Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• 1 L of 7.7% should get the party started!
    kennyk
  • jr@mac said:
    I was an idiot and bought a pair for of those big fucking Beston a bit ago:

Now THATS a ribbon!
    I love hefe and that ribbon! I want a pair of those really bad and even with the good DOTD price I still couldn’t spend it.. if you ever decide you wanna part with them hit me up, I may have changed my mind by then! :)
    jr@mac
  • Today is a decent AC woofer with typical misleading (or outright lying) parameters. Also a flash sale of $100 on the Tymphany 8" NE. 
    I have a signature.
  • dynamo said:
    jr@mac said:
    I was an idiot and bought a pair for of those big fucking Beston a bit ago:

Now THATS a ribbon!
    I love hefe and that ribbon! I want a pair of those really bad and even with the good DOTD price I still couldn’t spend it.. if you ever decide you wanna part with them hit me up, I may have changed my mind by then! :)
    Nah, I have started a cabinet plan for an 8" 2-way with some carbon fiber Rival woofers. 
    rjj45dynamokennyk
    I have a signature.
  • edited September 2019
    jr@mac said:
    Today is a decent AC woofer with typical misleading (or outright lying) parameters. Also a flash sale of $100 on the Tymphany 8" NE. 

Zaph measured that AC165/50ck woofer back in 2011; so the data is from a woofer manufactured almost 9 years ago.  The info is on his blog, and yes the specs are way off.
    I measured the AC165/50c2c years ago and the specs on that woofer were much more "normal".  Fs 45, Qts .344, and Vas 19 liters.  I bought one to test and see what it was like, then returned it.
    Nice price on that NE.
  • I have a pair of the 4 ohm version of those NE225.  Very nice drivers indeed.  I used them in 32L vented bass bins for my hybrid OB project last year.  Great bass and they easily play cleanly to 1000 Hz.  I got my pair as door prizes at DIY SD I believe.
  • dcibel said:
    Nothing wrong with a Hefeweizen, the best I've had is brewed in @squamishdroc home town.

That's a good one!
  • The smaller Beston is $22 this weekend.
    I have a signature.
  • Nice deal on the HiVi RT1C-A.  I used that tweeter in my Agendas project and really liked it.  Wolf used it in his Attitudes.
  • Yep- and I still listen to them often.
  • dcibel
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited October 2019
    rjj45 said:
    I bought one of the FX-Audio stereo amps with SPDIF input, and really liked it. The current FX-Audio buyout is impressive. https://www.parts-express.com/promo/buyout_fx_audio?utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_term=SHOP+BUYOUT+NOW&utm_content=%E2%9D%97+FX+Audio+Buyout+%E2%9D%97&utm_campaign=191007_FX-AudioBuyout

These seem to be similiar to the other brands that provide these types of amps, but the buyout pricing looks really good.  How would you rate the build and/or sound quality compared to these other brands?

Dan

• I've got an FX Audio DAC-X6, JR has one too, and it's pretty great, especially for the price. Good quality DAC with headphone amp, so I've no problem recommending having a close look at the DACs and headphone amps.

With their power amps, I'm leery towards a heat generating device in a closed box with zero ventilation. Long term reliability might be questionable with those. If you think they're using the aluminum chassis as a heat sink, think again.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I shelved the FX amp, retained the FX DAC. Replaced the amp with a SMSL branded, much improved. The FX amp was a definite step up from the Dayton DTA120 or wtf ever the model was. 

None of the buyout stuff is the same as the X6, though. Not sure what, other than the input selector/display, changed.

I might grab a headphone amp, the $50 version looks very interesting.
    I have a signature.
  • That M160E has a DAC, card reader, bluetooth, and a big, fat 32V 5A power supply for $46.  Might have to give that a whirl.

• Maybe a red flag for the rest of the FX stuff, nice disclaimer...
    D1PP1N
    I have a signature.
  • DanP said:
    rjj45 said:
    I bought one of the FX-Audio stereo amps with SPDIF input, and really liked it. The current FX-Audio buyout is impressive. https://www.parts-express.com/promo/buyout_fx_audio?utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_term=SHOP+BUYOUT+NOW&utm_content=%E2%9D%97+FX+Audio+Buyout+%E2%9D%97&utm_campaign=191007_FX-AudioBuyout

These seem to be similiar to the other brands that provide these types of amps, but the buyout pricing looks really good.  How would you rate the build and/or sound quality compared to these other brands?

Dan

Build quality on the FX D802 that I bought was good. Turns out that I also bought a Topping TP-32EX and a SMSL SA-36A.  Sound quality on all of them was pretty good, maybe the Topping was a little better, but I thought that having a DAC built into the amp(s) provided some extra clarity, I drove them with optical out from a Raspberry Pi or from my desktop.  At these prices, I'll probably pick up some more of the FX 

Had 2 (!) DTA-100s from PE burn out on me. Never again.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Decent sale price today on the Peerless 830869 woofers I used in my Zangers project.
  • Did you hear my Zangers in Grand Rapids?  Those Peerless are great woofers and I crossed them at about 1250 Hz in a two way  :#   I haven't played with or listened to the MCM KB 8" yet, but my WAG is they maybe better suited as a pure woofer in a three way design.
    kenrhodes
  • Craig's Zangers were actually one of my favorite designs of the CSS/MENISCUS event.  That Peerless driver has seemingly zero breakup and a solid 90dB sensitivity.  Add in the respectable distortion profile and cast frame and it's already a steal at full price.  If I wasn't actively managing my driver addiction, I'd have a quad of these on the way at the DOTD pricing.
  • yes, i heard your Zangers in Grand Rapid - they were great! And I do have a quad of them. But I haven't heard the KB 8". the specs looks great and it has a good XMAX. Was wondering if it would be worth it compared to the Peerless HDS. I have both the Peerless 8" HDS Nomex and the 6" HDS Nomex from the time they were on sale in PE. 

I missed out on the KB's in the madisound sale... Either way, I have way too many drivers... (or maybe not enough)
    rjj45JasonP
  • PWRRYD said:
    Did you hear my Zangers in Grand Rapids?  Those Peerless are great woofers and I crossed them at about 1250 Hz in a two way 

I haven't heard them, but did read that a lot of folks really liked them.  I have a pair of the Peerless 8s from the last time they were dotd.  Did you do a write up or build log anywhere? 

• I found it. 
  •   DanP said:
    Craig's Zangers were actually one of my favorite designs of the CSS/MENISCUS event.  That Peerless driver has seemingly zero breakup and a solid 90dB sensitivity.  Add in the respectable distortion profile and cast frame and it's already a steal at full price.  If I wasn't actively managing my driver addiction, I'd have a quad of these on the way at the DOTD pricing.

+1.   Very impressed by the zangers midrange quality at Mensicus.  (I always seem to miss the good DOTD's). :'(
  • Wow!  Thanks for the compliments guys.  Maybe I should try to squeeze them in the car for this Friday night's listening session.
  •   Yes! Bring 'em!
  • edited October 2019
    OK, I am bringing the Zangers (8" Peerless 2 ways).  I am not bringing the Peerless WWTWW towers.  They need more voicing before their debut.
  • Bring them both. Be daring!

Heck, i'm just now finishing up crossover modeling & measuring. I haven't even listened to this iteration yet!
    rjj45
  • Not the DOTD but a PE one day flash sale:   HiVi RT1.3WE for only $26.50
    jhollander