Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (5)

Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

A Neat Iota Alpha Inspired Speaker, the Zetas

I recently saw a thread on DIY Audio about the Neat Iota Alpha speakers. They are kind of a neat concept, and I thought they looked really cool. I am planning on building something that resembles them, but much bigger. I plan to use the HIVI RT1.3WE tweeter, the MAC-04 as a mid, and a down firing Dayton Audio SD270A-88 8" driver. I think I have a design where I can start sealed and go ported by drilling holes in a divider and adding a port. It looks like the lower rectancle is .7 cubic feet, which would give me a F3 of 55hz sealed, and if I opened it up to the top I would have 1 cubic foot tuned to 30hz for an F3 of 33 hz. The only reason I am thinking of going sealed, is that I am worried I may get a bit of a peak in the response due to basically slot loading the woofer in down firing position.

jr@macSilver1omohifisideSteve_Lee6thplanetAnalogkid455

Comments

• edited October 1

Here is the predicted low end response of the sealed and ported versions. Also, the speaker is 10x10"x33" tall. I hope to start cutting wood in the next couple of weeks.

• Depends on how much the cabinet is elevated off the floor, but since it would be open to all sides I doubt it would take much elevation to minimize any "loading". Always a hard decision between sealed and ported, but you can always stuff a port.

johnny5jzAnalogkid455
  • I got all of my wood cut and started assembling the first one tonight.

jr@machifisidetajanesSteve_Leeugly_woofer6thplanet4thtry
  • edited October 12

Got the 2 upper drivers routered today.

hifisideTom_SPWRRYDSteve_Leetajanes4thtry6thplanet
  • I got the cabinets assembled today. I need to sand them and then start taking measurements. Because of the size of these it was hard to get a port bigger than 2" in the way i wanted it. If it chuffs too much I will have to go to 3" with an elbow.

4thtry