Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Big Move

In a few days my house will be for sale and I will be moving two provinces over to the beautiful Okanagan. I have collected a few drivers and completed projects that now have to be shipped in a sea can without getting damaged. Ugh.

For the loose drivers I am using my mounting hardware to provide a shim so the cone surround doesn't get damaged. I can now lay them flat or put a sheet of carboard overtop. Just wondering if anyone had any other good ideas for shipping a fair qty of loose drivers and completed projects where the driver cones protrude from the speaker without a grill, what have you done to protect them for transport?

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.

Comments

• Golf tees can work for some drivers. It has always puzzled me that PE et al do not sell those plastic doohickeys. 
    I have a signature.
  • Just thinking out loud, depending on the size of the drivers, you might be able to use a wine case with the subdividers meant for bottles to house the drivers on edge, by removing appropriate pieces of the cardboard. 
  • If you driver pairs, you can cut small blocks in 1/2 inch wood or use 1/2 inch long pieces of 3/4 inch PVC.  Put the drivers face to face with the piece between them and use tie wraps to secure the bundle.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited May 2018
    I recently left Bryan ( @Bryan@MAC ) several woofers to ship me, and he sent them in a rather clever way. They were placed face to face, separated with standoffs, and a nut and blot through the standoffs to hold them together. This protected their cone and surround side, leaving only the rear exposed. Pretty nifty.
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • I had considered doing the same just with some long machine screws and stacking several nuts to act as standoffs. I think I have the loose drivers sorted out anyway, thanks for the tips.

Do you have any advice for completed speakers with protruding driver surrounds? I have 3 sets, my current plan is to just remove the drivers from the cabinets and pack them seperately, but that takes up additional precious cargo space. I'm running short on time to get packed so I don't want to spend much time constructing anything special.

Thanks!
  • My speakers have grills and I added cardboard corners to all corners. Got them at a packing material store. The movers added blankets and they have survived 2 moves  
  • I think what I've come up with is to use some closed cell foam as a spacer, then wrap in bubble wrap. We have a ridiculous amount of bubble wrap so I think I should be good to go. The "for sale" sign for my house goes on the lawn tomorrow moring, wish me luck :)
  • Welcome to BC @dcibel ! The grass is greener on the other side B)
  • Thanks! An opportunity came up that I would have regretted the rest of my life if I turned it down, so we are making the plunge. The unfortunate part is that the housing market where I live now is quite poor, so we've scrambled together a basement renovation in the past month and have made our house as attractive as possible to get it sold quick and for top dollar hopefully.

I'll be working for a company that services the entire Okanagan area, so I'm definitely looking forward to the nice weather and windy mountain roads. For the next couple weeks I'll literally just be travelling around meeting the clients before I get shipped off to the US for training.
    Silver1omo
  • When I lived in Alberta we would head out to the Shuswap every fall. I love the Okanagan.
  • Fantastic ! wish you the best of luck in the new territory . Out of curiosity , what line of business are you in ? 
  • Threw a couple resumes up north in Alaska but no bites yet 
  • dcibel said:
    Thanks! An opportunity came up that I would have regretted the rest of my life if I turned it down, so we are making the plunge. The unfortunate part is that the housing market where I live now is quite poor, so we've scrambled together a basement renovation in the past month and have made our house as attractive as possible to get it sold quick and for top dollar hopefully.

I'll be working for a company that services the entire Okanagan area, so I'm definitely looking forward to the nice weather and windy mountain roads. For the next couple weeks I'll literally just be travelling around meeting the clients before I get shipped off to the US for training.
    The housing market here is tough. Thankfully the OK market hasn't quite caught up with Vancouver prices yet. We live in Squamish - just north of Vancouver and our prices have shot up quite a bit in the last few years because of the prices in Vancouver and people moving here for the outdoor lifestyle.
  • Just out of curiosity , what does a 2 bed 2 bath house run up there?
  • Best of luck on your move.  Looks like you are making a very good decision.
  • edited May 2018
    Just out of curiosity , what does a 2 bed 2 bath house run up there?
    A newer 2br townhouse will start around $650,000 and the least expensive single family home will set you back about $850,000. Not cheap, but it really is an amazing place to live.
  • Jeebus thats some cheddar ! US conversion is $660,000 if my decimal points were right  :#
  • Costs money to live in the most beautiful lands ;) I'm shopping in the $400k range in northern Okanagan.
  • SE SoDak is strikingly beautiful, and is not expensive. We are also low crime, low unemployment, and a large enough metro area to warrant most, if not all (and then some) of the things people want in order to be willing to pay 5x what a house is worth. 

If the unusual and rare beauty of the couteau des prairie isn't enough - western SoDak will compete tree for tree with anything on the Pacific coast - and still cost way less. 

TL;DR I learned people agree upwards of 3/4 million dollars is worth seeing a tree from their driveway. 
    I have a signature.
  • " TL;DR I learned people agree upwards of 3/4 million dollars is worth seeing a tree from their driveway. "

Funk that , Im good ! Luckily there is plenty of out door activities near by that I can drive or bike to . 
  • edited May 2018
    SoDak = South Dakota? Yeah, I'm from the prairies, born and raised. I'll happily pay the price premium to have this view at the end of my driveway. Btw, I'm just staying with some family now until we find a new house, this photo is literally from the end of the drive way, I took it 5 minutes ago.

ThumperTom4thtrysquamishdroc
  • Heh, any number of views from SE SoDak and western SoDak. Don't confuse Saskatchewan with this part of the Great Plains ;-)
    dcibel
    I have a signature.
  • Seriously, though, it is a typical misunderstanding of the Dakotas that we are flat and empty like the middle provinces or states like Nebraska or Kansas. 
    I have a signature.
  • Mount Rushmore is in SoDak, so it's really not plains area- agreed!
  • edited May 2018
    Our evening dinner view - red arrow is where our house is.
    dcibeljhollander4thtry
  • "A bunch of gourmet dinner rocks." - Rock Biter.
  • Man that looks exactly like Illinois!  Not!
  • To be fair, Rushmore is 350 miles from here.

Here is a shot of what my area of the state looks like:

This is inSoDak:

squamishdroc4thtry
    I have a signature.
  • edited May 2018
    Those are image search results , I have tons of pictures similar that I have taken. We have trees and hills and everything. In most cases, we have chosen not to establish residential areas in these places - effectively nuking the NIMBY problem plaguing most quasi-rural areas. We just drive fifteen miles and enjoy these things sans houses and gas stations.
    I have a signature.