Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (10)

Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Eminence Alpha 3-16 3" door prize project

I have 4 of these from a past DIY event. I'm tempted to make a pass at a "small but loud" project with them.
I'm not really interested in going full line array. I'm thinking of picking up another pair to try 3 (16 ohm) in parallel. If this is feasible, I may go 1.5(?) or may even try one open baffle. I guess what I would like to know, since the collective knowledge here vastly exceeds mine, is where could this go wrong? This is obviously a low investment project, but I'd like to keep the cats pointed in the same direction from the get go if I can. Thoughts?

Comments

• Would you use something to fill in the low end or just run them as is?
  • I believe a sub will be needed. I have a W5-1138SMF available to make a playmate.

I envision something not unlike the NOLA clones with the TC9's. They are quite passable for normal TV viewing without a sub. For music or more volume/satisfaction you'd better have a sub.

• I got 4 of the Alpha 3-8 ohm and think a little MTM would be cool.  I do have the APT30, but I'm not expecting this to be a great combination.  Maybe something all recessed with the ND25 w/o the face plate.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Turn2 said:
    I believe a sub will be needed. I have a W5-1138SMF available to make a playmate.

I envision something not unlike the NOLA clones with the TC9's. They are quite passable for normal TV viewing without a sub. For music or more volume/satisfaction you'd better have a sub.

I figured as much , so a 2.1?
  • Latest thoughts are leaning toward 2 of the EAs in parallel over a 4" Peerless or the TPC115-4. It could still be a modest size for a 3-driver speaker and I could settle for the output with out a sub.

• Turn2 said:
    Latest thoughts are leaning toward 2 of the EAs in parallel over a 4" Peerless or the TPC115-4. It could still be a modest size for a 3-driver speaker and I could settle for the output with out a sub.

Why not put them in parallel over the TB instead?
  • I could, but I'd need one more and they are out of stock for 6 weeks. Secondary reasons would be requiring a bigger box and 82 dB sensitivity. The idea has been planted though.