Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

My new Open Baffle Project

Comments

• Thanks for the compliment Nick but when you look at them closely in person they aren't exactly perfect.  Anyway, I took a good sniff of them after work tonight and there is no trace of the linseed smell (ie it has cured).  So I'm going to go ahead and top coat them with clear gloss lacquer, sprayed from a rattle can.  It's the perfect weather right now to spray and there is a very light breeze in the right direction to move the fumes and any over-spray out of the garage and away from the Mustang.
  • rjj45 said:
    Hmm, missed the disussion (if any) about the waveguide for the tweeter.
    What's the deal?  
    Love those TB 1320SIF bamboo, I listened to them full range for about a year,
    and may use them in a new 3 way.
    Nice look with the poplar. I'm a big fan of all Tung finishes. I've had some problems
    with other finishes.
    I removed the factory plastic faceplate and bolted the tweeters to the backside of several test baffles that were different "wavguide" profiles and size.  None of those prototypes measured as smoothly on and off axis as the factory faceplate.  So I stayed with it.
  • Three light coats of lacquer laid down tonight... a light sanding tomorrow after work followed by 3 more coats then they are done!  I worked on the crossover design a little bit over my lunch break today using WinPCD.  It looks like it is going to take a couple more parts than usual but things are looking really nice so far.  I can't wait to hear these.  I don't know if I stated it before but I am using the Clincher's bass bins for the woofers in this project.  Those are the Vifa NE225W-4 woofers in 35 liters, ports tuned to 34 Hz.
    jhollanderD1PP1N
  • Those are going to be pretty sweet Craig! More parts than anticipated - I can sure relate to that! What's your count so far?
  • I just counted, guess it's not too bad.  15 parts so far.
  • And no Zobels!   :p
    Wolf
  • edited September 2018
    Yeah, yeah, I know...  baby poo!

Sometimes it "feels" like there are a ton of parts there because I've got values in so many fields, things I've tried like a notch here or there or padding resistors before and after.  Then I go back and see that there are values there but they are grayed out because I have some of those function disabled.
  • It would be totally awesome if some of the measuring / sim applications had versioning and comments - you could fool around a bit with "what ifs", then revert back to an earlier version.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • 15 parts for 3-way? That seems very reasonable. I can't seem to get the ND105 to fall where I want it without a zobel after a damped 2nd order.

I think WinPCD has a comments box, but I've never used it.

• It looks like I'm using 25 parts but it's really only 15 at this point.  I need to stop simming, order the needed parts and get to voicing.
  • I laid down three more coats of lacquer tonight.  Happy to go to bed tonight with no stress/regrets over any runs, sags, or bugs in the finish  :o   A little polishing with a brown paper bag and they are done!
    dynamoS7910
  • Side tracking here a moment...  I have been working on my Mustang pretty hard core for the last 8 weeks or so.  Every time I turned around it was another "awe man" set back.  At one point I told Shelley I was done and throwing in the towel!!!  Fast forward to this afternoon...  just took it for a test drive with the blower belt on.  I'm ear to ear smiles and gitty as a school girl!!!  It is finally running perfect and with only 15 pounds of boost, running cheap $2/gal E85 it slammed me back in the seat and started going sideways when I dropped the hammer at 45 in 2nd gear.  Oh yeah baby all that effort was worth it!
    D1PP1Njr@mac
  • According to the man doing the dyno tuning on the sti, e85 tuned like decent 113 leaded gas but with more torque.   Ran it for 4 years all year round on the street.  Good power but mileage sucked for a daily driver.      
  • PWRRYD said:
    Side tracking here a moment...  I have been working on my Mustang pretty hard core for the last 8 weeks or so.  Every time I turned around it was another "awe man" set back.  At one point I told Shelley I was done and throwing in the towel!!!  Fast forward to this afternoon...  just took it for a test drive with the blower belt on.  I'm ear to ear smiles and gitty as a school girl!!!  It is finally running perfect and with only 15 pounds of boost, running cheap $2/gal E85 it slammed me back in the seat and started going sideways when I dropped the hammer at 45 in 2nd gear.  Oh yeah baby all that effort was worth it!
    Gotta love the goosebumps and uncontrollable grin induced by an insanely fast car!
  • BOOST!!!!   <3
  • 6thplanet said:
    BOOST!!!!   <3
    It's crazy really.  An engine like this set up for boost (cam mainly) just craves boost.  Idle, part throttle cruising, tip in accel, decel are all smooth and as good as it ever was with full fuel injection.  But when it goes into boost... the engine takes on a whole different tone.  She sings and just wants to eat!
    D1PP1N
  • It shits and gets as the youth's say.
    Nicholas_23
  • Taking the Mustang to Byron Dragway tomorrow....  hoping the weather is good, the track surface is good, and praying for my safety of course.  I've gone through and checked every nut and bolt 3 times... My wife and kids will be there watching.
    jr@macNicholas_23
  • Hoping you guys at Meniscus GTG are having a blast.  See you guys in Iowa.
    jr@macrjj45
  • Had a great day at the track.  The mighty Mustang ran awesome.  It ran a bit faster than I predicted it would after detuning it so much.  My wife took some good videos of my runs but they are fairly large files from her digital camera.  Is there a way to share them here?
    D1PP1N
  • If not any suggestions?  Had a couple nice 1 foot high 60 foot long wheelies.
    D1PP1N
  • PWRRYD said:
    Had a great day at the track.  The mighty Mustang ran awesome.  It ran a bit faster than I predicted it would after detuning it so much.  My wife took some good videos of my runs but they are fairly large files from her digital camera.  Is there a way to share them here?
    Best thing to do with videos is upload them to Youtube and then share the link here.  That's what I do with all the DIY show video clips.

My signature goes here
  • Glad to hear the car was quick and safe. Love to see some videos!
  • Thanks Bryan.  Her digital camera stores the files on a removable sim card so it will be easy to transfer them to my laptop, then upload to youtube.  I guess I just have to create a free account.  Might be a couple days but I will upload them and share the link.
    jhollander
  • Here is a link to one of my videos.  You can search Youtube for my name: Craig Salin and see my channel

jr@macNicholas_23jhollanderS7910Bryan@MAC
  • Hell yes, son! I need to get back out to the strip... Nice run  B)
  • Best run of the day:

• Back to our regularly scheduled program....  the parts for my hybrid OB crossover:

kennyk
  • PWRRYD said:
    Best run of the day:

Sweet jeebus , shes quick! Didnt grow up in a ford family, but always to a liking to those fox bodies and yours sir is a beaut !