Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Another Aliexpress driver...

...this is a 3", aluminum cone with 20mm voice coil and a phase plug. It uses the same 98mm cast basket as the other Aliexpress driver I recently started testing on. This is a 4 ohm driver, and looks very similar to Dayton RS stuff but with a significant motor difference.

This has a neo ring motor. 

Check this out:

I didn't really do any break-in on them. They are pretty stiff suspension, but that impedance curve indicates the phase plug is doing its shorting ring thing, and the small diameter voice coil is also contributing to a reduced Le rise. The motor is very powerful for it's size. 

Loudspeaker parameters:

Fs  = 101.75 Hz
Re  = 3.61 ohms[dc]
Le  = 72.70 uH
L2  = 156.04 uH
R2  = 4.38 ohms
Qt  = 0.23
Qes = 0.23
Qms = 9.20
Mms = 1.95 grams
Rms = 0.135766 kg/s
Cms = 0.001252 m/N
Vas = 1.41 liters
Sd= 28.27 cm^2
Bl  = 4.408124 Tm
ETA = 0.61 %
Lp(2.83V/1m) = 93.44 dB

Added Mass Method:
Added mass = 4.65 grams
Diameter= 6.00 cm

I approximated the Sd due to the phase plug - I just entered diameter until it came up the same as the Dayton PS95, although it is technically a little more radiating surface due to the smaller phase plug. 

So the smaller voice coil, the shorting ring, the extremely high sensitivity (check that out) means I may have finally found my 98mm midrange upgrade for the Maggies. I don't think it would make a woofer worth a shit due to the low Qts and small voice coil, but I bet it will be a great midrange driver. We'll see. I am waiting for the 4 ohm version of the glass fiber cone to show up, the 8 ohm model I have is too low sensitivity to bother with. 

So an ultra high Qms, probably very low distortion, extremely high sensitivity, and a buy it price of $25/each. Shipped. What's not too like? If the linear distortion is kept to a minimum, this makes this driver a candidate for a serious budget friendly high end design. Thermal power handling might be a concern, but it likely does not have a lot of output potential below 300-400Hz anyways, so musical energy this driver sees will be minimized in any event. I'll have a testing marathon as soon as the last driver shows up, and update these threads with in-box and distortion squigglies.

I have a signature.
ugly_wooferkenrhodeshifisideJasonPkennyk

Comments

• Very interesting! I'll be curious to see how smooth the squiggles are and where the breakup lands. 
  • How much did duty increase the price?
  • No idea, have not seen any additional charges for anything I have bought.
    I have a signature.
  • Looks great. Of course, now wondering about FR smoothness and distortion specs.
    If those are good, I could see a couple of these for Christmas.
    UR right, nice high QMS. Break 'em in, hope T/S is still good.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Aww what a cute little squawker ;)
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • In true JR fashion, it took me some time to get to this - but it is Summer Project 3.

I took an in-box today. The driver flange is considerably thicker than the driver I am replacing, so it should be considered only half flush mounted. The results are encouraging enough for me to pursue modifying the driver cutout to ensure a closer to flush mount.

And here it is relative to the MCM drivers in the Maggie cabinet:

This is a serious upgrade, in my considered opinion, to the MCM KB 3" driver that used to be in there.

So yeah, if the driver is still available it is likely worth the money. One word of caution, the phase plugs might be loose. I was able to turn one out by hand. Before I get too much deeper into this project I will be applying a very light coat of adhesive/threadlocker to the threads and re-installing.

6thplanetTurn2kennykrjj45
    I have a signature.