Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Interesting New Tymphany Drivers

Comments

• Wolf said:nu

To state more clearly, a neo tweeter will have lower HD than the equivalent ferrite jobby. This is because the neo magnet's inherent usage, shape, and application lend to an inherent 'shorting ring' in the motor structure due to how the neo motors work.

I believe the CSS P215 kit xovers at 1.6k, IIRC, but it also might be 1.8k. It's one of the 2.

The TW022 really is best above 2.5kHz, IMO/IME.

The Criton 1TD uses the LD22 crossed at 1.6kHz and system distortion remains extremely low in this configuration, even at high output levels.  In the P215, the LD22 is crossed at 2.1kHz.  In this application, it's not even breaking a sweat.

Dan
    JasonP
  • Seems to me that the DA25 and the SB17CAC would make for an exceptionally high value 2-way, especially given that the crossover might be able to be very low parts count. I'm really looking forward to seeing distortion measurements.
  • Nothing against TL, but I just find it amusing when people drop Eugene's name as if he invented hi end tweeters. Frankly, I don't see much about that new tweeter that reminds me of TL. 

I have a signature.
  • The tweeter used in Cabrini Redux was just fine, the other GRS dome is garbage. 
    I have a signature.
  •  JasonP said:

Thanks for the info, Jason.  :3   I put a pair of these on my MWAF shopping list for July.
  • Has anyone taken distortion measurements on the Peerless DA25TX00-08 (Corundum) tweeter yet?  Thinking about using it in the InDIYana 2019 theme challenge, but I was hoping one of you guys had thrown it on a test bench.
  • I bought the 32mm, and haven't even finished the Tandems yet.
  • I have the 25s for Indy also.  I dats them and they matched factory as I recall,  but nothing beyond that.  Cutting wood today.  I will try some quasi low order slopes with them. 
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I haven't jumped on these yet, simply because I have so many drivers around the home now I'm selling them dirt cheap at events. I really do want to see some tests and hear them, so hopefully at an event this year? I was kind of surprised no designs showed with them at Iowa 2018.
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • I'm enjoying a relaxed build process so I was in no hurry
    rjj45
  • Pulled the trigger and got them today.  They are pretty impressive.  Big magnet, crazy heatsink, dome and surround look good quality and even the grill isn't bad.  But what's up with the flimsy faceplate?  Even the packaging was high quality, so I don't get why they opted for a 1.5mm thick sheet metal faceplate, especially when it is 122mm in diameter and only 4 mounting holes.  So far it looks like a lot of tweeter for the money, but I'd gladly have paid another 5 bones for sturdier and better looking structure.

I'll try to take some distortion measurements this week/end.

Dan
    rjj45
  • So I got a chance to take some distortion measurements today of the 25mm corundum tweet.  Not disappointing at all for a 25mm, $54 tweeter.  These were taken at 5", so drop the level about 18dB to compare to 1m measurements.  No baffle for these measurements, just propped up about 6" off of a carpeted floor, firing upwards towards the mic, so FR is useless in these plots.  

Looks like the larger domed Usher has the advantage between 1kHz and 3kHz, but above 3kHz, it looks the DA25TX has the advantage.  2nd order is still higher as would be expected from a smaller dome, but the higher order stuff is almost non-existent above 3kHz.  Looks promising and with that giant heatsink, should be able to get after the volume knob without too much change in performance.

One thing of note during this test - the signal was unfiltered as I always do when measuring domes, and the DA25TX dome was moving A LOT.  I'm not sure if it has a larger chamber or less restrictive suspension or what, but I've never seen a dome tweeter move this much - not even the LD22, which would need to in order to hit similar SPLs.  Not only did it sustain no damage from this excursion, but it didn't even sound distressed while doing so.  

Peerless DA25TX00-08 Corundum Tweeter

And the Usher 9950-15, a known distortion champ, for reference.

PWRRYDJasonP
  • DanP said:
    ...No baffle for these measurements, just propped up about 6" off of a carpeted floor, firing upwards towards the mic, so FR is useless in these plots.  

I wouldn't say that FR is useless. The harmonic information in Omnimic isn't shown relative to the fundamental, so the frequency response is important information to understand the plot. In any case, the DA25 is a great performer, I am actually more excited for the DA32 though, a lot larger dome and still manages a resonance > 20kHz. I know of a few 25mm domes that can't do that.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I'll post the HD on the 32 when I take it in the future.

• Me too on the 32.  It'll be a while before I get the baffles completed though.
  • You have a pair too? For what with?
  • MTM's with R176-CP-08.
  • They are going in my repurposed curve-sided towers I built for the Agendas project.
  • dcibel said:
    DanP said:
    ...No baffle for these measurements, just propped up about 6" off of a carpeted floor, firing upwards towards the mic, so FR is useless in these plots.  

I wouldn't say that FR is useless. The harmonic information in Omnimic isn't shown relative to the fundamental, so the frequency response is important information to understand the plot. In any case, the DA25 is a great performer, I am actually more excited for the DA32 though, a lot larger dome and still manages a resonance > 20kHz. I know of a few 25mm domes that can't do that.
    Yes, you're right - I meant for modeling.  I am more excited about the DA32 as well, but the 32 was over budget for Wolf's 2019 theme challenge, which I will enter this year come hell or high water.  Been too busy these last few years to build anything, but no more excuses.  Looking forward to some distortion measurements on the DA32 from you guys.
  • So what about 3d printing a decent faceplate?  There are a few of use who could use something a bit more beefy. I'm already planning to paint my faceplate and woofer frame.
  • I'm already planning to paint my faceplate and woofer frame.
    Purple with glitter?  Just kidding John :)
    jr@macS7910ThumperTomrjj45
  • Yes there is glitter= metallic= metal flake= George Barris, king of kustom.  Not purple however.
    jr@maccssaudio1ThumperTomkennyk
  • Spent the last few nights listening to the Peerless DA25TX00-08 (Corundum) and I really like this tweeter.  The cheap face plate aside, I think this meets my need for a detailed resolving tweeter without being harsh.

The off axis performance (no x-o) was the best I've measured.  The graphs are 0 to 65 degrees off axis on a asymmetric baffle with sharp edges at 1 meter.

GowaWolfrjj45PWRRYDD1PP1NThumperTomkennykDanPNicholas_23Bryan@MACand 1 other.
  • Yeah I was really surprised how thin the aluminum face plates are on my DA32.
  • According to the spec sheet they are steel faceplates.
  • You may want to rethink removing the faceplates.  The dome is glued to the subplate and the glue squeeze out sticks to the face plate.  As you pry the faceplate from the sub plate the edge of the dome fabric can also lift off of the subplate. There are a few sections of the dome I had to glue back on.

My faceplate were scratched dented so I felt I had no choice.  The faceplates are steel.

GowaWolfNicholas_23JasonP
  • The one thing that pissed me off about them was this issue.
  • Put everything back together.  Impedance sweep is identical.  I think I got lucky.

PWRRYDGowakennykJasonP