Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Can you hear me now?

I guess car audio has changed some since my teens but it appears to still be centered on LOUD.  If you want to skip the cannon fodder, it gets interesting around 23 minutes in.   

Comments

• I watched just a small snippet - impressive fabrication work. I like the way they integrated the ipads into the dash. Didn't watch much of the sound demo - can't stand rap music! Obviously not designed for SQ. 100Kw is ridiculous. I've mixed arena shows on fairly loud rigs with 1/4 of that power. 
  • Around 23 minutes he tries to throw a towel out the window and it just levitates in the open window shaking like a bowl of jello after a hard thump.  It stays there until he turns the music? down.  
  • What a waste.
  • Watched a few other super-high spl car audio vids and no one appears to have any ear protection.  Why?  Are they already deaf, does hearing protection not make any difference at this level, or does bass at this level not affect hearing?  Puzzled ...  
  • So much road noise in my Jeep, I don't turn on the radio.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Kornbread said:
    Watched a few other super-high spl car audio vids and no one appears to have any ear protection.  Why?  Are they already deaf, does hearing protection not make any difference at this level, or does bass at this level not affect hearing?  Puzzled ...  
    Even at low frequency hearing protection should be used. And muffs are really the only way to do that. In-ear are not effective. So many of these people are under the mistaken belief that low frequency spl won't effect high freq audibility later. It absolutely does. Back when I was really working the car audio scene, I started using hearing protection whenever I demoed. Glad I did as I still have good hearing to over 16k at 50 years old!
  • edited November 2019
     A few years ago at MWAF, a car audio guy was showing me his sports utility vehicle setup with big block V8, super long fan belt, and 6 alternators connected in series!!!   He said that if he cranks it up when sitting at a stop light, the alternators bog the engine down so badly that he has to "throttle" back the volume control a little just to be able to pull away from the stop light!!!    :o
  • Most hearing protection becomes increasingly less effective as frequency drops, pretty much for the same reason as wall treatments are generally not going to absorb and block low frequencies. In this respect, doing high SPL, low frequency "show off" events the addition of hearing protection is probably minimally beneficial. 
    I have a signature.
  • Must have been a big block Mopar LOL.

Seriously if you do the math he was completely full of shit or just an idiot or both. 
  • Ah yes. The Spl days. Most of them are just ignorant about ear protection.