Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

New MTM tower project

2»

Comments

• edited December 2018
    I'm not much of a writer, so a full fledged project write-up is probably never going to happen.  I also haven't come up with a name for these (hence the "TBD's") but I'd like to share the important design aspects.  Here are the drawings for the enclosure and the crossover schematic.  It's not stated on the enclosure drawing (oops) but the internal depth is 8.00" for an overall depth of 9.50":

jr@macGowaS7910kennyk
  • edited December 2018
    Some other comments.  After a few more hours of listening I dropped the first cap in the tweeter filter again.  This time down to 6.8 uF.  I think the tonal balance is just perfect now with lots of midrange detail and not sounding too forward.

This design has pretty good sensitivity.  They get pretty loud with the volume knob on my preamp much lower than most of my previous projects.  I incorporated a full 6 dB of baffle step compensation.  I've been listening to them about 36" from the back wall.  I'm sitting 10 feet back with them toed in towards me.

That 1.2 mH woofer inductor is 1.5 mH P-core I unwound to 1.2.  I think the Dayton 1.5 mH 18 gauge steel laminate coil unwound to 1.2 would sound exactly the same.

I bought a 12 oz bag of pillow poly fill from Walmart for $3.99 and split it exactly in half, by volume by eye and put one half in each speaker.  The window brace at the midpoint works perfect to keep the stuffing in place.

The drawing doesn't show them but I have 4 sided to side braces that are 1.5" wide 0.75" thick MDF strips.  There are no front to back braces, execpt for the window brace, because the front and rear panels are so narrow.  

If Jason doesn't mind and anyone is interested I will post the MLTL plots.

If anyone has any questions please ask.
    ThumperTomkennyk
  • PWRRYD said:
    I'm not much of a writer, so a full fledged project write-up is probably never going to happen.  I also haven't come up with a name for these (hence the "TBD's") but I'd like to share the important design aspects.  Here are the drawings for the enclosure and the crossover schematic.  It's not stated on the enclosure drawing (oops) but the internal depth is 8.00" for an overall depth of 9.50":

I kinda think the irony is there if someone would call a slim Peerless tower "The Piers", but hey, not my call.
    PWRRYD
  • I love it!!!!  I am officially calling these the "Piers".  Thanks Turn2!  As proven in the past naming speaker projects is NOT my forte.
    Turn2Gowa
  • PWRRYD said:
    I love it!!!!  I am officially calling these the "Piers".  Thanks Turn2!  As proven in the past naming speaker projects is NOT my forte.
    You can call the next pair the 'Morgans'. :)
    kennyk
  • Piers Morgan :)
  • Gowa said:
    Piers Morgan :)

What is that?

kennyk
  • A wooden car?
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Great idea on the flush mounting. I might have to steal that ;)
  • edited December 2018
    A wooden car?
    Piers Morgan is an English journalist and television presenter currently working on the ITV Breakfast programme Good Morning Britain. Morgan began his career in Fleet Street as a writer and editor for several tabloid papers, including The Sun, News of the World, and the Daily Mirror. :p
    PWRRYD
  • I have this preconceived opinion (that is not based on reason), that a design where the driver manufacturers are all the same is a "better" design.
    D1PP1NPWRRYDThumperTom
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Nice.  With the bump up in drivers and bass extension, how do they compare to your 55-2669/ND25 MTM? 

• I dismantled that project and sold those woofers quite a while ago, so I don't really remember how that project sounded.
    rjj45
  • Respectfully, I disagree with Wolf's/Ben's ideas on the tweeters here. In this case I think the culprit is the placement of the tweeter on the baffle, and their radiation pattern. The wider the radiation pattern of the tweeter, the more it interacts with the baffle. In this case the Wavecor dome would "see" the baffle edges and the surrounds of the woofers, all equally. In the case of the Vifa, since it suffers from relatively poor off-axis performance, it "sees" less of those conditions.

That is my two cents based on more observation than anything else, YMMV.
    dcibelkennyk
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • You are likely right in that the dispersion plays a part here, JasonP.