Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Any Interest?

Is there any interest in this 8'' Alu/Ceramic driver?

Revc= 6.400 Ohm

Fr=   34.000 Hz

Sd= 168.000 cm²

Vas=   66.320 L

Cms=    0.94 m M/N

Mms=   23.000 g

BL=   8.090 T·M

Qms=    6.430

Qes=    0.480

Qts=    0.447

Le=   0.133 mH

No=     0.53 %

SPLo=   89.00 dB

Xmax= 12 mm (P-P)
Continuous Power = 70w (IEC 268-5)

Best Answers

Answers

• I didn't get the fr yet and I don't know how many will be available to me. I should know more next week. Specs look interesting.
  • wow - those guys really know how to design drivers.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • That's an impressively benign breakup for an aluminum cone! My rule of thumb with metal cones is to take the breakup node and divide by 3, so here we have about 3750Hz breakup, making for a high frequency limit of 1250Hz, however since the breakup is so minor its very possible that there is not enough 3rd order distortion at 1250Hz to worry about. In any case, I can see these going to great use in a 3-way with a small midrange, maybe even a dome mid. 2-way potential as well with a waveguide and a "robust" tweeter.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  •  Yes, the will is weak. 
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • What is the cost going to be?
  • They would be under the 100 buck mark.
  • I'll be meeting next week. What price point would be the happy spot for those woofs?
  • UNDER $100!! That's awesome....
  • Would these be regularly stocked or a special buy?
  • As low under 100$, try to stretch to closer or under 80. The shipping to US is not a bonus....
    PWRRYD
  • I'd be happy at $200/pr give or take, shipped. We are talking about a pretty damn nice driver here, asking Dayton pricing for Scan quality is not fair. 
    PWRRYDJasonP
    I have a signature.
  • ani_101 said:
    As low under 100$, try to stretch to closer or under 80. The shipping to US is not a bonus....

They would be a special buy. The MOQ is too high for RAD to absorb, so I’m trying to negotiate with a local manufacturer, who will go unnamed. It is certainly bending the rules a bit, but we’ll see what happens. I’ll know more by early next week.

As for the comment on shipping, it’s just a reality we all have to deal with. I could be wrong, but I think our rates are reasonable. However, I’m in communication with our rep to get them lower and it is looking positive.

RAD recently had two sales with reduced prices and free shipping to help DIY’ers gear up for the building season. I will give Sean permission to bring that back for another week. Please keep in mind that, although it is little, RAD has to make some profit to keep everything going forward.

PWRRYDD1PP1Njhollanderkonfyousedkennyk4thtry
  • Damn, just ordered the 7".
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • kennyk said:
    Damn, just ordered the 7".kennyk said:
    Damn, just ordered the 7".

Just order a pair of the 8"s too...  you know you won't be able to resist   B)
    kennyk
  • it's not you, just in general the shipping from canada is a buzz kill, given the excellent pricing and sales. It's not as if the distance suddenly doubles or something....
  • I agree, shipping costs suck. But, good news, Sean informed me that the shipping rates have just been lowered quite a bit for shipments to USA. I didn't know this happened and Sean was a little slow with implementation. Now to beat up the rep for Canadian shipments, that's next. :)

rjj45kennyk
  • Whoops! My mistake, both Canadian and USA rates have been severely reduced and updated. 
    kennykD1PP1N
  • I didn't share the initial enthusiasm for this driver, but I compared it to the SB23 ceramic.
    This is so much a better driver!
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • yes, this looks like a very smooth driver FR wise - hopefully, it also sound good. With the price and shipping getting in line, the only advantage the SB23 ceramic would have is availability and that is a very big advantage.
  • edited May 2018
    Did anyone bother to model the parameters for box options? It looks like it would work ok in a large sealed box, F3 of 4? in a way too large 60 liter box, but I bet power handling would be a joke. Qts a bit high for vented, but almost ideal for TL/MLTL. I'll poke around in King's MathCAD sheets and see what it thinks.
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • good, call, didn't try box modelling. small and low is usually preferred
  • I thought it modelled fairly well, about the same as my old Peerless HDS 8" (830884). In a big 60L tower it will perform great, enough output for most household music needs and enough bass that you won't really miss your subwoofer.
    ani_101
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • You guys complain about shipping to the US. 
    Try any build with everything shipped internationally :tongue:
  • dcibel said:
    I thought it modelled fairly well, about the same as my old Peerless HDS 8" (830884). In a big 60L tower it will perform great, enough output for most household music needs and enough bass that you won't really miss your subwoofer.
    It models very good in a 60L box.