Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Please Critique - My 1st 2-way Bookshelf Design

Looking for input/critique on my proposed 2-way bookshelf design.  Any input and/or help is greatly appreciated.  Comments on drivers, crossover design, enclosure design, calculations and assumptions shown, etc. would be AWESOME!  I'm planning on building the enclosures myself most likely with 3/4" thick plywood and internal reinforcement baffles.  I haven't nailed down the exact design of the enclosure yet and will obviously allow for displaced volume from baffles.  I just wanted to make sure the components, crossover and general design looked ok before finishing the enclosure design.  My target volume is 0.53 cu. ft. with 2" diameter port at 4.4" long as shown in the attached.

Comments

• I like 20L, a little more bottom.

............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Where are you located? Those drivers feserve some serious crossover work, and the HDS in particular is not very easy to work with. 
    I have a signature.
  • I am located in Southern California.
  • @kennyk - What software/Spreadsheet are you using for enclosure calculations?
  • The reviews on the HDS @ Parts Express indicated the following which is why I decided on 2nd order crossover -

"One of the few 6.5" woofers with a clear, extended midrange and no real cone break-up. Excellent bass - larger than normal cone area and long xmax. Easy to work with, a LR4 slope can be obtained with a simple 2nd or even 1st order xover. Very good efficiency for a long-throw midwoofer. Works well in the Dayton 0.5cuft cabinet with a 2" vent tuned to 45Hz."

"An Outstanding Woofer For This Price Range
    I was truly impressed with the performance of this woofer. As others have stated you are immersed in the sound field of this quality woofer. Nice detail and great bass, but not over powering. A 2300 to 2500 x-over point with a 2nd order on this woofer seems to work the best. I tried a 3rd order and it made it sound abit lean and bass somewhat subdued as well. I installed a 3 dB L-pad on the Vifa tweeter to compensate for the woofers lower sensitivity. Overall a pretty impressive 2 Way speaker system. A .5 ported cab is a good choice for this woofer"

Is this a bunch of BS?
  • Ok.  So what would your recommendations be for a first speaker build?  I'm looking for a good quality - hi fi - 2 way design.  I am capable of assembly, wiring, soldering, and very good at all aspects of wood working.  I don't mind spending the money to end up with a quality product in the end.  What driver(s) do you recommend in lieu of the HDS?
  • Im at work right now, I will post a longer response later. SoCal is full of guys who can measure - those drivers for you. 
    bmusich
    I have a signature.
  • ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • I also like to use Unibox.
  • Thanks.  I will look into Unibox.  I am a total NOOB but a mechanical engineer by trade so I am pretty technical and can grasp these concepts pretty easily.   Can anyone recommend a good comprehensive source for speaker design concepts and application?  It seems like I can find a lot of piecemeal info online but no real "step-by-step" processes or information.

• @jr@mac - I'm intrigued by your comment that there are many local guys that can measure those drivers for me.  If I don't already own those drivers how would they measure them for me?  If they are difficult to work with then why would I even want to bother with them?  I thought that the performance graphs on the parts-express website were the actual driver performance measurements, no?  Sorry for all the NOOB questions.
  • They are only difficult so far as that woofer is has some issues that typical baffle placement exacerbates. Take care if you elect to use a textbook style filter. Here is a measurement I took of that woofer in a typical cabinet, merged near and far field:

Using the values you provided in your writeup, you could expect the woofer to look something close to this:

That filter does a decent job as it turns out at contouring the breakup, but if you look below 1K, there will be a substantial drop off in output - this is the infamous "baffle step loss" you will hear discussed. Changing the inductor to something like a 2mH will compensate for most of that loss:

This is where that damn HDS starts becoming less attractive and something of a pain in the ass to use. That noise around 1K is very real and needs to be tackled independently of the rest of the crossover if you want to cross somewhat lower than the ~2.3k shown in the second graph.

What happens is a wide depression between 300 and 800 that will really make a lot of vocals and the meaty parts of music sound recessed an tepid. Unpleasant. The alternative is crossing higher and not using as much baffle step loss compensation, which leads to a lean bass output and probably some issues integrating the woofer and tweeter since A: the HDS has high distortion above 2K and B: it is a large diameter driver that operates ideally below 2K anyways. 

I have taken to using one or two notch filters on problem drivers like this, so this is what it can look like with a pair of notch filters and and a damped second order on the woofer:

Here is said schematic:

So long story short, reading online reviews of drivers at Parts Express should be taken with a couple huge grains of salt, preferably around the rim of a margarita glass. The HDS can sound fine, but it is not the silver bullet it is often claimed to be. It kicked my ass, and I like to think I know a thing or two about hammering drivers into submission. 

The RS28A on a typical cabinet:

Here is the RS28 with the network from your write-up:

(Take this with a couple more grains of salt as the measurements were taken apart a few years)

Here is approximately what you could expect to discover using your proposed network:

That is very much an approximation above, since these were measured at different times under different levels. With some work, you can build a killer two-way out of those drivers. 

Speaker design is very much an engineering discipline, so it does take some time and practical experience to become proficient at it. Don't use the values I show for your crossover, since the notches are pretty much baffle dependent, and they were meant for demonstration purposes. 

I do believe Hong is in SoCal, and he has proven to be a very helpful individual. Learning crossover design is hands-on and an afternoon and a six pack is a helluva way to learn it. 

Long story short: the drivers are fine, just not going to fall into a great sounding speaker with four components. It is worth taking the time to learn how to design a crossover, and we are always here to help if you get to a sticking point. DO NOT be discouraged by this post, rather approach it as a problem in need of a solution - which your engineering background has definitely equipped you to do. 

On the other hand, it is a deep rabbit hole that we DIY'ers tumble down if we are not careful!
    Bryan@MACkennykani_101Silver1omo4thtry
    I have a signature.
  • Well put JR.  Thanks for that explanation. 
  • @jr@mac I really appreciate the comprehensive response and want to learn as much as possible.  Your detailed information is greatly appreciated for sure.  After digesting all of this information, I guess I should rephrase my original question to the following:  Can anyone recommend a good sounding 2-way bookshelf design in the range of $150 to $200 each that has been tried and tested.  I know there are no shortcuts or free lunches in life but I would like to have an exceptional end result and not feel defeated at the end of my first build.  I am very capable of assembly and woodworking and would obviously like to learn a lot more along the way.  On the other hand, would a good start be to just buy one of the kits from Parts Express and move on?  I guess I'm looking for some no-nonsense direction and recommendations at this point to get my feet wet.  I know if I fail the first time I will be less likely to pursue the hobby further, so that is what I'm trying to avoid.  Thanks again!
  • @jr@mac ;

Also, how do I reach Hong?  Is he a member in this group?
  • This is the kind of stuff that gives me migraines.  Honestly I don't know how you do it JR, but you do.  Don't stop. 
    My signature goes here
  • bmusich said:
    @jr@mac I really appreciate the comprehensive response and want to learn as much as possible.  Your detailed information is greatly appreciated for sure.  After digesting all of this information, I guess I should rephrase my original question to the following:  Can anyone recommend a good sounding 2-way bookshelf design in the range of $150 to $200 each that has been tried and tested.  I know there are no shortcuts or free lunches in life but I would like to have an exceptional end result and not feel defeated at the end of my first build.  I am very capable of assembly and woodworking and would obviously like to learn a lot more along the way.  On the other hand, would a good start be to just buy one of the kits from Parts Express and move on?  I guess I'm looking for some no-nonsense direction and recommendations at this point to get my feet wet.  I know if I fail the first time I will be less likely to pursue the hobby further, so that is what I'm trying to avoid.  Thanks again!
    I do have a quasi kit I can sell at a good price. It uses the Dayton DSA-175 and the Dayton RS28A, comes with completed crossover and baffles that fit the Parts Express 0.38 cabinets. Easy to cut your own, however. It received some good comments at IowaDIY last October. 

It can be daunting entering the hobby, and I normally do not advocate kits for the sake of kits - since they are rarely documented well enough to provide useful information to someone who is considering learning design work. It is part of the problem with the hobby - new guys are told they do not know how to do design work, and are then flooded with a barrage of kits and established designs to choose from but are rarely given the background information on how the design ended up the way it did. My post above is a good example of the type of information often lacking in the more popular offerings. 

Feel free to PM me if you want more information on the design I have for sale or if you have any other questions/comments. We are here to make sure you succeed on your terms - and I would be willing to assist you in learning the ins and outs of this crazy hobby. 
    kennyk
    I have a signature.
  • Bryan@MAC said:
    This is the kind of stuff that gives me migraines.  Honestly I don't know how you do it JR, but you do.  Don't stop. 
    Turns out my BP-1 has produced some useful skills after all ;)
    I have a signature.