldn't make it through the entire video. Are there any objective measurements presented?

• $20 HiVi woofer, $10 Dayton tweeter and maybe $20 in crossover parts = $50 each. What's the typical discount for commercial clients - 20%, maybe more?

PWRRYD
  • It looks to be in the same class as the Overnight sensation. Measurements look similar, FDM5 might have an edge depending on the measurement method. I don't believe they would be a "neutral" sounding speaker.

If they make money and the consumer has fun then good for them.

• I agree! If it pulls more people into DIY, I'm all for it. I could see my oldest son building a pair of these. He likes tech stuff and these might just give him an excuse to buy a 3D printer.

• There is something wrong with the X-axis of that frequency response graph. Not to mention the 10 dB dip in the response which is quite broad.

Analogkid455
  • Would anyone be interested in a 3d printed version of my Mac-04 design? All the parts should be available through JFCOMPONENTS.COM

hifisideTurn2
  • @kenrhodes said:
    Would anyone be interested in a 3d printed version of my Mac-04 design? All the parts should be available through JFCOMPONENTS.COM

I would be interested in a 4 inch design that anybody has don’t really care about 3-D printing though.

• @Tom_S said:
    $20 HiVi woofer, $10 Dayton tweeter and maybe $20 in crossover parts = $50 each. What's the typical discount for commercial clients - 20%, maybe more?

Apparently it doesn't take much to compete with commercial offerings.

I thought Ron printed some cabs that might be comparable with these. I was hoping he might chime in to give some cabinet cost perspective. I imagine though that as cabinet volume escalates the cost and practicality might get prohibitive, at least for the home hobbyist.

• I have a design with the MAC-04. I'll be bringing it to Iowa this fall to demo.

hifisideSteve_Lee
  • edited July 24

@kenrhodes said:
    Would anyone be interested in a 3d printed version of my Mac-04 design? All the parts should be available through JFCOMPONENTS.COM

I was thinking something along the lines of an improved SB Micro-C type of design, but that would be even better. Using the faceted cabinet would also be an attraction. The FDMGeo seems to have a bit flatter response, though not ideal. But if you're going from scratch that is under your control.

• he doesn't do objective measurements.

But this is the same as any speaker, put in some good parts, and build a decent XO - the difference is the box material.

There have been a few pretty good 3D printed tiny speakers at some of the get togethers. Some have used a epoxy or cement plaster to add mass to the 3D printed walls and of course hybrid ones with some 3-D printed parts.

• edited July 24

@hifiside said:

I would be interested in a 4 inch design that anybody has don’t really care about 3-D printing though.

Any design or just the MAC-04?

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @Turn2 said:

@Tom_S said:
    $20 HiVi woofer, $10 Dayton tweeter and maybe $20 in crossover parts = $50 each. What's the typical discount for commercial clients - 20%, maybe more?

Apparently it doesn't take much to compete with commercial offerings.

I thought Ron printed some cabs that might be comparable with these. I was hoping he might chime in to give some cabinet cost perspective. I imagine though that as cabinet volume escalates the cost and practicality might get prohibitive, at least for the home hobbyist.

I pulled up the files and the front panel used about $4 of plastic. The rear panel wasn't much more. The center section was wood. In my case the cost was higher because I made lots of prints to get the print quality I wanted. I've gotten a better handle on getting quality prints now so not so many wasted prints.

Ron

PWRRYDSteve_LeeTurn2Tom_S4thtry6thplanetkenrhodesAnalogkid455Gowa
  • edited August 7

Anyone have experience with any 3D print services? Asked couple coworkers that have 3d printer and seems theirs limited size capacity. Usually this design is done in 2 pieces and glued together, well plus a back portion. Suppose could be sliced into 4 pieces but want less opportunity f it up heh.

Already have the mid-tweet planar driver (I was inspired after hearing Nick's ESS Heil at Indy, cohesiveness 1k upward). Had tried as mini open baffle on top of the dual epic7 bass bin I have, used mini dsp since easy to shape response gently. But curious

https://josephcrowe.com/products/horn-no-1931-es-front-horn-for-grs-pt6825-planar-tweeter?_pos=1&_sid=5e817cc74&_ss=r

Turn2
  • I've been working on a 3D printed enclosure for Jeff's Quark design. It's proving to be a pain in the arse from a packaging point of view LOL:
    https://imgur.com/a/THgC01g

Ron_Ea4eaudioSteve_Leekenrhodes6thplanetTom_S