Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Eminence Alpha 3-16 3" door prize project

I have 4 of these from a past DIY event. I'm tempted to make a pass at a "small but loud" project with them.
I'm not really interested in going full line array. I'm thinking of picking up another pair to try 3 (16 ohm) in parallel. If this is feasible, I may go 1.5(?) or may even try one open baffle. I guess what I would like to know, since the collective knowledge here vastly exceeds mine, is where could this go wrong? This is obviously a low investment project, but I'd like to keep the cats pointed in the same direction from the get go if I can. Thoughts?

Comments

• Would you use something to fill in the low end or just run them as is?
  • I believe a sub will be needed. I have a W5-1138SMF available to make a playmate.

I envision something not unlike the NOLA clones with the TC9's. They are quite passable for normal TV viewing without a sub. For music or more volume/satisfaction you'd better have a sub.

• I got 4 of the Alpha 3-8 ohm and think a little MTM would be cool.  I do have the APT30, but I'm not expecting this to be a great combination.  Maybe something all recessed with the ND25 w/o the face plate.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Turn2 said:
    I believe a sub will be needed. I have a W5-1138SMF available to make a playmate.

I envision something not unlike the NOLA clones with the TC9's. They are quite passable for normal TV viewing without a sub. For music or more volume/satisfaction you'd better have a sub.

I figured as much , so a 2.1?
  • Latest thoughts are leaning toward 2 of the EAs in parallel over a 4" Peerless or the TPC115-4. It could still be a modest size for a 3-driver speaker and I could settle for the output with out a sub.

• Turn2 said:
    Latest thoughts are leaning toward 2 of the EAs in parallel over a 4" Peerless or the TPC115-4. It could still be a modest size for a 3-driver speaker and I could settle for the output with out a sub.

Why not put them in parallel over the TB instead?
  • I could, but I'd need one more and they are out of stock for 6 weeks. Secondary reasons would be requiring a bigger box and 82 dB sensitivity. The idea has been planted though.