Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Any Interest?

2»

Answers

• Looks very good to me in an EBS alignment - 
    Vb 30L
    Fb 30 Hz
    40 Watts
    F3 = 53
    F6 = 39
    Port ID = 2.5 inches
    Produces 104 dB pass band with acceptable port speed without exceeeding Xmax (6mm +15%)

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited May 2018

Simple floor-standing ML-TL where all of the cabinet volume is available for the woofer, as if it would be a 2-way with a tweeter and one woofer. 

Approximately 2 ft³

Port: 3’’D x 8’’L

System tuning frequency is a hair below 30 Hz

f3: 31 Hz, f6: 27 Hz and f10: 22 Hz 

rjj45kennyk4thtry
  • edited May 2018
    Gowa said:
    dcibel said:
    I thought it modelled fairly well, about the same as my old Peerless HDS 8" (830884). In a big 60L tower it will perform great, enough output for most household music needs and enough bass that you won't really miss your subwoofer.
    It models very good in a 60L box.
    Yep, and my comments are from experience with the 830884, not just modelling. In 60L this driver models nearly identically, and the cabinet for me was a good size for a 8" tower that brings the tweeter up to face height at about 44" tall, or if you want to be lazy just use the entire 48" of MDF and save a few cuts ;)
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I liked what I heard from the 830884 in Curt's Mavericks. Shame it's NLA....

• No sign of these on the RAD website. Did they come and go already? I'd be interested in a pair.
  • We brought some in but they were all taken. I didn't think they would be that popular or I would've got more. 16 sold in less than a day. I don't get it. :o I'm working on getting a few more. I just don't know how many I can snag.
    konfyoused
  • edited May 2018
    PaulEbert said:
    No sign of these on the RAD website. Did they come and go already? I'd be interested in a pair.
    You have mail.
    RAD also has a 'Contact Us' button.
  • I'm interested if you can snag more.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • rjj I sent you an email and Paul I sent you a PM.
  • Any hope for me to land a pair?
    I have a signature.
  • Thanks
  • edited May 2018
    Using ~1 ohm of series resistance to simulate a largish coil such as may be found in a 3-way, these will do 55/43/33 F3/6/10 in 30L with moderate stuffing (I used a value of 20 in Jeff's WBCD). QTC is ~0.75. 6mm of excursion is good for 25W, which is over 100db without taking baffle step losses into consideration, so figure on 96 db or so including those losses.

Going to a sealed 60L enclosure gets to 50/38/29 F3/6/10 with a subsequent decline in power handling. That is a fairly large enclosure for a single 8" driver, however (IMNSHO). 

These should make for a very nice, small form factor 3-way - or even a 2-way with a robust tweeter such as the new DX25BG60 or any number of other recent entries into the market. 

My guess is with the 30L sealed option, most listeners will not really be disappointed by the lack of a near-infrasonic F3. 

That being said, a small and tuned low vented - 30L tuned to ~25Hz will yield a somewhat lower rolloff of 50/40/30 with some power handling below 20Hz compromised, but then you are dealing with a significant amount of port to stuff in a 30L box. Probably a few passives that will yield this alignment.

Raising the Qts via some series resistance turns this into a classic high compliance, true acoustic suspension woofer - and that is ultra-rare these days. Not sure when driver designers decided a Qts of 0.25 and ultra-stiff soft parts became the pinnacle of "woofer" design, but this 8" driver is a closer fit to what I personally consider ideal. 

rjj45
    I have a signature.
  • OK, so I ordered a pair since I believe this to be a way better option for a planned compact 8" 3-way than any of the Dayton offerings under $100. Dayton RS28F/RS52F/Rival 223. Sealed simplifies construction, bass extension is similar to the vented DSA225 I originally settled on, and the build quality of the Rival is fucking light years ahead of the flimsy DSA in pretty much every aspect. Win-win.
    I have a signature.
  • Thanks Johnny -I've been itching to do a sealed build, and this might be it. Let us know how you like the new RS52F - the price is certainly reasonable.
  • I, very reluctantly, had to let these slip by having gone way over budget on my vacation (in NYC, so probably to be expected). I may go with the R176 version if it's still available once finances recover.  I, too, will be very interested in impressions of the RS52F.
  • My post should be here.  :o
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • I saw it, Kenny, before it disappeared.
  • One pair of the R223 left.
  • Hmmmmmmm......2+2 make.........FOUR!
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • I had a little time yesterday before family came over and decided to take a quick shot of the R223. mic at about 10'' from dust cap and the driver was NOT flush mounted. The board is open back 24''x 24''x 3/4''. I just used my Onkyo amp for the source. 

I'm not good at this so don't take it as gospel.
    Sean
    rjj45
  • Wowzer that HD is impressive!
    Too bad that we won't be able to get any more of the Rival drivers

• Ya, those 8'' look pretty good. I'm glad I grabbed a pair for myself. There's only one pair left now. Leon is actively seeking someone to take over RAD. I think he has a couple of leads. I find out next week.
  • edited June 2018
    I just had some 7'' black Kevlar samples dropped off. Pretty nice looking. These ones have a black aluminum cap too. I ran a quickie to have a look. Not bad. The 2nd comes up at about 700 Hz.-1100 Hz. Might warm things up there. Otherwise pretty typical it seems. This was flush mounted on a 24''x 24'' board open back.

Revc= 6.340 Ohm

Fr=   36.000 Hz

Sd= 132.000 cm²

Vas=   31.000 L

Cms=    1.190m M/N

Mms=   16.772 g

BL=    8.030 T·M

Qms=    6.185

Qes=    0.370

Qts=    0.350

Le=   0.131 mH

No=     0.37 %

SPLo=   87.50 dB

Xmax= 12 mm (P-P)
    Continuous Power = 75w (IEC 268-5)

• What model is this?  R176-K-08 black?
  • This one is  R176-KB-08. 
  • Very close to the -K-08 I have. Mine are natural aluminum on black Kevlar, and it even has the HD bump at about 800Hz. Main differences being the Le is half of the KB, Vas is about 5 ltrs smaller, and sensitivity is about a half to 1 dB higher.