Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Mr. Schmidt's - a Nick/JR collaboration

Nick will, I am sure, chime in with more information on his thought process putting the drivers together and his plans on finishing and how both aspects gave rise to the name.

Here is the unfinished cabinet:

Using this woofer:

And this tweeter:

Here are the in-box measurements (small cabinets are a pain):

Here are impedance profiles of both speakers overlaid (good consistency):

Here is the measured on-axis and reverse null:

Here are horizontals (I bet you can figure out why I left that broad "BBC Dip" in there):

Here is the crossover (note reverse polarity):

Picture of finished crossovers (I found black hot glue - yay me!):

Brief summary: the bass from the Eton is pretty legitimate, the tweeter has a very nice, sparkly sound - at first I thought it might prove to be fatiguing, but on certain test tracks I use for ssssssibilance torture they did just fine. Overall, they perform very well for a small bookshelf.

I have a signature.
kennykNicholas_23D1PP1N

Comments

• Which tweeter is that?
  • LPG I can't remember the model number. IIRC, they were used in some Totem models. I get the name, being a German theme here...
  • Not going to lie , wasnt sure if the xovers would fit in the box JR . Thanks for knocking out the crossovers for me. cant wait to give them a listen.
  • The name was a play on the Messerschmidt BF109 WWII fighter plane. The color scheme will be similar to the plane in the picture below.
    Related image
    D1PP1N
  • Minus the sawstika , but will have the iron cross
  • @JR - back to your roots indeed!
    Cheap, no name drivers beaten into submission for the sake of the music.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited March 2018
    Oh can't wait to see what you come up with!  I'm a bit partial to the Junkers JU 87 myself, but North American Aviation's P51 (all 8 versions) is my all time favorite.
  • Back in my car audio days I used to rock a set of JL XR components and I’m pretty sure the aluminum tweeter was sourced from LPG. I always really enjoyed that tweeter. Looks like it should make for a nice sounding combo.
    Nicholas_23
  • The name was a play on the Messerschmidt BF109 WWII fighter plane. The color scheme will be similar to the plane in the picture below.
    Related image
    Grandpa blew one out of the sky. Got the red star for it too.
    :)
    PWRRYDkennykJasonPaudioanarchist
  • PWRRYD said:
    Oh can't wait to see what you come up with!  I'm a bit partial to the Junkers JU 87 myself, but North American Aviation's P51 (all 8 versions) is my all time favorite.

Last year at MWAF we spent an extra day the Air Force Museum in Dayton.  Lot's of old and new aircraft, including several P51 variants. I was able to show my wife all the McDonnell Douglas aircraft and missiles I had been around and worked with (not the Stealth bomber however).
    PWRRYDkennykNicholas_23ThumperTomJasonP
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Don- I would not think these are cheap no-name drivers. That tweeter was about $50 in its day, and the woofer is of course more expensive than that.
  • edited March 2018
    The name was a play on the Messerschmidt BF109 WWII fighter plane. The color scheme will be similar to the plane in the picture below.
    Related image
    Grandpa blew one out of the sky. Got the red star for it too.
    :)
    Cool , was he an ace? or did he get it with his mosin ?
  • I think I posted this in a previous post awhile back , maybe I didnt . The baffles will be yellow , and I have a couple different shades of gray primer for the top back and sides. The iron cross decals will flank the left and right side of each speaker. Now , do I semi gloss everything or spay it all flat ?
  • P.S. Im not a nazi lover , just like all things WWII 
  • I think Don may have thought he was commenting on another thread.

Yeah, 20 years ago this would have been a pretty high end build. 
    I have a signature.
  • edited March 2018
    Cool , was he an ace? or did he get it with his mosin ?
    Hahaha. No.
    One of these.

He went through Winter War and Great War. Started a Sgt. and finished, Lieutenant.

We could have a friendly speaker shootout, :)
    Mr.Shturmovik?
  • I dont believe Ive seen such a machine , the barrels look like they could be cooled with a fluid of some sort? I wonder what those hoses at the end of the barrels run to ?
     " No ear plugs comarades , this is for the mother land" . Good lord ,could you imagine the racket ?
  • 5 rounds of 9 mm and my ears are done . More like 4 . Made that mistake once.
  • jr@mac said:
    I think Don may have thought he was commenting on another thread.

jr@mac said:
    I think Don may have thought he was commenting on another thread.

I think youre right Johnny , probably meant for your Jrock build
  • Drock build .... sigh

• I dont believe Ive seen such a machine , the barrels look like they could be cooled with a fluid of some sort? I wonder what those hoses at the end of the barrels run to ?
     " No ear plugs comarades , this is for the mother land" . Good lord ,could you imagine the racket ?
    4 of these
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PM_M1910

• Makes sense to me , "Some were fitted with a tractor radiator cap fitted on top of the water jacket to allow handfuls of snow to be packed in to melt while firing."
  • I've heard of soldiers pissing on their barrels during WWI to cool them off. Im sure it happened in other theaters as well.
  • Stopped by JR's place today and picked up the Mr.Schmidts . Needed a break from the guitar build so started on the speaker cabinets. I was curious what the decals would look like so I tapped one on . The size looks just about right I think for these cabs. Looking forward to hooking them up and listening to them. Thanks again JR for the xover work on these!
  • Which flavor of yellow though? Hmmm
  • Krylon Sun Yellow Gloss, please.
  • Let me test these two yellows first ,and see what they look like . I'm currently leaning towards a satin finish but that could change , will see how the "body work" goes