Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

68 Camaro Install

Comments

• great looking car !!!
  • I know its second gen F body , but this ticks all the boxes on my list
    dynamoPWRRYD
    Oh yeah, that’s a nice TA 
  • Always like the look of the GM three spoke steering wheel . I actually found one out of a monza, back in the day (maroon) and put in my 68 half ton . 

I like them too, it would be nice to find one. I wouldn’t mind my Grant if it was black.
  • Wolf said:
    Is that the Eclipse balanced 16V unit? IIRC, they never made the module to finish the balanced outs.
    It is one that has the option of connecting to the 16v balance out box, but I just have the head unit that does 8v on its own. 

I always beleived the box was produced but never actually saw one, so maybe it never did make production. Not sure.
    Yup!  Those engines were "smogged" to death but I love the body lines.  Nothing a decent set of heads, cam, intake, carb, headers, and set of rear gears couldn't fix.  
  • You guys are speaking cars, and it's ACD festival + auction here in Auburn this weekend...

Saw some nice rides last night and tonight as well.

• I googled that event, looks like a nice gathering. Definitely some unique cars there!

I looked, it appears Eclipse did sell the balance out converter. I found the model number for the box but then forgot it and now can’t refind it..
  • Yeah I had a 70 Chevelle 307 with muncie 3 speed, converted to 317 4 barrel with high flow 327 heads.  I got into a lot of trouble with the car. Basically the nice Judge forced me to sell it (to my brother).  It finally ended up with a 4 bolt main factory 350/ 350 hp with HEI.  We sold to some kid in Florida who broke an axle and totaled the car. 

I ended up with a 1966 VW bug, 36 hp...
    jr@mac
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Made a little progress today. It was 85 and super humid out so it was a little miserable. I did however swap out my little BIC speakers in the garage the other day and was jamming to my Summits B)

• edited September 2018

There was a nice indent about an inch and a half deep running the width of the trunk under the back deck lid. I glued in a strip of thick foam as a gasket and cut a baffle board for the subs. I will wedge the top into the indent and the bottom against the floor pan to stand vertical behind the trunk lid rods. I am using OSB for a handful of reasons: its cheap, stable, easy to work with, relatively light, and I have a bunch of it left from the garage build.

• Loudest wagon on the block!

• Finished up the vinyl on the kicks. Definitely not as good as I hoped for but this vinyl had almost no stretch. And yes, I am showing you the best angle of the one that turned out the best. :)   Other views may or may not have seams and or wrinkles..

jhollander
  • This peel and seal is awesome to work with. Highly recommended. Just like dynamat.

• "Dynamated" both sides then put down a layer of heavy foil faced insulation for additional interior heat resistance from the headers and exhaust pipes.

• Dug out some old 1/0 to use. It can double as a tow rope if I ever need one!

• Man!  Looking awesome dynamo!  Thanks for sharing the pictures.
  • Thanks, glad you are following the progress!

-Chris
  • dynamo said:

Finished up the vinyl on the kicks. Definitely not as good as I hoped for but this vinyl had almost no stretch. And yes, I am showing you the best angle of the one that turned out the best. :)   Other views may or may not have seams and or wrinkles..

Nice hammer collection!   =)
    dynamo
  • Lol, it’s hammer time! My wife buys them when they go super cheap on rebate at menards and I don’t have any hooks for the slat wall yet. I suppose I could stand to put some in a box somewhere though! 
  • dynamo said:
    Lol, it’s hammer time! My wife buys them when they go super cheap on rebate at menards and I don’t have any hooks for the slat wall yet. I suppose I could stand to put some in a box somewhere though! 
    The 11% rebate sale that they force you to spend there?  I never figured out the attraction of that promotion - or that store.  

• Hey I like Menards, compared to Lowes and HD they keep the store stocked, and have a lot of stuff the other two don't stock.  Downside is they don't cut anything at out StL stores.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Menards is usually the cheapest to begin with, but besides the 11% they will run other instore rebates, like those hammers are normally say $20 or $25, they might offer a $15 rebate on them. My wife is really good with coupons so it works out.
  • Lowe’s will match the 11% rebate with a gift card on the spot. HD used to but now it’s a hassle there with an online submission.
  • edited September 2018
    Oh, and besides being a good deal, the reason for purchasing multiple framing hammers was the construction of this workshop garage, a separate 18x27 shed, and finishing the basement. And that pic is where I happened to pile every hammer I have ever owned after cleaning up the garage a month ago and not moved them since =)

• Ok, despite my obvious obsession of hammers, back to the car.

I realized I would be burying the shock studs behind the subs, and planned to upgrade them sooner than later anyway, so I opted to swap out the shocks now before continuing with the install. The old left one was good yet but the right one was shot, so it worked out good.
  • Summit Racing...  you're in trouble now!   :o
    jr@mac
  • PWRRYD said:
    Summit Racing...  you're in trouble now!   :o
    You mean I’m gonna get bitten by the gofast parts bug?
  • Yup.  You'll find yourself spending way too much time surfing their website.  Pretty soon you and your UPS man will be on a first name basis.  Don't ask me how I know.  B) 
  • You’re not kidding, unfortunately I know all too well. I spent waaaaay too much on my 91 Camaro. Paper catalogs were my downfall. I would just page through them and order stuff, eagerly wait for the UPS guy, and do it all over again. It was crazy how addicting car parts are.

I was always partial to Jegs over Summit for some reason though between the two. I would have ordered from Jegs this time around but they didn’t have the Bilsteins. Summit was also the cheapest I could find too though.

I actually only live about 30 mins from Competition Products in Oshkosh, so if I want or need something they have I try to drive there to support them.