Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• I might pick up a couple. I see my local Menards has the same discount and their web page says 53 in stock.

• I used to see and buy MDF stair tread. They were 1 1/8" thick and 4 ft. long. I used them to make front baffles and build up corners for big round overs. I haven't seen them locally for a while. I still see particle board stair treads.

https://menards.com/main/doors-windows-millwork/staircase-systems-parts/stair-treads-risers/dakota-trade-ready-to-finish-particleboard-1-1-8-x-11-1-4-stair-treads/partbdtreadblns4164609/p-1444428255279-c-1531492797420.htm

And yes, poplar is great wood to work with.

Ron

• thanks, i have not used poplar a lot, apart from the blochyness or stains, seems to be good.

• All of the trim in our house is poplar.

Ron

rjj45kenrhodeshifisideSteve_Lee
  • @Ron_E said:
    All of the trim in our house is poplar.

Looks great, and of course having speakers to match will nicely fit in !

• That looks pretty uniform Ron. no noticeable blotches

• @ani_101 said:
    That looks pretty uniform Ron. no noticeable blotches

My wife and friends did all the wood finishing when we built the house. She used Old Master wipe-on Cedar stain. Some poplar will have greenish streaks in it that will turn a darker brown when stained. You can see an example in the top of the nearest post facing the camera. I think it's attractive.

Ron

rjj45Steve_LeePWRRYD
  • edited January 24

@Ron_E said:
    I think it's attractive.

Yeah, that looks great! I was shocked when you said it was all poplar. My wife will be home a little after 7:00 and we are headed to Menard's for particle board shelves and poplar stair treads! =)

• That's a good woman you got there.

Ron_EDrewsBrews
  • I finally opened up the latest PE flyer. They are pushing the kits pretty hard. I see the C-Notes are now up to $140 for the full kit, but they offer it without the cabinets for $100. At that price, I would point people to the MAC kit.

• You sure that isn't the amplified 'c-sharp' kit?

• Standard C-notes with knock down cabs have been $140 for awhile now.

• Do you suppose they caught enough flack for the name no longer matching the price that they decided to sell it without the flat pack for $100?

Wolf
  • Went to Menards for some of the 8ft shelving boards before the sale ends. But they only had 5/8" and 1/2" thick stuff. I hope they aren't moving to that thickness :/ .

Ended up grabbing a bunch of the $2.99 48" "Value Shelf" boards since there was plenty of 3/4" unfinished material left. Saved me from having to mess with a tarp in the truck bed since it is still drizzly out.

• Haha, I just went to Menards and I wanted 5/8" but they had almost all 3/4" and a few 1/2". I didn't get any though because I need to go to a different store, further away, if I want the Poplar stair tread.

• The GRS Fountek clones have been dropped in price. Not long ago the O'Ryan tweeter was $85, now it is $75. The rectangular version was $75, now it is $65. Not sure about the others as I never really paid attention but I imagine a similar drop occurred there.
    I like to think PE is just going aggressive since it smells like Fountek is back.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • By the way, that is a helluva ribbon for $75.

I have a signature.
  • JR, is there a standalone full measurement of that tweeter somewhere? How low can it be crossed?

• I crossed at 3200 with no issues. Measured response was pretty much identical to advertised, allowing for some slight diffraction.

I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    The GRS Fountek clones have been dropped in price. Not long ago the O'Ryan tweeter was $85, now it is $75.

I'm pretty sure that just happened in the last couple of days. I was looking at it last weekend and quite sure it was still $85. I also noted several other drivers cheaper this week than the last time I looked (which was probably last week,).

• Sioux Falls Restore. 25”x 78”

Steve_Leejr@macSilver1omorjj45kenrhodes6thplanet4thtry
  • Is that 1 1/8" thick bench top material?

• No just 3/4” PB

• edited February 6

Pwrryd noticed the ND28F had dropped in price a few weeks ago and JR noticed the drop for the GRS ribbons. I just noticed many Dayton drivers that have dropped in price, some pretty significantly. I also bake in a 10-12% discount knowing that I will wait for the next sale.

I also just saw today that free shipping is now on orders over $49. PE had made this change a few months before the pandemic but with the supply chain issues quietly put it back at $99.

Steve_Lee
  • That $49 for free shipping is a big deal to me!

Steve_Lee
  • Jule Fidelity also has $49 for free shipping right now and some caps and resistors on sale

Steve_LeejholtzScottS
  • @Jakes_dad said:
    Jule Fidelity also has $49 for free shipping right now and some caps and resistors on sale

Thanks for that. I've had $40 worth of xo components sitting in my cart for 2 weeks. Time to add something and hit submit.

• I'm getting a "parked domain" page today for julefidelity.com

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Julefidelity.co
    Julefidelity.net
    Godaddy is still holding.com for $1300 a year.

rjj45Dirk