Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

For those interested, THE Vidsonix

Took this apart after discussing some measurement issues with JR tonight . Long story short , here's the guts of one of these guys .
jr@macPWRRYDJasonP4thtry

Comments

• I have one of those units, pretty handy 
  • They need to realign their inductors.   :p
    My signature goes here
  • What they really need to do is install caps thats measure what the labels say they are. I wasnt even going to mess with it any more after measuring about 12 caps , some of them were 10+ or more off the specd value.  :#
    PWRRYD
  • I didnt even attempt to measure the inductors after that.
  • Looks like a ginormous car stereo crossover!
  • Scott Sehlin bought a pair of those from DoubleTap (Ryan) back in 2010.  Now you know how he develops all his crossovers   :o
  • What they really need to do is install caps thats measure what the labels say they are. I wasnt even going to mess with it any more after measuring about 12 caps , some of them were 10+ or more off the specd value.  :#
    Yeah, NPEs are notorious for not measuring to spec. Can't say I'm surprised.  
    My signature goes here
  • which kind of sucks , since you would be ordering the those cap values for the real xover specified on the vidsonix faceplate board. Maybe doubletap got wise to this as well and thats why he sold the units. 
  • As long as you measure them all and know the real specs of all the parts (assuming its not so far off that you cant use them) I would think you could ball park yourself and order close to what you need?
  • I still find them quite useful.  Each circuit position has an option to insert one (or more) external components instead of using the internal components.  I do use the internal components when convenient, and it generally works well.  

My standard process is to measure drivers in box, simulate a crossover, lay it out using the Vidsonix box (with some combination of the internal components and my own), and listen/tweak.  Once I'm happy (or unhappy and stumped) I measure the result using the Vidsonix boxes before building the final crossovers.  So far, I haven't really run into a case in which the measurements using the boxes differed significantly from the final assembled measurements.  YMMV...
    Nicholas_23Bryan@MACJasonP
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • I think you should just donate it to me, Nicky.
    JasonP
  • 6thplanet said:
    I think you should just donate it to me, Nicky.
    Ill holler if I decide to get rid of it. 
  •  I wonder how much it would cost to re-cap one of these?  Probably would not be too bad if you have a large inventory of NPE's in your junk box to select from.  :)
    Nicholas_23