Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Upcoming projects

Just going to mention a few projects I will be working on over the next few months.

First up is completing my latest Design Team project. Details cannot be released as of yet - but I expect it to be a design that outpunches its price class due to the midwoofer selection. This midwoofer's little brother has made the rounds in a few popular and/or very well received designs and while I have never been overly impressed with the alleged bass quality from either (and this model is no different in that regards) but the midrange, - oh my. 

Second is a design using the new Designer aluminum 6.5" + RS28A. I felt Dayton missed by a mile with the paper cone 6.5" Designer series, but the addition of a shorting ring and a much better cone will, I believe, address those shortcomings. I am very excited about this new series from Dayton. 

The above are both engineered to be used in the now defunct 0.38 PE cabinet in gloss black. 

Yesterday I had a chance to dissect a tweeter that showed up at my house, and what I discovered was enough to get me excited about using it in a project. It will be an all aluminum TM using drivers that both cost under $20. The midwoofer is the MCM 55-2669, a driver which I (and others) have found to be nearly unbelievable at the price point - and I think the guys who were at Iowa DIY when the famous Barbie Girl incident occurred will attest to their capabilities. The tweeter is a new model from MCM (a pair will be on the doorprize table, by the way) which has some serious build quality features - think a nearly perfect chamber design + copper pole piece cap. Give that some thought and ask yourself what $19 buys in a tweeter these days. The impedance sweep shows that a lot of thought went into the chamber design (are you listening Morel?) and the copper cap is not just for show as there is almost no rise in impedance above the (benign) impedance peak. The Fs is reasonably low at ~950Hz, too. 

(note: pay attention to the scale - it is 1db divisions - and why it is jaggy on the bottom end)

It appears the breakup occurs just over 20K - so am curious to see if any distortion propogates below there. If ya'll can promise to keep it to yourselves until later in the game, I will upload the dissection pictures for your perusal. 

Lastly, I am going to help a friend with a TM or two. Claus, if you are reading this I would like to help you with that Seas CA15RLY + Vifa NE25 we spoke about, and I would also like to help with a potential DSA115 + SB19 design. Let me know. Due to serious time constraints between work and family life, I am contracting the woodworking on my current designs. Needless to say (I'll say it anyways), making sawdust isn't in my time budget at the moment. 

Any interest in one or all or some of these making the trip to Iowa this fall?

I have a signature.
FaceJasonP

Comments

• the mystery speaker and the MCM ones. I don't think i heard the MCM woofer based speakers, if they are very high in value, then definitely like to hear them.
  • the mystery speaker and the MCM ones. I don't think i heard the MCM woofer based speakers, if they are very high in value, then definitely like to hear them.
  • jr@mac said:
    ...Second is a design using the new Designer aluminum 6.5" + RS28A. I felt Dayton missed by a mile with the paper cone 6.5" Designer series, but the addition of a shorting ring and a much better cone will, I believe, address those shortcomings. I am very excited about this new series from Dayton...

This at Grinnell. I'd love to see you nail this in a design that begs PE kit. While you are at it, a corresponding MTM design that kicks the series off with a bang.
  • I never thought of using the MCM 55-2669 until JR(on a dare) suggested it. Well, it was used in a MTM that I use daily. Thanks again JR.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Oh that frame, that F'n frame!  ;)
  • ani_101 said:
    the mystery speaker and the MCM ones. I don't think i heard the MCM woofer based speakers, if they are very high in value, then definitely like to hear them.
    I had 2 builds at InDIYana this year using that mcm woofer, an MTM with an sb26, and an MT with the Audible Physics Ram1 prototype. Sold both at the show. 
  • I think I got a pair of those McM woofers. Did you like them Chuck? I need a cheap tweeter to use with them. 
  • I bought 4 more of them. What's that tell you? LOL honestly pick about any tweet, cross up to about 3k and enjoy. On the cheap, I think that tweeter that Jr referred to has real potential.
  • Mike, don't limit yourself to a price point on a tweeter to go with that woofer. It mated very well with the RS28, for example. It is a remarkable driver.
    I have a signature.
  • Ok, I might grab another pair of them for an mtm I need a non 40 liter cabinet in my garage :)
  • I'll look around for some other tweeters to try Probably an sb acoustics or something. 
  • What's the mtm tweeter? The sb19 is also around 20$. I like that tweeter too.
  • MCM tweeter, auto correct on the phone is nuts...
  • ani_101 said:
    What's the mtm tweeter? The sb19 is also around 20$. I like that tweeter too.
    Mike I used the SB26stcn in the MTM. Worked really well.
  • I didn't know you used the SB26STCN small faced neo tweeter.  I really liked it in my Jonquils project.  I've been meaning to try its full sized brother the SB26STAC-C000.
  • PWRRYD said:
    I didn't know you used the SB26STCN small faced neo tweeter.  I really liked it in my Jonquils project.  I've been meaning to try its full sized brother the SB26STAC-C000.
    Yep and I used the sb26stac in the Armonicos. Fantastic piece that can really take a beating and still sound great.