Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

MCM Clearancing has begun...

Comments

• Ahem - they are now at about $6.50 or so...
    I have a signature.
  • Which one?
  • The 5" KB
    I have a signature.
  • OMG, just changed my setup from the mean well smps + sure 4x100 and mini DSP to mini DSP + the stellar 4x40 amp from mcm. The mcm amp has a lot more power, remote volume control and definitely much tighter bass.... me definitely likey.....
    The white spidy speakers...

Nicholas_23kennyk
  • So it's worth the 44 bucks and change?
  • I would say so... the power supply + 4x100 at discount is also close to 40$, this gets you a nice package, and the power is matched it not greater and has all connectors, etc.... is worth it IMO

I spend twice on my setup from PE and it's all PCB and wores all over held in place by masking tape... this is nicer and sounds better
    Nicholas_23
  • So it can play 4 channel simulataneously? 
  • Yes, 4 different channels can be played simultaneously, with single volume control. You need to set the source switch to local. The global switch will send the active source to both outputs, local will send input 1 to zone 1 and imput 2 to zone 2. Each is a stereo left right, so 4 channel at once.

The only gripe is the blinding blue led.... Need to get a sharpie
  • Ani, when you have time can you take a pic of the connections on the back
  • The minidsp is simple, in1, in2 audio in. I have the red or right set to in1, left to in 2. In1 goes out to out1 woofer, out2 tweeter in2 goes to woofer out3 and tweeter out4.

Out1 goes to zone1 red, out2 goes to zone1 white. Zone1 out right goes to right side woofer, zone1 out left goes to right tweeter. 

Out3 goes to zone2 in red, out4 goes to zone2 in white. Zone2 out right goes to left woofer, zone2 out left goes to left tweeter.

Red rca is right channel and white rca is left channel. The speaker wire connectors are molex and not binding posts, which would have been better. In the snap you can see the thinner wires from the left out go to tweeter and the heavier wire from right is for woofer. 

I have the switch set to local, so it sends zone1 stereo  in to zone1 out and zone2 stereo in to zone2 stereo out

Another angle

• The last page of the manual gives a good indication of the connectors.

Oh, and there is a line out which will output the primary zone. This will scale with the master volume. So if you have a two way active sealed, and set the woofers on zone1 and tweeter on zone2. And set the zone1 as primary and add a couple of powered subs to the line out, you have a nice 2.2 system.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/content/ProductData/Manuals/50-16650.pdf
  • Perfect , thank you sir!
  • OK so I ordered one of these amps today (and I also cleared out most of their stock of clearanced wall treatments because I am coming to realize my speakers are good enough - my rooms are what needs the improvements). I hope the top and bottom end are accurate enough to serve as a measurement amp - Class D has issues, generally, with varying response based on reactance. 

That being said - fuck me, did I sweat the credit cards this last month or so. I mean, seriously - I am indebted to Visa for more than I care to admit due to these "low prices". I am reminded of that famous scene from "Office Space": "What am I going to do with 40 subscriptions to Vibe?" - only in this case it is like "What am I going to do with 50 drivers?"

OK, the good news is: I will not be buying drivers again for probably the rest of my DIY life. I have enough drivers to build a lot of pairs of nice 2-ways to gift to friends and family, and thanks to the clearance pricing from MCM and the affordability of Duratex - none of them are going to cost much. I just have to convince Mrs JR that this was all worth it. 

FYI: I probably bought the last of several items on Saturday night. Fucking Johnnie Walker Blue on the rocks will do that to a guy.
    kennyk
    I have a signature.
  • Dang , and they are out of those amps. Was going to order one when the eagle shits this Friday but.... Oh well 
  • Dang , and they are out of those amps. Was going to order one when the eagle shits this Friday but.... Oh well 
  • We'll see if one shows up here. Just because one was in my cart when I checked out doesn't mean it will be there during order fulfillment stage. If it shows, then I am going forward with my next-gen measurement setup. 
    I have a signature.
  • Could be on backorder and a 9999 day window.  :o
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • So is it safe to say pretty much all of the good stuff has been horded by JR and Chucky?  Nothing left for me to worry about buying ;)
    isaeagle4031jhollander
  • Now isn't that a relief??? No more itchy fingers....
  • PWRRYD said:
    So is it safe to say pretty much all of the good stuff has been horded by JR and Chucky?  Nothing left for me to worry about buying ;)
    I grabbed a few pieces but I think mcm will be sending JR a Xmas card!
    Nicholas_23
  • Sadly, of all of the items I shoved in my cart on the last order - only one of the three iPhone 6S glass screen protectors was in-stock when my order was fulfilled lol. 

Oh well.

On a bright note - my Tymphany DX25BG60-04 tweeters showed up today. I doubt the world should be crying in their oatmeal over the demise of the RS28. What a tank. Beautiful tweeter. 

Now I need juuuuust the right midwoofer to pair it with. I think maybe the SB 5" alum I was originally going to use one of my Viawave with would be the one. We'll see.

FYI - this is a cast alum faceplate tweeter that uses a traditional 104mm cutout. Eat it, RS28.
    D1PP1NTurn2kennykisaeagle4031
    I have a signature.
  • let us know how it compares to the rs28 Jr. 
  • jr@mac said:
    Sadly, of all of the items I shoved in my cart on the last order - only one of the three iPhone 6S glass screen protectors was in-stock when my order was fulfilled lol. 

Oh well.

On a bright note - my Tymphany DX25BG60-04 tweeters showed up today. I doubt the world should be crying in their oatmeal over the demise of the RS28. What a tank. Beautiful tweeter. 

Now I need juuuuust the right midwoofer to pair it with. I think maybe the SB 5" alum I was originally going to use one of my Viawave with would be the one. We'll see.

FYI - this is a cast alum faceplate tweeter that uses a traditional 104mm cutout. Eat it, RS28.
    I'm with you. There are a slew of tweets available at or below the rs28 cost that will work just fine as replacements. 
  • If this is the same tweeter ,PE had six left in stock as of Wednesday last week.
  • I like the sb26stac better and its 26 variants. Im Interested to hear the sb29s i bought from JR too. 
  • Picked up some of the AP6.5" 55-5615 and Gradient AXP 54-845.  One the first order they were $14.25 and $13.  Think it was a day later and the price dropped to $10.69/$9.75, ordered more.  I was hoping they would drop again before closing shop.  No dice.  Really wanted some of the 6" select too.         
  • Sigh... MCM redirected me to Newark website today. Here is there driver selection:

http://www.newark.com/c/security-audio-visual/audio-visual-equipment-accessories/loudspeakers

RIP MCM
    I have a signature.
  • Yeah, as of Oct 1 MCM=RIP <span>:-1:</span>
  • I hope Geoff pops in here and let's us all know how he's doing working for Stahl now.