Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Jupiter Station High End Media Playback Deck

2»

Comments

• Cool project!
  • Very nice build Sir , neat to hear and see it up close 
  • Give us the dope! Want to hear MORE!
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • This inspires me to take what I've already done and add that little volume control.

The little HDMI audio decoder I have is surprisingly good on its own.  I'm controlling my little Dell Inspiron 3050 Micro desktop streamer using Foobar2000 and foo_remote for iPhone/iPad.  The noise floor from the little decoder is phenomenal and the analog sound I'm getting from it is shockingly clean.  Right now I'm using software volume control, but it would be nice to transform it into a bit-perfect solution as you're doing.

Can you go into any more detail on that Arduino PGA controller?
  • edited October 2016
    Pete, once I get http://jupiteraudioworks,com going in the coming months full details will be there on this build. I'll have the wiring diagram and sketchs for the Arduino programming hosted too. If you don't want to wait, you can start where I did at diyaudio: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/260577-another-modified-pga2311-kit-arduino-volume-control-input-selection.html
    greywarden
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • I like the header, @JasonP ;
    deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)
  • JP, this is one of the best DIY (non speaker) builds I have ever seen/heard!!  Button this beotch up and lets get a much deserved spotlight going.   Just watching you orchestrate the Iowa DIY with your phone has got to elicit many queries........   
    greywarden
    My signature goes here
  • Progress update: Torn down for an upgrade and hopefully fully finished by Iowa!
    • Got a new R-Core Transformer to power the AK4495 dual DAC individually.
    • Got the XMOS connection board to allow a direct USB -> DAC interface for that board. (hoping that solves the zero-input noise issue).
    • Ordered new parts to build my own PGA2311 preamp. Its a simple enough design to do on a discrete point to point via perf board. Its really cool too, uses a MAX1044 charge-pump to invert DC voltage from an arduino!
    • Ordered parts to replace all rear connections with a 62-pin HD DSUB using breakouts.
    Pics to come soon!

kennykSilver1omoisaeagle4031greywarden
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Have you thought about using an atom based board that doesn't require active cooling?
  • pknaz said:
    Have you thought about using an atom based board that doesn't require active cooling?
    Actually, funny you mention it. I didn't update the design details here but the entire windows PC is gone as the core and now its a Raspberry Pi 3 running Volumio. So yes, I did think exactly that.
  • Alright, rewired the DAC's power today and tested the USB input. The connection solves hiss issue we experienced last year when nothing was input to the DAC. Its now properly dead silent. Photos!

Running off my windows PC atm for testing:

The only worry I had was this bad boy r-core transformer:
    That sticker is a bold lie. I get 0-12, 0-12 and 0-15, 0-15 VAC on my meter. I spent an hour studying the power regulation stages of the DAC to see what would happen with extra juice going in, and it is still within spec of the chips and various parts. Seems to run fine, and the one regulator that lacks a heatsink seems to cap out at about 52C (checked with an IR thermometer). That part is rated to 100C so I don't see any issues.

Ok, well that is done. Now just to get the digital preamp and bluetooth remote working.

Nicholas_23Bryan@MACkennykD1PP1NgreywardenSilver1omo4thtry