Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

You can't polish a turd.......

But you might be able to dress it up ;)

My first set of speakers I built used the DS175 and the DC28F - I modeled the woofer in WinISD and slapped the drivers into a box with 1" port and used an online crossover calculator to make a crossover :o I used those for a while then built a few published designs after that. The boxes got turfed and the drivers got moved into an old stereo console and then onto the shelf where they have sat for a few years. 

I recently bought a bunch of veneer from a guy here in town and some of it was curly maple, which I have wanted to use for quite a while. So I thought how about taking another look at my first build. So I came up with a plan for an enclosure using the veneer and then some BB on the sides. I cut up some MDF and made some boxes and glued a cherry strip onto the BB to use for a round over on the front edges of the box.

In hindsight I should of just made a normal box as I ran into a few of what I will call "finishing fails" . Because of the wavy texture of the veneer when you fill a gap next to it with filler it is really hard to sand the filler out of the low spots of the veneer. Also on the back side for whatever reason I ended up with these lighter stripes on the veneer next to the plywood. I tried to sand them out but didn't want to sand too much and go through the veneer. 

The staining from the wood filler is a little hard to see in the picture but in person it is quite noticeable. I was thinking of calling these the FF's - but not named after the Ferrari ๐Ÿ˜
6thplanetdcibelGowadynamo

Comments

• I think they look really nice: are you going to have another optic at the crossovers so they will sound as good as they look-I'm assuming the online calculators may not have worked as well as you'd hoped?

Geoff

• There ya go, Chris already has you covered.
    PWRRYD
  • For those drivers, I would have used bare MDF or BB and been done with it, but the curly maple is purty.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I think they look really nice: are you going to have another optic at the crossovers so they will sound as good as they look-I'm assuming the online calculators may not have worked as well as you'd hoped?

Geoff

I sure am! I have an OmniMic and Dats now so I can take proper measurements to design a crossover. I think I recall seeing that thread on PE when I was searching for info on the DS175 - I already have a preliminary crossover pieced together but it might be fun to input Chris' values and see what happens :)

rjj45 said:
    For those drivers, I would have used bare MDF or BB and been done with it, but the curly maple is purty.
    I just wanted to see how the maple was to work with before jumping into a new build - I wouldn't be disappointed if this build doesn't work out. 
    rjj45
  • For fun I took some measurements today with my crossover and the one that was mentioned in the PE thread above. Definitely quite a noticeable difference between the two crossovers -  and was quite audible as well just listening to the OmniMic sweep.

My crossover,

Chris'

Also for just experimenting I put some car audio sound deadener on the basket of one of the woofers and took some distortion measurements between the two to see if there would be a difference, I would say the results were negligible at best - what do you guys think?

With the deadener,

And without,

• I wouldn't call that negligible. The baskets on those Designer series are the cheapest crap, ever. 
    kenrhodes
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    I wouldn't call that negligible. The baskets on those Designer series are the cheapest crap, ever. 
    OK - I will treat the other one to then๐Ÿ‘
    kenrhodes
  • Looks like it works.  That might help a few of my cheap drivers.  
  • That might also work on the Peerless/Tymphany SDS series of woofers, which also use rather thin material for the baskets.  Will have to work out where to buy the stuff as it's not widely available here (Oz).

Thanks for the idea!

Geoff

• That might also work on the Peerless/Tymphany SDS series of woofers, which also use rather thin material for the baskets.  Will have to work out where to buy the stuff as it's not widely available here (Oz).

Thanks for the idea!

Geoff

Geoff - look up Car Builders Sound Deadening - I have seen it used on some Aussie 4wd builds. 
  • The Peerless stamped baskets are really well made. I would not fret about them.

Thanks for the idea!

Geoff

Geoff - look up Car Builders Sound Deadening - I have seen it used on some Aussie 4wd builds. 

Thanks, I'll have an optic at car accessory shops.  I think the problem might be that I don't wish to buy a large amount.

Geoff

• Wolf said:
    The Peerless stamped baskets are really well made. I would not fret about them.

Thank you!

Geoff

• For fun I took some measurements today with my crossover and the one that was mentioned in the PE thread above. Definitely quite a noticeable difference between the two crossovers -  and was quite audible as well just listening to the OmniMic sweep.

My crossover,

Chris'

But, but, but....  it just needed another Zobel   :#
    squamishdrockenrhodesjr@mac
  • Took a few pictures in the sun today =)

PWRRYDTurn2tajanesdcibel6thplanetSilver1omo
  • sorry, took me a bit to see the speakers (ha)
    so, where are you - looks great
    squamishdroc
  • @tajanes put the word "squamish" into your favourite search engine.

@squamishdroc those baffles look great! You've inspired me to take my last speaker project to the patio for some photos in the sun, stay tuned...still haven't had my coffee. Priorities :)
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • dcibel said:
    @tajanes put the word "squamish" into your favourite search engine.

@squamishdroc those baffles look great! You've inspired me to take my last speaker project to the patio for some photos in the sun, stay tuned...still haven't had my coffee. Priorities :)
    Thanks - yes, coffee first =)