Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Upcoming project - SubOptimus

I'm finalizing driver selection for some of next years builds to use up some old inventory and first up is a 3 way monkey coffin. I'm calling it SubOptimus because of the drivers involved.

10" Dayton Series II woofers - not a bad driver, just NLA
HiVi K1 - Measures better than it performs, IMHO
Random Focal mid - not good enough to make the cut in anything else and needs to get off the shelf

The idea here is a '70s - '80s style three way floorstanding "bookshelf". The crossover should be a fun challenge come spring.
jr@macD1PP1NJasonP

Comments

• Seconded on the K1.

Do I know the Focal drivers in question?
    I have a signature.
  • Also, awesome build. The world needs more monkey coffins.
    rjj45
    I have a signature.
  • Yep, you know the Focal drivers in question. I've lost count of how many build ideas I've had them penciled into and then promptly removed them from because there were better options to track down.
  • I sent measurements along with them, right? 
    I have a signature.
  • not that I recall.

I've measured T/S to figure out what I need volume-wise for a mid enclosure. The rest I'll deal with when I pull out the Planos of XO parts.
  • Check your PM, sir. I sent snapshots of in-box response of the Focal.
    I have a signature.
  • Had some time to figure out the mid chamber.

Which yielded this in 1L sealed...

• That should be very agreeable to work with.
    I have a signature.
  • Is this a 4" mid? Or is it a 5" with 4" width surround-peak to surround-peak cone?

Only reason I ask, is that the driver has a 5 in it in model, and most 3-4" drivers are in the 80-82cm^2 range. I would have expected the Sd to be larger.

• IIRC it's a 5" with 4" width surround-peak to surround-peak cone. I'll try to verify that this weekend when I have some free time.
  • Here ya go Ben.

• Got the Series II broken in and measured,

Plugged things into UniBox,

.... and that's not gonna work out based solely on the SPL @ 2.83 Vrms 1m as compared to the Focal. I forgot these were that sensitive, so back into the stash they go.

Enter their replacement ...

measured

and modeled

gives this in 3.5 cubes. Little bigger than I expected at the outset, but still very doable.

• Now that it finally warmed up enough to work outside, time to get these moving again.

Internal cabinet dimensions are going to be 36" x 18" x 10", and takes into account the volume needed for the mid enclosure (.23 ft3), bracing, etc.

I'll be using 3/4" ACX plywood from Menards primarily due to personal preference and familiarity with working with the medium.

• Been making slow progress, but progress none the less. Both planters cabinets have had basic glue up. Bracing will be added after I route the baffles and build the mid chamber so I can test fit the various parts to make sure they aren't interfering with each other.
    6thplanetkennykrjj45
  • edited May 2019
    Monkey coffins are COOL! I need to brake down and build one. 🤔
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Digging the monkey coffin, but that's one big monkey!
    Got a pair coming in my near future with the Dayton PN395 anchoring the bottom.
    Tentatively planned for wide baffle.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I might have to jump on this bandwagon, the new garage need some monkeying 😝
  • rjj45 said:
    Digging the monkey coffin, but that's one big monkey!
    Got a pair coming in my near future with the Dayton PN395 anchoring the bottom.
    Tentatively planned for wide baffle.
    It's a big monkey, but since the coffin isn't big enough for a gorilla ...
  • Making some more headway on these.

Baffles routed

Gluing first mid enclosure

rjj45JasonP
  • Quick mock up:

I added the port, and then realized I didn't leave a good place for a window brace.

After some contemplation on the likelihood of these being used for anything remotely resembling critical listening:

6thplanet
  • You could have tied some bracing into the mid enclosure, and you actually still can. Really just need 2 3/4x1 sticks at 90 degrees. 
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • rjj45 said:
    You could have tied some bracing into the mid enclosure, and you actually still can. Really just need 2 3/4x1 sticks at 90 degrees. 
    Good thought. I'll see what I have for scrap lumber in the stash.
  • Been a while since I've done much with these that's noteworthy (fill, sand, repeat), but it's time for an update.

I started on the crossover a week ago after getting back from Grand Rapids. Started Monday evening and had things finalized Wednesday night. Parts count is not quite what I expected from the published FR measurements of the drivers used, with three parts on the woofer (one resistor) four on the mid (two resistors for Lpad) and one on the tweeter. I have some accompanying photos for when the uploader is working again.

• @jr@mac : thanks for convincing me to do this before spray bombing them. The woofer was a nice snug press fit as it is - if you look closely "Look ma, no screws!" - I threw the musical gauntlet at them and they have yet to pop out on me.

Now I just need my XO order to show up in time to bring a stereo pair to IOWA.

jr@mac
  • Are those the 15" you got from me?
  • PWRRYD said:
    Are those the 15" you got from me?
    Yes they are. :)
  • That is serious monkey coffin action, my friend.
    I have a signature.
  • Holy Carp - those are huge! Can't wait to hear them in a few weeks. Glad I don't have to beast them out my basement.
  • Ran into a slight problem. I made a slight tweak to the crossover and am short a resistor. Does anyone have a spare of this resistor?

I dug through my parts stash and somehow this is the only 1 ohm resistor I own.
  • Tom_S said:
    Holy Carp - those are huge! Can't wait to hear them in a few weeks. Glad I don't have to beast them out my basement.
    Hey Tom! Look forward to seeing you in a few weeks. These will just be in bare plywood finish, but they'll be there.