Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

time for something (magazine) new- suggestions ?

got tired of Stereophile yrs ago, went back to absolute sound (seems it was better way back when, anyway) not bad, but looking for suggestions on what you are reading- thx

Comments

• Audio Xpress, Voice Coil.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • edited February 2019
    Not to derail but along the same content.  I was reviewing the new flyer from PE and I can't believe the crap they publish on these project builds.  The frequency response on one of them was +-10dp.  <Rant Done>
    greywarden
  • If you mean 'Old Skool' it really does sound very good.
  • Ill second Old School. I think I was next to Ben when they were being played at the Meniscus get together. They started playing then seemingly all at once everyone started paying attention. I think its safe to say they outperfomed expectations.
  • edited February 2019

I'll 3rd Old Skool.   I was amazed too.  Really makes you think.

Currently down to zero magazines.  I was one of the original readers of The Absolute Sound, Stereophile, and Audio Amateur going back to the 70's.  I have back issues of Audio Amateur going all the way back to 1970.  Only missing a couple years of back issues (1974), 1978).    I have all the Speaker Builder mags from 1980 to 2000.  I have Audio Express from 2001 to about the time that Ed Dell sold the magazine.  After that, I let my Audio Express subscription lapse.   I liked these mags better back in the old days, they now seem a little bit too commercial for my taste.   That is why I now prefer to build my own speakers and pretty much stay away from high end audio.   Just too pricy for me.  I really miss companies like Heathkit, SWTP, EICO, Dynaco, etc.

Bryan@MACkennyk
  • I know Bill would never mention it himself but he’s been featured in I believe Speaker Builder back in the late 70s or early 80s. Honored to rub elbows with him and all the DIY talent around here. 
    My signature goes here
  • I still enjoy stereophile for the measurements. You can find annual deals for cheap.