Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

InDIYana 2018: In a Nutshell (+pics)

2»

Comments

• edited May 2018
    PWRRYD said:
    I think the non-diy speakers that the Parts Express guys brought were pretty blah at best.  I could easily hear the sound shifting from one driver to the next.  3.5 kHz xo point for the RST28F?  Probably part of the problem.  I don't think it was any driver issues.  I don't think it was the DSP unit or the amp.  Just not good use of the good parts on hand.  They did say they only had about a week total to build the enclosures and play with the active crossover.  You would think that a company like PE, bringing out new drivers like the RST tweeters and the new soft dome version of the RS52 would have spent a fair more amount of time perfecting such a project before show casing it at a major DIY event.  JMHO.

How much of this do you think was the DSP?  I picked up a pair of the new 2" fabric dome as my door prize and ordered a pair of the new fabric dome tweeters today.  Plan on a passive xover in the 2KHz or so range.  Lower xover will be in the 800 to 1k range.  Have not decided on what woofer to use yet.   
  • JasonP said:

httpsjupiteraudioworkscomeventindy18nicks20pvc20sharp20edge20cautionjpg

Nick's in-progress build. I can't recall if he actually mentioned the drivers, but looks like a Tymphany XT (or Scan) and a Dynavox woofer? All the large voicecoil woofers look alike to me... Like pretty much all the speakers there, sounded real good.
    These speakers are going to look really cool when done.   Hope he brings them to MWAF in July

• 4thtry said:i
    JasonP said:

httpsjupiteraudioworkscomeventindy18nicks20pvc20sharp20edge20cautionjpg

Nick's in-progress build. I can't recall if he actually mentioned the drivers, but looks like a Tymphany XT (or Scan) and a Dynavox woofer? All the large voicecoil woofers look alike to me... Like pretty much all the speakers there, sounded real good.
    These speakers are going to look really cool when done.   Hope he brings them to MWAF in July

Yeah what a cool concept.  I kept looking at them wondering how Nick was able to make some of the cuts.  Really thinking outside the box.
  • XT19 and Dynavox LW5004. How do I know? The XT19 only has 4 mounting holes and the 25 has 5.

He said he had to make jigs to keep the cab stable, and cut the large angles on the table saw.

• Wow those cuts are impressive.
  • Yeah, can't imagine that on a table saw.  Way cool, wish I'd heard them.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • That was sweet looking. He always does unique stuff. 
  • Mike, where did you get some of those drivers :-p
    I have a signature.
  • Can anyone tell me which SB tweeter is being used in the javad/bagby SB build?
  • Can anyone tell me which SB tweeter is being used in the javad/bagby SB build?
    New sb29 ceramic. Not availale quite yet 
  • Thanks Chuck , I was wondering
  • jr@mac said:
    Mike, where did you get some of those drivers :-p
    You help me fund 2 full builds so far :) and Jason with the rs28a's
  • D1PP1N said:
    That was sweet looking. He always does unique stuff. 
    Yeah, I wish I had just half the skill Nick has for finish work. 
    4thtry
  • These all look so good - great job by everyone! I wish I could have been there to hear them.

I'll also echo others' gratitude for Jeff's contributions to this hobby/obsession. I can't imagine how many people have used Jeff's software over the years. His generosity is truly inspiring. 
  • JasonP said:
    And finally, to put the most chief part of the event last, here we have a very surprised Jeff Bagby accepting a lifetime achievement award for contributions to the DIY speaker community (photo by Javad):

httpsjupiteraudioworkscomeventindy18javad20pic20bagby20lifetime20contribution20awardjpg

Here's the video portion I captured with my phone......
    konfyousedkennykJasonP4thtryGowa
    My signature goes here
  • Pretty cool. 
    I have a signature.
  • Jason, thanks for the kind words on my MTM's (the Rival/Wavecor ones) It was my first build. Chuck gave me the crossover design (he threw it together almost as soon as I gave him my files) I've gotten a lot of feedback on them, both good and constructive. Made me feel good to see them so well recieved!
    4thtry
  • NavyGuy said:
    D1PP1N said:
    That was sweet looking. He always does unique stuff. 
    Yeah, I wish I had just half the skill Nick has for finish work. 

+1  I talked to Nick about how he gets that professional auto body type finish.  He said that he buffs this out, probably in several stages with very fine grits and polishing compound.  I am going to experiment with this polishing and buffing technique on my Matrix build to see if I can do something like this too.  I watched about 10 youtube polishing and buffing type videos and it seems like a straight forward process.  The key is to let your finish set up for at least a month or two before you polish, otherwise you will make a mess.