Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

The Juggernauts - a high end large format 3-way

edited July 2018 in DIY
I realized I never posted about these over here and not everyone browses Tech Talk anymore. These were supposed to be my final design team build but life got in the way and they've been going very slow over the last year. I started working on these in August of 2017 and am almost finished now. I don't have all the photos on my phone of the build progress so I'm going to link to the Tech Talk build thread for now.

These use the Morel Supreme ST-1108 tweeters, Vifa NE149W-08 midrange, and Dayton RSS265HF-4 with matching passive radiator. The cabinets have a plywood subframe with an outer layer of MDF on the sides, back, and bottom with a layer of green glue in between. The front and top is solid black walnut. View pictures and more info here: 

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/1353116-design-team-build-3-the-juggernauts-also-know-as-the-better-late-than-never

I'll update this thread with some pictures later.
D1PP1N

Comments

• This is the almost finished cab  

GowaTurn2S79104thtryD1PP1Njr@macJasonP
  • Love the overall look and especially the walnut.  Nice work Sir!
  • Freaking gorgeous!
  • Thanks guys. These have been a long time in the making and I'm almost completely done. Have to finish soldering up the mid/tweet crossover for one side tonight and install the drivers and crossovers into one of the cabs. Then it's done! I started these almost a year ago, so it really feels good to be this close.
  • One of the best sounding speakers at MWAF Saturday.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Yes, vury nice!! =)  Sounded great
  • One of the best sounding speakers at MWAF Saturday.

Thanks John. Both of your builds were great as usual. I was really impressed with how deep the bass was on the coax build.
  • 6thplanet said:
    Yes, vury nice!! =)  Sounded great
    Thanks. Did you have a build this year? I don't remember seeing one.
  • Nope, moved in December, just got my garage built, getting all my junk outta storage next week. God I miss being able to build stuff!!!
  • Nice, that almost looks photoshopped
  • :/ John, sorry I missed you at the show this weekend! Also missed your Synergy horn project, which I definitely wanting to hear.  :/
  • John, how efficient are those Synergy horns?
  • My horn is about 86 to 87 dB at 2.83 volts.  The Danley horns are well over 100 dB at 2.83v.

Weird observation-> after both events I've have to use soap and water to clean a giant patch of finger prints from the inside of the horn.  Hopefully no one poked a hole in the mid.

• My horn is about 86 to 87 dB at 2.83 volts.  The Danley horns are well over 100 dB at 2.83v.

Weird observation-> after both events I've have to use soap and water to clean a giant patch of finger prints from the inside of the horn.  Hopefully no one poked a hole in the mid.

That's interesting. I would have guessed they were more efficient based on how they sound.
  • That is mainly due to the directivity.

• Yes they sound VERY dynamic.  I would have guess low 90's at least.  I was very impressed with them at InDIYana.  I also thought it was awesome when someone asked you John if the horn loading made the crossover much simpler.  Your off the cuff reply was priceless!
  • Seriously though Kerry's speakers sounded like what I would have wanted from this speaker. 

The x-o was redone from Fort Wayne where it sound like crap.  At MWAF issues were nasal/ horn with some vocals, but that's hard to distinguish from added depth.  There's probably no way around this with an offset driver entrance into the horn.  Could also be from the tweeter issue below.

The XT25BG30 has a hump in the top end that bugs me.  I can't bring up the highs to improve the openness without the speaker sounding bright.  I also told myself no tiny notch on this budget speaker build, maybe a stupid decision.

Woofers, meaning subwoofer DCS165-4, seems to have a slight rising low frequency response that I missed in several builds.  Tuning is spot on but the response is peaking a bit. This results in some mush, smear, boom on some bass transitions.  I never hear this at home as my room sucks out near 45 Hz.

Still the lowest midrange distortion speaker I own.

• Wait?  What???  You don't think you own the very best sounding speaker that should have won best in class at MWAF if it weren't for those silly judges' bias?  How refreshing!   B)
  • Hold on now, Craig, you're starting to sound like someone else with the same name....
    PWRRYD
  • Craig, I actually got Kerry's second place award in the over $200 class. Javad's Ceramicos were 3rd.
  • Wolf said:
    Hold on now, Craig, you're starting to sound like someone else with the same name...

Tongue in cheek Ben.
  • Since we've sidestepped a smidge...

One judge I know as Jerry, according to the notes. And the other 2 were sparse; "2.6kHz HP is low for a 0.75" dome." said one, and the third just said, "Nice Speaker System."

Really? Ya call that feedback from professionals? I'll post the score majority over on PETT...

rjj45PWRRYD
  • I sure wouldn't want to be a judge at MWAF!  First off I don't think I could give any pair of speakers a really good evaluation with only 3 minutes of music.  I'm sure I could hear blaring issues.  But in the last several years of DIY events the bar has been raised so much that few, if any, designs have real blaring issues.  It comes down more to individual taste in voicing.  The other points awarded like creativity and craftmanship...  way too subjective IMO.  I won't give any examples as I don't want to step on any past winner's toes but I've seen some and thought "WTH?  Did you even try to hide the seams?"  Or "who would want that in their living room?"  It's just way too subjective.  
    greywardenjr@macS7910
  • Finally got a chance to throw together the crossover schematic and box dimensions. Added a few more pictures as well. Ignore the wattage rating on the resistors. I forgot to update that before saving the picture. They are all standard 10 watt except for the 2.5 Ohm on the woofer circuit. That one is 4 of the 10 Ohm green Mundorf resistors from Madisound paralleled to give me a 2.5 Ohm 48 watt rating.

Unfortunately my wife likes the way the look, but thinks it ends up being too much wood in the living room with them as the mains  :s So these are going to end up upstairs in a room that is probably too small for them...

• Gotta honor the "WAF", no matter what.  So you're going to move these beauties out and go back the the Boomsticks?

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Wow!  Those are beautiful!  The aluminum feet are unexpected, yet work perfectly.  Wonderfully done, Kerry!
  • rjj45 said:
    Gotta honor the "WAF", no matter what.  So you're going to move these beauties out and go back the the Boomsticks?

Yeah, the Boomsticks will stay in the living room for now. 

• MartyH said:
    Wow!  Those are beautiful!  The aluminum feet are unexpected, yet work perfectly.  Wonderfully done, Kerry!
    Thanks, Marty!