Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Safaris - a short order build

edited July 2019 in DIY
Just wanted to throw up some pics of a build I recently started. I need them done in time for MWAF so I didn’t take time to take any build pics. 

Woofer: M8N
Tweeter: DA32TX
Cabinet: curved layered HDF sides, particle board top and bottom, plywood back, aspen baffle.

Veneer: ribbon stripe mahogany sides, zebra wood front, top, sides. The mahogany is dyed red mahogany and the whole thing is coated in sprayed amber shellac (needs a few coats yet).

The pics are the one I quick threw together for measurements and offset (which was larger than expected). No crossover yet, still working on that. 

JasonPPWRRYDTurn2S7910kennykjhollanderdcibel6thplanet4thtryDanPand 3 others.

Comments

• That looks great! You chose a tweeter that should allow an easier xover than when I did mine. I recommend 1.5kHz or lower, and make it steep and suppressive!
  • beautiful!

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Those are quite the niceness!
  • Excellent!   Looks like another set of corundum dome tweeters in the <$200 category.  Good luck with getting  the crossover done in time.  Look forward to hearing these next week.
  • I doubt that'll squeak in under $200. Just checked- tweets are $63.79, and $34.86 for woofers. About a buck-fifty under the hammer per channel.
  • edited July 2019
    Thanks guys! They may not be too great by MWAF with such limited time to voice them, if any time. I mocked up a crossover with the measurements I snagged quick the other night and ordered parts, which will be here Tuesday night. I might get time to play with the tweeter resistor and that’s about it..
  • edited July 2019
    Wolf said:
    I doubt that'll squeak in under $200. Just checked- tweets are $63.79, and $34.86 for woofers. About a buck-fifty under the hammer per channel.
    Under 200 it is, which is why I chose the combo. These are PE Reg Retail Prices, which is what they go by. $2.70 total under the hammer to be exact. Under 200 is under 200, even if it’s 199.99! B)
  • edited July 2019
    Wolf said:
    That looks great! You chose a tweeter that should allow an easier xover than when I did mine. I recommend 1.5kHz or lower, and make it steep and suppressive!
    Yeah it’s not the tweeter I’m worried about though. That M8N sounds really snarly with the sine sweep. That cone resonance is very real indeed!
  • +15dB at 2kHz. Ask me how I know....
  • edited July 2019
    Well good luck on completing the crossovers 👍
  • Thanks I need it!