Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• Wow, those really do look great. Nice large Qms for one thing.
    Yeah the high(ish) 3rd order HD took me off Wavecor for a long time. Don't need a "harsh" sound

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • @hifiside said:

This post was perfectly timed for me - thanks Brad! Wanted a solid wood for an upcoming project and these fit the bill nicely. Even at $15 ea (not on sale by me), they're substantially cheaper than any other readily available option.
    Grabbed 5 of them last night.

PWRRYDSteve_Leerjj45
  • casual, warm and beautiful.

Steve_Lee
  • Not on sale here either. Picked up 2 yesterday for baffles or whatever. Look great!

• I went back yesterday to buy some and they’re off sale here too. At least somebody caught him on sale.

• Even a practical and pragmatic man such as Ben cannot resist casual, warm and beautifull. Whom here amoung us could?

• Menards has 15% off bag sale

• What are the bag restrictions? Was hoping the acacia boards "fit".

hifiside
  • I tried it a couple of hours ago. I think the cashier would have let me, but the cash register software knew the dimensions and wouldn't let the discount apply. I bought one for the $15 for the top of a tool chest I will be making.

hifiside
  • Did the bag sale today, If over half the item fits in the bag the checkers were OK with it. I had a few 250' rolls of copper wire in the bag and 1 inch black iron pipe fittings. There was no way to lift the bag. I had it wedged in the corner of the shopping cart. My savings were $37.41, about $250 in the bag.

Steve_Leerjj45
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I should have never went.

Steve_Leerjj45kenrhodesjohnny5jzTurn24thtry
  • "FW800HS’s acoustic parameter is tuned can be worked with the smaller enclosure - 500 liter" and free shipping!
    https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-31-woofers/fostex-fw800hs-31.5-super-woofer/

rjj45Steve_Lee
  • Yay another "sales" flyer from PE. Sigh.

I have a signature.
  • @silverD said:
    "FW800HS’s acoustic parameter is tuned can be worked with the smaller enclosure - 500 liter" and free shipping!
    https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-31-woofers/fostex-fw800hs-31.5-super-woofer/

Even $479.00 I wouldn’t buy it.

Steve_Leerjj45
  • BAck to the Future, anyone?

:lol:

• @hifiside said:

@silverD said:
    "FW800HS’s acoustic parameter is tuned can be worked with the smaller enclosure - 500 liter" and free shipping!

Yeah, with a 2.3mm xmax it can move as much air as a 15" driver with 10mm xmax. No thanks.

hifisideSteve_Lee
  • @DanP said:

@hifiside said:

@silverD said:

Yeah, with a 2.3mm xmax it can move as much air as a 15" driver with 10mm xmax. No thanks.

Yep - and if you keep your eyes peeled you can find those GRS high excursion subs as "open box" for peanuts, relatively speaking. In fact, you can buy 40 or so of the 15" for what this hunk of junk costs. Can you imagine a home theater setup with an array of 40 15" subwoofers and several kilowatts of power? Zero problem with T-Rex foot stomps right there.

I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:

@DanP said:

@hifiside said:

@silverD said:

Yep - and if you keep your eyes peeled you can find those GRS high excursion subs as "open box" for peanuts, relatively speaking. In fact, you can buy 40 or so of the 15" for what this hunk of junk costs. Can you imagine a home theater setup with an array of 40 15" subwoofers and several kilowatts of power? Zero problem with T-Rex foot stomps right there.

Imagining it now 🤤. You wouldn't even need several kilowatts of power either with as efficient as the system would be.

It's funny, customers always ask me if the SDX12 is the best output per dollar sub on the market and I tell them only if space is a concern. If not, you can grab 4 average 15"ers for the same cost, put them in a giant box, and blow the SDX12 out of the water. Good thing for me most people value space.

PWRRYDhifisidejr@maca4eaudiorjj45Steve_Leeugly_wooferScottSSilver1omoani_101and 1 other.
  • Quick update on the acacia boards... they cut and machined well, but I left them hanging around for a few days after cutting and they warped and split at the glue joints pretty badly. Not sure what the variables were that caused this, but I didn't do anything unusual.

Steve_Leekenrhodesjhollander
  • That’s too bad.
    I definitely prefer the look of solid wood over ‘skin’, and the jointed boards are really nice!

• edited January 8

I bet they dried out pretty quick if in a warehouse with few people around to moisten things up. I wouldn't be surprised if these were constructed in a more tropical region. I've had the board I bought in the back of the truck cab for a week (dumb) so I need to check it.

Steve_Lee
  • How did you store them? Were they piled on top of each other? You need to either keep the freshly cut wood completely sealed on all sides, edges, and ends, or you need to keep the wood completely open to the air on all sides, edges and ends. The wood needs to breathe evenly or it will warp and crack.

• edited January 9

Sealing the end grain is critical if pulling it from a stack of freshly delivered supply.
    Going from the tropics to the MidWest this time of year is asking for trouble otherwise.
    Drew/4thtry nailed it.

• Being that these were cured and pre glued boards they should not have split at the joints. Properly stabilized lumber should manage humidity change with little to no warping and no split joints.

Steve_Lee6thplanet
  • @kenrhodes said:
    Being that these were cured and pre glued boards they should not have split at the joints. Properly stabilized lumber should manage humidity change with little to no warping and no split joints.

Exactly.

• edited January 9

I just bought 10 :# I did notice that some at Menards had split ends per say.

• edited January 9

So, like all the Sh*t plywood full of voids and delaminating we buy at a premium these days what do we do about it after spending the money?

I could rant for days about the state of our pointless existence & the general incompetence but nothing will change as a result.

Looks like it needs to dry more, get split on the table saw and reglued or turned into firewood.

The store isn't going to take it back, is it?

• The Menards closest to me would take it back. I have returned cut plywood before; as long as there is a factory issue they stand behind it.
    That would be some expensive firewood.

Steve_Lee
  • @Steve_Lee said:
    So, like all the Sh*t plywood full of voids and delaminating we buy at a premium these days what do we do about it after spending the money?

I could rant for days about the state of our pointless existence & the general incompetence but nothing will change as a result.

Looks like it needs to dry more, get split on the table saw and reglued or turned into firewood.

The store isn't going to take it back, is it?

Not sure, but I'll try. I knew this was a possibility going into it, and honestly I'm glad it happened before I got too much work invested. Much more severe than I would have guessed though.

• To me this is the biggest failure, there are almost no wood fibers stuck to the opposite board.
    On the lower joint, we see a few fibers but it is still a failure. Of all the boards I only see one significant crack most likely caused by moisture issues. The boards also look like they stayed fairly flat, even though they didn't alternate grain orientation correctly. Without the glue failure, I would think these were ok boards, what a shame.

Steve_Lee