Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

What's up? 2019 Summer edition

What project do you guys have on the burners? I've got the bug back and I'm building 4 pairs of speakers, designing an analog DSP circuit, building two preamps and a pair of power amps, and uh, learning more about that 3d printing thing.

Pics? Sure:

Denovo Knock-down cabs from PE. I have used these before, but man, they sure have tightened down the tolerances a whole bunch. I'd say these were accurate to under a 1/16th inch (maybe 1/32nd even). That is a pair of .56 and .23 cubes, with just some tape on them till they dry.

Oh, the DAC on top is about 20$ from monoprice. Has Toslink and Coax in, CS digital transceiver, and a DAC I have almost no info about: Everest Semiconductor 10-pin 24 bit, 192k chip. Specs on it look good. It'll be interesting to compare the the high-class AK4495 DAC I bring to Iowa.

Oh, and this? A (Tolvan Data) Edge optimized baffle for speaker measurement. I have it pre-cut with a 9" hole, which will host adapters (3d printed) from driver 8" and smaller. I have stacks of drivers here to test, so a Hard Data series will be coming here this summer. The main intent: HD testing over 2.8 to 11.3V drive levels.

So, what's up?
= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
rjj45hifisidePWRRYD

Comments

• JasonP said:
    designing an analog DSP circuit,
    What exactly is an analog DSP? The D in DSP is for digital ;)

My next project I think will be a pair of largish bookshelves, using WF152 and an unobtainium Motus tweeter in a waveguide (Visaton). I was hoping to have this started by now, but my slab bench project is taking more time and effort that originally planned, plus my employer is doing a good job at keeping me busy as well.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Vacation, then maybe some diy. Life is getting away from me, but hope to tie up loose ends tomorrow.
    I have a signature.
  • dcibel said:
    JasonP said:
    designing an analog DSP circuit,
    What exactly is an analog DSP? The D in DSP is for digital ;)

My next project I think will be a pair of largish bookshelves, using WF152 and an unobtainium Motus tweeter in a waveguide (Visaton). I was hoping to have this started by now, but my slab bench project is taking more time and effort that originally planned, plus my employer is doing a good job at keeping me busy as well.
    You are correct sir, "analog signal processing" is what I intended. Whoops!
    dcibel
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Finishing the finish on the Zingers for MWAF in 1.5 weeks currently. Then it's back to these:

hifisideJasonPdynamo
  • edited July 2019
    Finishing up a MTM with 2 TB W4-1320 bamboo mid-woofers and a Fountek NeoCD 3.0 .
    Cabs were kerfed for a large radius baffle. Oak was fumed then Danish oil - love the result.

6thplanethifisidePWRRYDTurn2JasonPJeff_Fdynamo
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited July 2019
    very nice !
    and, let us know where you end up crossing the mids over- thx
    rjj45JasonP
  • I’ve been working off and on when I can sneak it in on these. I bought the subs( MCM 21” ) off Facebook for 100.00 a pair so I had to do something with them.
    JasonPPWRRYD6thplanetjhollanderkennykrjj45S7910dynamo
  • Those should be awesome, especially with the Heil tweeter.  Would love to hear them at a DIY event, how about Iowa this October?  =)
  • Those should be awesome, especially with the Heil tweeter.  Would love to hear them at a DIY event, how about Iowa this October?  =)
    Maybe! So far the Heil tweeter has not impressed me.
    BrannigansLawPWRRYD
  • A two ball Frosty with magic hat!  Me like.

I assumed the Heil would be a really sweet tweeter, what's wrong with it?            
    rjj45
  • Maybe I'll post a pic or two later.  My most recent project has been cutting down some seriously large tree limbs to gain more hours of direct sunlight, doing some major dirt work (by hand) to level a nice spot in the back yard, then setting up an above ground pool for the kiddos...  well ok, my wife and I enjoy it too :)
    Then I built two DIY solar panels to heat the pool.  They work surprisingly well with their output water temp being around 115 F.  Best part is the total cost to build them was under $35.

kennyk
  • Craig also feel free to shamelessly plug/link other threads on this forum, I know you've been busy with some build action lately. I envision this recurrent thread (summer and winter each year) as a place to index other stuff, even on our own forum.
  • PWRRYD said:
    Maybe I'll post a pic or two later.  My most recent project has been cutting down some seriously large tree limbs to gain more hours of direct sunlight, doing some major dirt work (by hand) to level a nice spot in the back yard, then setting up an above ground pool for the kiddos...  well ok, my wife and I enjoy it too :)
    Then I built two DIY solar panels to heat the pool.  They work surprisingly well with their output water temp being around 115 F.  Best part is the total cost to build them was under $35.

pictures please. Interested in the solar water heater!
  • Hope to sell my old house and move into a new house this summer...ton of DIY house projects...
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • It's just some 1/2" ACX plywood, 100' of 1/2" irrigation tubing (each), some zip ties, and some black paint.

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/watering-irrigation/drip-irrigation/rain-bird-reg-1-2-x-100-drip-irrigation-tubing/t63100bulk/p-1444451885691-c-8653.htm?tid=-348019933727560047&ipos=4

The pool is 16' round x 48" deep, approx 5500 gallons.
    jr@macSilver1omorjj45JasonPdynamo
  • I haven't really spent much time on the 8" two ways.  I started to assemble the prototype crossovers.  My son asked if he could help and said that he wanted to learn how to solder.  So we spend some time practicing with junk parts.  Surprisingly he is catching on quite quickly.  My Dad taught me how to solder when I was about his age  =)
    jhollanderjr@macdynamo
  • rjj45 said:
    Finishing up a MTM with 2 TB W4-1320 bamboo mid-woofers and a Fountek NeoCD 3.0 .
    Cabs were kerfed for a large radius baffle. Oak was fumed then Danish oil - love the result.

Those look great!  I love the midrange from those W4-1320's.  I have a 3 way planned for my pair.
    rjj45dynamo
  • Common theme here, as I am buttoning up these soon. What I'm working on next is a quarter wave version. So if anyone has a spare pair of the W4-1320SIF's from the EOL sellout, I may be interested in a pair. Really any version w/o truncated frames might fit the bill.

FYI - these 2-ways feature the extremely rare CSS Audio flat pack that was ideal size for this project.

JasonP
  • I'm building more speakers with the NLA Peerless nomex woofers and assorted tweeters.

I recently installed a patch in a 120 year old oak floor where a floor register used to be. 

I'm currently working on refurbishing a pair of active speakers I designed 20 years ago. The drivers are in great shape but the electronics are starting to fail. Shiva 12" woofer, Peerless 850439 and Hiquphon OW1 tweeter.

Ron

PWRRYDSilver1omoS7910JasonPTurn2
  • Ron_E said:
    I'm building more speakers with the NLA Peerless nomex woofers and assorted tweeters.

Ron

Hi Ron, I am liking this cabinet for the two way. I suppose you veneered after doing the roundover. May I ask what is the roundover radius and did you use veneer softener to get it to follow the roundover. Also, how did you flush the hardwood top with the roundover body and the flush was done before veneer or after?

thanks!
  • ani_101 said:
    Ron_E said:
    I'm building more speakers with the NLA Peerless nomex woofers and assorted tweeters.

Ron

Hi Ron, I am liking this cabinet for the two way. I suppose you veneered after doing the roundover. May I ask what is the roundover radius and did you use veneer softener to get it to follow the roundover. Also, how did you flush the hardwood top with the roundover body and the flush was done before veneer or after?

thanks!
    I think the roundover is an inch.  I did veneer after the roundover and NBL veneer is supposed to be good for 3/4 inch roundovers. The flush was done after the veneer.

The cabinets are Baltic birch except for the front corner which are MDF because I've had trouble with some BB tearing out doing roundovers.

The rear corners are square so I don't have to worry about a seam. I veneered the backs first. I use the iron on method with Titebond  glue.

The tops and bottoms were veneered and wrapped with hardwood and are just slightly oversize.  

Before I glue the tops and bottoms on I position the box on them and use double stick tape to place some small blocks inside in the corners to hold the tops and bottoms in location when I glue them. They tend to float on the glue and drift while clamping otherwise.

Once the tops and bottoms are on I use a bottom bearing bit to cut them flush with the box. Use light cuts and care on the radius's so you don't get tear out. With the square mitered corners the router is going to want to make the cross grain at the end to the pass chip out. Order your router passes so you leave the side that chips out last.

Ron

Silver1omoPWRRYDJasonPTurn2ThumperTomjhollander
  • In addition to the SubOptimus, I've been working on these as well (tentatively calling them Anduril):

I've also been working on an assortment of model airplanes and HO scale freight cars to try and clean off what passes for my workbench.
    JasonPrjj45Turn2

• My view from the bar a few minutes ago. Happy 4th ya filthy animals. 
    JasonPS7910ani_101Jeff_FTurn2rjj45ThumperTomkennykGowa
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:

My view from the bar a few minutes ago. Happy 4th ya filthy animals. 
    Be careful you don't get abducted.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4PYI6TzqYk

Ron
    rjj45kennyk
  • All projects on hold for a week while I take the family on vacation.  We're at Carolina Beach, NC right now.
  • 6 AM this morning!

• 6 AM this morning!
    kennykjr@macrjj45ThumperTomS7910JasonP
  • More design work, this should be coming to Iowa as a collaboration between myself and Scott, a three way with all Tymphany drivers - the midrange is the GBS dome "woofer" on sale at Madisound:

PWRRYDkennyk
  • Just finished up the Peerless 8" two way project.  I am super happy with how they sound now.  Those new Peerless 32mm tweeters are great and the 8" Nomex midbasses hold their own.

On the work bench now is my latest 3 way project that I hope to have ready for Iowa.  Big 8" woofer bass bins, PLA200-6 planar mid and RT1.3WE tweeter in a completely damped enclosure with huge roundovers...  I'll start a new thread with pics soon.  Cheers!
    JasonPrjj45jholtzBrannigansLawkennykS7910dynamo
  • edited July 2019
    Revised the baffle design after a failed attempt (bad mounting hole placement). Real happy with how this turned out:

The tweeter cutout is so perfect it snaps in, barely needs the bolts at all to hold it. Now onto the optimized chamber for the midrange!
    jr@macR-CarpenterkennykS7910hifisideTurn2dynamoSilver1omoGowa