Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

COAX build

Seems like there has been some interest in Coaxials as of late. Got to looking and and found a coax over at Madisound and then found a matching woofer to go with it . The woofer runs a little hotter than the little coax but curious what you guys thought.... The 8 ohm version is a little less sensative . 

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/coaxial/sb-acoustics-sb12pfc25-4-coax-4-coaxial-4-ohms/

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-8-woofers/sb-acoustics-sb20pfc30-4-8-paper-cone-woofer-4-ohms/

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-8-woofers/sb-acoustics-sb20pfc30-8-8-paper-cone-woofer-8-ohms/

SB Acoustics SB20PFC30-8 8 Paper Cone Woofer- 8 ohms
SB Acoustics SB12PFC25-4-COAX 4 Coaxial- 4 ohms
kennykgreywardenD1PP1NJasonP4thtry

Comments

• Nick, there is a coax comp for InDIY '18. ;)
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • I've wanted to use those since I saw them way before they were on the shelves. If my RF coax drivers sound like crap, I'll toss in a set of those or the Daytons, not sure which yet.
    deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)
  • Is there really a comp in Indy DIY Kenny. I has a set of unique coax here.
  • @Wolf runs the InDIYana event which usually takes place in early April in Fort Wayne. I’m not sure where the rules are posted for next year’s competition segment, but there is always a strict rule set if you wish to compete. 
    My signature goes here
  • ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • I believe I could reach those rules. Well I think....
  • Just for clarity:

No buyouts or NLA drivers, must be available and use regular retail price for total tabulation. PRs, waveguides should be included if purchased separately.

"Keeping up with the Jones's", as in Andrew Jones, is the theme this year. Coax (diameter isn't a factor, must be closed back box design) plus a woofer of 6.5" or larger, multiples are allowed as long as cost is not exceeded. $300 limit (not required to spend that much) for drivers per cab, with $200 max for the coax, and $150 max for the woofer; spend more on the coax, get a cheaper woofer kind of tradeoff. There are many good <$100 woofers out there. 2ft^3 or less, but stand-mount preferred if possible. Nanner-jacks (not doubles) used on site.

Sound fair, hifi?

• What are NLA drivers?
  • No Longer Available. Basically all of the fun discontinued drivers a lot of us have stashed for some future project.
  • lol. Thanks
  • Picked up a pair for testing. These are the SB20PFC30-4. Just a little DATS action...…..so far. ;) 

Cold out of the box.
    Gowa
  • Looks like you're moving at the same pace as me, Kenny. My boxes are only about half done, and the theme was for this past April. HAH!
    kennyk
  • Wolf said:
    Looks like you're moving at the same pace as me, Kenny. My boxes are only about half done, and the theme was for this past April. HAH!
    I didn't plan on using this for the coax build, I posted in this thread 'cause Nick mentioned it......hmm maybe I should have used it.  :p